• Yes, up until they're old enough to decide for themselves.

As children are growing up, they are under the care and guidance of their parents. They are also under their parents' rules. However, once children reach the age of eighteen, they're legal adults and can start making their own decisions. At that point, they can choose whether or not to follow the religion they were raised under.

• Is this even a question?

While the opinion itself is somewhat taken out of context, I do believe that parents should bring up their children as they see fit, shaping their worldview as they will, and, when they're older and can fully understand what they believe and why they believe it, then they need no more shaping. I remember hearing a story about two men, both with gardens. They're examining both, and one is flawless and orderly, the other is dry and chaotic. The first man asks the other why his garden is so disorderly. He replies that he wanted it to let it grow on its own, and structure itself. This is similar to child-rearing, because, when young, children are basically empty shells waiting to be filled with the world around them. It's a parent's job to ensure that their child will behave appropriately, and will obviously teach them to accept what they believe. With this structure of knowledge in place, the child develops the capacity to learn why they believe what they believe. Young children are irrational by nature, and require structure, not explanation.

• Depends on reasons and maturity of the child

Parents who practice a religion would likely involve their children in any religious activity that they would practice. At first, the child would believe it's a normal part of life, but upon contact with other non-believing children, they will feel pressure to stop following their rituals, so as to fit in with the majority of kids who don't practice a religion. A child, if well educated in his religion, may choose to adhere for a while, but they may eventually succumb to peer pressure and cease practicing their rituals. That, coupled with the fact that schools mostly only teach the theory of evolution as being the correct theory, can make a child doubt his religion. If following the religion is actually in their best interests (eg: making them a better person), it's worthwhile to keep on practicing it, and it will help if the child feels a sense of enjoyment in doing so.

Next, the maturity of the child is also a factor to consider. If a young child tells his parents that he no longer wants to keep on practicing their rituals, it's likely because they were coerced into doing so by one of their peers. It's not a well thought-out or informed decision. It's one taken by someone else who doesn't share the same beliefs, and who wishes that the child in question does. However, if the child is mature enough to take such a decision, and presents good reasons why he chooses to take such a course of action, he or she should be allowed to pursue such a path. Otherwise, if again practicing their parent's religion is in their best interests, then it would be beneficial for them to do so, and their parents should make sure of that.

• No they don't have to

Kids are people. Forcing them to follow your religion is treating them like things. If they don't want to follow your religion, Deal with it. Sure, You can make them go to the religious place with you if it is not home alone. But you should teach your kids to respect religion. If you don't respect that they are atheist, You will teach them that it is okay to be disrespectful to religion. Disrespecting atheism is as bad as disrespecting atheism. If they are another religion, You should allow that. People should not discriminate others and you doing it will make it worse.

• Children should never be forced to follow their parent's religion

I am a child whose parents have forced to follow and abide by their religious laws. I feel awkward in public wearing the clothes I am forced to dress in and I am constantly teased and bullied. I do not believe in what my parents do and I do think I should have to respect their beliefs and not tell them they are wrong, But being forced into a lifestyle that doesn't suit you or your personality is horrible.
    If you are a parent seeking advice on here, Please take my advice and don't push it onto them. If you do they will not be happy with you and might even consider ending their lives because of what they are forced to do.
    -Anonymous

• Freedom of religion

Freedom of religion is a human right. There's a reason we don't call it an adult right. It applies to everyone including children. Forcing a religion on a child is just as wrong as forcing it on an adult. Everyone should be free to choose their own religion, And to convert to a different one at any age.

• My perants force me to go to religious school.

The school is on Saturday and is 4 hours long and in the middle of the day. I'm a atheist I respect others religions but I hate it when perants force religion as for I considered suicide. I also would feel very bad for other going through the same thing

• When the child is old enough to understand how they feel, They should be given choice.

My partner was forced into religion and still is (seeing as we're both young) and he has grown contempt for all of religion as a whole. He is aware of the fact that not everything in a religion is bad, But the way he was taught has given him contempt for it, And in turn, A severed relationship with his parents, And many a psychological issue. In some instances, Getting a child to follow a religion is okay, But in the case of my partner (explanation - they're Christians), Shaming your child for developing like a normal child does, Into a teenager, In the name of Jesus Christ, Is just plain cruel, As anyone could obviously see that he wouldn't have stood for that, As well as it being morally wrong.
    TL;DR - sometimes, Forcing religious ideals on your child, Or using a religious figure as an excuse to however maltreat your child, Is bad. If you want your child, In youth, To follow that religion, Let them learn about it and not just tell them what you want to know. And if your child is old enough (and I don't mean 18) to know and understand what type of person they'd like to be, You should let them. Because not letting them to be who they want to be is little more than cruelty.

• No, They are free to choose once mature.

When a child starts to look into religion/gets mature, They should be able to decide whether or not they should follow what they’re parents follow. In retrospect, Parents should respect their choice, Because a parents should always look to make their child happy and supportive. Everyone in America has the freedom of religion, Including children.

• Superstition and Fairy Tales

Forcing religion on children at a young age is wrong, Because they are in no position to rationally assess the feasibility of the belief system, And to decide for themselves if they wish to follow it. For some, Religion is joined at the hip with culture, Which makes it even worse. If it is to be taught at all in school, Then it should not be presented as fact but just as a choice some people make.

In my opinion, If young people are to be indoctrinated with anything, It should with be with empirical logic, And not with magical fairy stories that supposedly happened thousands of years ago.

• Children Should Have a Choice

People don’t know what it’s like to be forced into being religious! My parents force me to be religious, It’s awful, You have no choice, No freedom, You can’t be yourself. They threaten me if I go against religion. I feel miserable because of this. Please do not do this.

• Parents shouldn’t force religion on their kids.

Still being considered a “child”, I can’t exactly say this from an adult’s point of view, But my what I can say is that it’s not good for the parent nor the child. The child may think of service as a waste of time, And during service they may feel like they are nearly dying of boredom. Being forced to be Christian, I always feel like I want to run out of the church and wait in the car. I’ve talked to my parents about my beliefs many times, But all they say is, “You just haven’t expirenced God yet. ” and more things along those lines. Personally, I think of my parents in a negative wah when it comes to this. In my opinion, They should let me believe what I want to believe.

• My parents hate me now, I'm 15

A couple weeks ago I told my parents I didn't want to be Mormon and since then they have forced me to go to everything, since forcing me we have become farther away with each other, It's also bad when I have a step dad that's forcing me and I was refusing to go last week when he kicked my door down after locking it