• Yes, I think we need to make a change.

As a nation, we have grown, been through painful and traumatic events, and learned to live with one another. We have helped one another through natural disasters and assorted hardships. I think we need to change the National Anthem to a song that speaks of the family of man, hope, and the American spirit that keeps us all together. Perhaps the next National Anthem could be selected by popular vote.

• The anthem should not change

The national anthem should not change. It has great historical importance and it is an acurate depiction of this great country. Some people feel it is too violent in its lyrics but that is not the case. It is a song that the a American citizens can be very proud of.

• Just because it's old doesn't mean it's the best we can do. . .

The arguments for keeping it seem to be based more in nostalgia than anything else. We've changed it before and we can change it again. Historical context for this song is pretty damning, As other posts are pointing out. It's a pretty song but everything else about it is on the cons list.

• The song is incredibly difficult to sing

I do not know about you, But I cannot sing the national anthem for the life of me. Our most patriotic song should be something that everyone can sing, And a song like "America the Beautiful" or "My Country Tis of Thee" would be a much better fit than the "Star Spangled Banner"

• Yes it should

America has changed dramatically over the course of 200 hundred years ago. Things have changed, Should the national anthem to? To fit modern views, And modern america. There are no more slaves, No more hirelings, No more wars with British, And definitely no more horrible white wigs. I agree

• Original, beautiful inclusive lyrics - singer friendly

Easier to sing, more beautiful lyrics and more complimentary to our country and it's natural beauty. Our current anthem is based on a british song's lyrics and is too difficult to sing. "Oh Beautiful" was penned by a woman and a man wrote the music. It is a collaboration and truly American.

• It has only been our anthem since 1931.

Though the battle for Fort McHenry defeated the British, it lasted only 24 hours and was not a defining moment in the war, is difficult to sing, and the only meaningful line is "o'er the land of the free and home of the brave". Why should our national anthem be about war and bombs?

• If we have a new anthem, America will lose history of the War of 1812, As the song is forgotten over lengthy periods of time.

The Star-Spangled Banner was born on the back of a letter, Early in the morning of September 14, 1814. Did you know that the author Francis Scott Key simply wrote what he saw? So if you think this is too violent, Then look back on our country’s history. How many wars have we fought? Do we really want to forget what happened? If we do, Then what about the people who fought for our freedom? Do we want to forget them? This is why I think that even though some people believe that this song is too violent, It actually describes a major time in our history.

• I love it

Oh, Say can you see by the dawn’s early light
    What so proudly we hailed at the twilight’s last gleaming?
    Whose broad stripes and bright stars thru the perilous fight,
    O’er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?
    And the rocket’s red glare, The bombs bursting in air,
    Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
    Oh, Say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
    O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave

• No, We should NOT change the National Anthem.

First supporting point is that the entire argument of changing the American National Anthem is ridiculous. If any of the entries and opinions, To which everyone is entitled to have, Is a indication of the reasons to change the anthem, The most frequent reason that comes up at least on a surface level is that the anthem is TOO HARD TO SING?

People, Elevate your ability, Please. I am abominable at singing and remembering many things, But I have never had trouble memorizing the lyrics to the National Anthem.

I have seen people express that the song is about "war and bombs" and that is such a very surface and shallow interpretation of the lyrics and meaning behind them. The lyrics of the the song is speaking of Hope and Determination, And Endurance in the face of adversity.

The person who wrote that song was looking out and able to see that the American Flag was still standing as a battle and war raged around it and it gave that person hope that soldiers were still fighting.

Personally, I find the National Anthem to be incredibly inspirational, And it is one of the few traditions that is wholesome and uplifting.

Plain and simple, If you cannot memorize the words, Give a better effort. The National Anthem is beautiful, Uplifting, And poetry at its best. I believe it to be more than adequate for the spirit of the country.

• Why we should keep our National Anthem

The reason why we need to keep our National Anthem is because it is the most symbolic out of the other ones. Its the one that really talks about the battle we fought and how we won. The other songs just talk about the land and how it is beautiful.

• Change national anthem

200 years or not, it is history, changing history is communuism. People claiming it is racist are ignorant of American History. “Hireling” – British use of Mercenaries (German Hessians). “Slave” – British practice of impressement. This was important cause of 1812 War. Stop causing division & go get a job.

• I don't think we should change the star spangled banner

Changing the national anthem is like changing how we play baseball games and football games, etc. If we change it we would be changing one of Americas famous traditions. Its easy to say I disagree to changing it. DO NOT CHANGE IT PLEASE. And if people say that its hard to sing I think it should be because it needs to be song very well because it is such a good song.

• It's a tradition.

No, America should not change its National Anthem, because what we have has been used in the United States for a long time. We should not change something that is so ingrained in history and around the world. We would also never be able to agree on what to replace it with. We should keep what works.

• No, not at all.

We should keep the United States National Anthem as it is right now. I have never heard a more beautiful one in my life. It really speaks volumes of how proud and successful the USA is and all of the hardships it has endured and overcame. Keep the Star Spangled Banner.

• America National Anthem

I personally disagree,People have been trying to state that the US should adopt a new anthem, and that "The Star Spangled Banner" is outdated, and not as good as it should be as an anthem. But this is untrue. People have been using this song for centuries. Why take time to learn and memorize a new one? This is a simply ridiculous proposal. Plus, this is a tradition. Why abandon our tradition? Traditions are traditions, and we should not abandon traditions. We all need to stand strong against the proposal of a new anthem.