Should American public schools ban American flags in the school if certain circumstances call for it?

• We are a world.

"The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion" - Thomas Paine.

We are human beings sharing a planet, and to separate ourselves into factions is unnecessary. To be a patriot is to put your country above and before others which is completely wrong and leads to xenophobia and war.To keep a flag up is pointless, and does nothing but indoctrinate the feeling in impressionable children that they should be proud of their country. Your government needs people to feel patriotic so that you will go to war and die for their purposes, if people realised that we are all the same, that we're all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, and that we are truly insignificant, then maybe we wouldn't kill our fellow man to satisfy a few men in power.

These are not problems that can solved by taking a flag down, but keeping it up will only perpetuate the belief. We should be proud of the people we are not the place we live and if this was taught in schools, then whether or not the flag should stay up would be a mute point.

P.S. Also please chanting USA, you sound like morons,

Kind Regards,
    The Rest of the World

• We don’t need them

Like seriously I mean students are sick and tired of seeing the American flag ok and yes I think that American public schools should absolutely ban American flags ok ok ok and Yes I think that American public schools should ban American flags for good ok ok ok good bye

• Why not? National patriotism is simply pointless.

This is speaking from an entirely U.S perspective: There is nothing objective, productive, or useful produced from patriotism expressed by any person, organization, entity or institute in any way. While I am not against a persons right to express patriotism for any entity (or anything) that they want to express patriotism for, there is technically no direct need for it. Schools should be able to choose whether they use the flag or not ultimately. The objective of schools is to educate and prepare kids for the future, nothing more.

There is absolutely no reason for anyone to care about whether a school decides to stop using the American flag or not. As said before: "The objective of schools is to educate and prepare kids for the future, nothing more."

To answer the question being asked more directly, if certain circumstances somehow call for the flag to be banned, go for it right away, no debate.

• No, American flags should never be banned in schools.

I can't think of any single circumstance that would call for removal or banning of the American flag in American schools. Any problems a school may be facing should be dealt with at the source of the problem and a symbol of the country will never be the actual source of the problem. No matter what the country or school is going through, banning the flag may alleviate the symptoms temporarily but never actually get to the root cause.

• That's a foolish idea.

I cannot imagine any circumstances where American schools would need to ban the national flag. On a cynical level, I look at it as branding. American taxpayers are funding (sponsoring) that school, so brand America should be represented there with the flag. If you run a private school and get no public funds (and that includes vouchers) then sure, display (or not) what you want.

• No, American flags should not ever be banned in public schools

The American flag is an important part of our history and our culture. I can see of no reason why a display of an American flag in an American public school should ever be a problem. The American flag flies at post offices, in schools and churches, at National cemeteries, and on many private homes and businesses. It should stay displayed in public schools.

• There is no reason to ban the flag.

The American flag should be free to fly in every foot of this country. There should be no restrictions on this aside from unsafe acts. The only way the flag should be limited in schools is if its portrayal or mounting endangers students. Any other restrictions on the flag are not in the spirit this country, the flag, or the people who made it intended.

• Banning the American flag is ridiculous.

Why would you not want to support America if you chose to live here? If you don't like it move! I can understand not like a certain political person, but all of America? Unless it is a privet school. Privet school can do whatever they want per say but the American flag should most definitely not be banned from schools.

• There is no need.

Why would America ban the flag in school? What circumstances are there that would call for the removal of the flag? If there was some extreme circumstance then probably but I cant think of any. I think having pride and patriotic feelings for your country can only be a good thing. Flying the flag in schools helps install this belief.

• Schools need to display the American flag at all times.

There should be no certain circumstances. The American flag should be displayed in American public schools at all times. Regardless of the number of immigrants, the ethnicities, or the location, there still needs to be an American flag. Everyone, all generations, all people, need to see that flag and understand that it is a symbol of freedom.

• Under what circumstances would an American flag be inappropriate?

Sorry, I'm struggling to understand exactly what type of "certain circumstances" would warrant banning the American flag from public schools in this country. This is the United States; the flag of this country should be proudly displayed in every public school in this country. I think private schools should display the flag as well, but I would say that they have the right to make this decision.

• If you aren't willing to stand by this flag, then find a new one If you don't like the flag, move out

If you aren't willing to stand by this flag, then find a new one If you don't like the flag, move out, if you moved in and are still proud of the culture and country that you fled from and you refuse to pledge allegiance, then why you left your country of origin in the first place?

Live where your loyalties lie...If you can't live where they lie, then it might be time to change those loyalties.

Posted by: N711
  • If one is that bothered by the flag, he shouldn't be in a America, let alone a public school.

Is there anyone more irritating than the person who lives in a country they despise and tries to make everyone follow suit? There is no special circumstance imaginable that makes removal of the flag appropriate. Call it a crazy cultural tradition, but America believes in respecting the flag in public places and we're far from the only country to feel that way.