• Strong emotional and psychological impact

I believe that adultery is the same as any other crime, such as stealing and murder. It affects a lot of people, and the emotional and psychological impact on the people involved can be devastating. Research has proven that children from broken families are less likely to become successful in life, as well as having psychological issues of their own.

A corporate spy can serve jail time for committing a Criminal Breach of Trust, so why should this be any different? A marriage is built on trust, and as such, any action that betray said trust should be made punishable by law.

• Simple, Get your divorce first!

To all those on the no side trying to separate government from marriage, This is a legal contract! You both sign, As does a witness, A legal contract you then turn into the courthouse when you get married, At least in my state. It's interesting that there are consequences for every other breach of legal contract but not this one? You are still in effect breaching a legal contract.
    Fine, Government should not be part of relationships, Then don't choose to get married in the first place! You can take this stance if you remain un-married and have an have a relationship just the same.
    And you're all just making excuses so it's ok for you to cheat because this is simple. Nobody's telling you/them you can't choose who you love or who you sleep with. We're saying you need to be respectful, Decent human beings either way. All it takes is working through the issues, Even if that means divorce, Before you go sleeping with someone else. Simple respect. Sleep with whomever you want after.
    And if you have kids what about the impact on them? My kids had to wonder why someone else was sleeping with their mother than their father. I guess the karma here is the hated her for a couple years and they still don't respect her today.
    And then yes, What about me. There IS a victim. Unless you have been on that side, You have NO idea of the pain it causes to all those around you.

• Adultery is illegal and if its made legal den i truly believe dat our judiciary has become corrupt!

Adultery is illegal and if its made legal den i truly believe dat our judiciary has become corrupt! It is an offense and a mental torture towards ur partner!
    By legalising it ur giving a chance to one of dem to commit crime. This is pathetic and against indian values and belief!

• Adultery is legally breaking a contract

When 2 people get married they sign a marital contract. No different than signing a mortgage contract, Auto loan contract, Etc. If you break the contract on your house or your auto loan, The bank comes in and takes it from you. For some reason if you break a marital contract there are no legal repercussions, Which makes it an illegitimate contract. I have been in the military a long time and if I am found guilty of adultery, I can be discharged or even put in a federal prison (depending on the evidence). I have seen MANY military families destroyed by the act of adultery. I was deployed with a friend who took his own life because of his wife’s adultery while he was deployed serving this country. Adultery is not a victimless crime. The scars from adultery are felt for years if not a lifetime. Until states or the federal government start providing consequences for this disgusting act, Then divorce rates in this country will continue to soar and families will continue to be destroyed. Reading some of these responses makes it clear to me how far down in the sewer our American culture has gone. In case you were wondering, I am not a religious individual, Just a moral one.

• It not only destroys a marriage it destroys the lives of your children.

The emotional pain effects whole families as well as the partner of the adulterer. The adulterer basically cheats on the children as well as the partner. If the adulterer wants to sleep with some one other than their partner , then leave the partner or divorce and get on with it. Don't destroy people.

• Make Adultery A Crime

My wife has been cheating on me for over a year & I just found out. Even worse than that, nothing can be done about it! WTF!!!!! How is this not a punishable crime!? How can she betray her family and there be no consequences!? She asked for a divorce stating that I wasn't a good husbund but I soon after found evidence that she has been lieing to me and out 2 boys for OVER A YEAR!!!!!!!!!! I have been led to believe she is unhappy because of me, but now I know what she has done and how she is handling it. We got a divorce yesterday and out kids still don't know. How do we tell them? This is going to destroy their world!!! I don't know who the people are that allowed this act to be deemed OK, but I am going to help in any way I can to change this!!! Something MUST be done to change this law. There is NOTHING you can do to a person worse that this!

• Adultery is a form of rape.

I am a male rape victim. Going through that was toture. It changed me in the years after, completely altered my sense of self and left me broken for several years, but in the moment was the worst violation I could imagine. I dabbled in hard drugs, refused to use my birth name, because the person i was, was weak and probably deserved it in my eyes. Years went by and I got my life together. Dated a girl for 4 years. Got engaged. Then she cheated on me. I don't know how to describe this new low. I didn't leave her because there was no "me" left to do so. No will power, nor energy, nor desire to live. I wanted to die. To kill. Murder became the only thing I cared about and I became obsessed. It was the only concept that made me feel strong. Years passed again, this time without any healing. I married her while wishing she had been raped rather than coerced. Dark thoughts were all I knew. We divorced 4 years later and I was free, but it had changed me even more than being molested as a child. You see the cheating violated me in exactly the way being molested did, but on a deeper, more personal level.
    So yes; make it illegal on pain of death. I'll start gathering stones.

• Cheating is fraud

If you sell a product saying it contains certain ingredients and the buyer buys the product based on what you say it contains, there is an agreement between you and the buyer. If the product is found to contain other ingredients than you state it does, you are found guilty of fraud to the damage of the buyer. In relationship, there is an agreement of fidelity. If you make your partner believe that you are faithful, when you aren't, you are committing fraud. It's like selling a product that doesn't contain what it promises. It's so weird that fraud and deception shouldn't be punished by the law.

• Adultery is not a victimless crime.

If we could see the emotional scars like we see physical scars, no one would any longer dispute that something big must be done. It is out of control and destroying lives. Suicides, murders, drugs, alcohol, depression, neglect of children by victim unable to function because of the distress caused...

• Even though its wrong

I completely think that it is wrong to cheat on your spouse but at the same time you shouldn't punish someone for cheating because both people knew this could happen to either of them. It is just a matter of fact that they trusted the wrong person. We have all done it weather in high school or in relationships throughout life. It takes two to tango

• Making Adultery illegal only works if you are going to accept groundless divorce

Traditionally, adultery has been required as grounds for divorce. Making adultery illegal would, in effect, make divorce illegal, unless you are prepared to accept divorce on a "no fault" basis.

But accepting that marriage can be dissolved on a "no fault" basis legally, undermines the concept of it as being legally viewed as a lifelong union, accepting breaking the marital vows.

Ironically therefore, it is necessary for adultery to be legal, in order for a marriage to be legally dissolved, unless you're willing to accept "no fault" divorce, which undermines the definition of marriage in the first place.

• Relationships are no business of the government.

The argument that it destroys the life of the victims, i.e. children or spouse who was cheated on, is false because that would mean it should be illegal to fire someone from their job.

To the emotional aspect: Man is not affected by events but by the view he takes of them. In other words, if you take offense to the actions of another, it is your fault. You were not murdered, you were done no physical injustice but to hurt someone's feelings. By that logic, rejection should be illegal (even if that is a slippery slope).

As to the idea of a contract, the debate is whether adultery should be part of that contract, so therefore the idea of "it's a contract and violating that contract is a crime" is false.

• Government is not moral police

Now are you going to ask for punishment if somebody hook with you and then later refuse to have relationship with you?

Or maybe your partner should be punished because he want to break up with you.

I don't deny what happened is horrible. But still the most I feel law should do is to expedite divorce process in such cases

• Government is not moral police

• Government is not moral police

• What constitutes cheating, exactly?

Is cheating sex? Kissing? Holding hands? Sending risqué photos? Love letters? What about feeling mesmerized by another person? Can we only "cheat" with sex or feelings? How about cheating a partner out of money; if I quit working, am I cheating my spouse? What if I spend like crazy? What if I stop having sex with my spouse? Or if I spend all my time watching tv? If I meet someone and fall in love and divorce my spouse before having sex with the new person is that cheating? And, if I get divorced because I want to have sex with someone else, or fall in love with someone else, how long do I have to wait after getting divorced to get started on my life? Can I have any contact with a member of the opposite sex while married? I get how devastating it can feel to discover your partner is unfaithful but who apportions blame and how? Let's be honest: a whole lot of marriages are just two people living like roommates and raising kids. Comfortable enough and maybe even easy and efficient, but about as stimulating as warm milk. No doubt, the person "betrayed" is rocked by having his or her comfy situation disturbed, but why does the "cheating" spouse owe his/her life to preserving their spouse's happiness at the expense of his/her own? I'll make the argument that parents should try damn hard to at least get all their kids to adulthood before splitting up, but that might mean both parents tolerating some degree of discomfort (e.G. Accepting your spouse is having sex outside the marriage or postponing moving on with your life and staying in your dull marriage) until your youngest graduates from high school. I think a lot of people who are cheated-on are the more vulnerable party in the couple. That's scary because you fear losing your lifestyle, but no one owes us a plush living if providing for us means losing for themselves. It seems most likely that most of those arguing in favor of punishment are the abandoned and betrayed. Yes, you are wounded but why should the State prefer maintaining your fantasies and lifestyle over that of the person who wants to move on from you?

• Do you need the courts or government to protect your shitty marriages?

C'mon now. How many more laws do we need? How much more should the government be involved in our personal lives? If you're married and either you or your spouse cheats, that's on you, your spouse and anyone else involved.

Adultery leads to violence? So does cutting people off in traffic. Control yourself.

Third parties? That single person who boned your whore wife/husband wasn't married. Your whore wife/husband is. Take it up with them.

Stop being such pansies and regulate yo' shit.

• Why would it be?

You cheat on your partner so what ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?? ? ? ? ?? ? ?? ? ???? ??? ? ? ? ?? ? ? ?? ? ?? ? ? ? ? ?? ? ? ?? ?? ??????? ? ? ?? ?

>