Should children have homework during the summer (yes), or should they be given a break (no)?

• No no no no no

The moment the word holiday strikes our mind, we think of going out and enjoying with friends, having fun, chilling and of course relaxing a lot. BUT, schools nowadays have made it so worse that children end up doing holiday homework till the last day of the vacation.We already work in school for 6-8 hours and 10 months. We also get 2-3 hours of homework on school days. When we think of vacations, it's like hurray...It's time for vacation after so much of hard work..Wait, but are we getting homework?Oh yes, you think the school is so kind to leave us for one single vacation....Nooooo...The whole lot of joy goes down the drain. People think we are gaining knowledge by writing down and sticking a lot of pictures neatly and making a well decorated project...Nooooo… So I desperately think that we should not have holiday homework....And if they really really want us to do something, they can give us sensible books to read....It's a burden for the whole family.

• Yes children should have homework during summer

Children should have homework during the summer so that they don't forget the things they learned during the year. Children should receive a packet to do over vacation that will review what they know and teach them new things. This will be better so that teachers won't have to review after vacation and they can just teach new things.

• Yes, reinforcement is critical.

As much as kids might hate it, a little bit of work over the summer break would greatly benefit kids. Learning is a process that must be constantly refreshed and over the course of a three month break, kids do not retain many of the things that will be necessary for progress.

• You're dumber in the summer.

Yes, children should have homework during the summer, because children lose a lot of their learning in the summer. Many parents just leave their children to fend for themselves in the summer. They are left to play in the dirt while Mom smokes and collects welfare checks. Homework would be able to help these children do better for the next generation.

• Yes, kids should have summer homework.

I think kids should have homework during the summer. I do not really see any good reason why children should not have any homework during the summer. I think that letting kids have homework during the summer is a good way to teach them how adult life will be like since there are no summer vacations.

• No no no no no

• No no no no no

• Im a kid and i have good reasons

To begin, summer homework is not my favorite thing; for obvious reasons. Kids need a break! No one understands how hard we work! We need summer break, where we can relax, hit the beach, warm up, have no rules, responsibilities or expectations! Kids wait for all breaks and it feels like a million years a day, so winter break is in 12 million years.

Teachthought states that more homework doesn't necessarily equate to higher achievement: A 1989 Duke University study that reviewed 120 studies found a weak link between achievement and homework at the elementary level and only a moderate benefit at the middle school level. In a similar recent review of 60 studies, researchers at Duke found assigning homework was beneficial, but excessive amounts of homework was counterproductive.

Teachthought also says that family time is more important during the holidays: Assigning less homework makes it easier for families to have time together. Family studies at the University of Michigan, show that family time is extremely important to achievement and behavior. Studies on family meals, suggest that students who have dinner with their family have better academic scores.

Teachers think that students should prepare themselves for the school year to come. They also think that students tend to forget things that they learned the year prior. Teachers also think that kids get bored during the break but that is not true at all.

On the other hand the first week of school usually gives the students a refresher. Again, students get a refresher at the beginning of the year and will then remember their past learnings. By the way, I never get bored during break.

In conclusion, summer homework is not a good choice for all the reasons above. More homework doesn't equate to higher achievement, family
    time is more important than homework, teachers give kids head starts and summer never gets boring.

• No WAY! I mean, come ON, its summer VACATION!

We should NOT be given summer homework. Its just cancer. Learning is not needed in the summer. So what if you forget the things you learned. You can relearn next year. You can't expect us to have a "summer vacation" if we have to do study. Its really unfair for kids to have to do work on a non-school day. We already work in school for 6-8 hours and 10 months. We also get 2-3 hours of homework on school days. We need a break over that much hard work. If kids want to learn over the summer, let them! If kids wanna relax over the summer, let them! But its not up to the teachers or parents. Its up to the kids. The rules of summer vacation are: No school or academic classes, No homework or learning, and no waking up early. Summer is for Family, Friends, and Fun. NOT LEARNING!

• It is worthless

Kids never have a chance to spend time with their parents nor have trips with them. If you think about it 10 months of school and homework compared to 2 1/2 to 3 months of summer. I kind of doubt no one forget what they learned and I think their is no possible way for a summer slide to happen. Summer homework has to be back in right away!

• It is worthless

• It isn't worth it at all whatsoever

Summer break is meant to be relaxing at home and go on trips with family and/or friends. Summer vacation is what it says in its name: it's a break. Students have had 10 months of learning plus homework they deserve a break. Even if I were obligated to do reading during the summer and I have always read during the summer but this year even if I'm obligated I am not going to. For once I just want a summer all to myself
    Even for all students that I even feel how the feel about it. Even my mother is agreeing. Summer reading should be banned right away!

• No they should not

They should not have homework over the break because:if they have homework over the break they could spend time away from family,breaks were made to take time away school,and finally it is a popular opinion amongst my peers that most people don't like homework. I think homework is fine just not over the break.

• Like I mean come on,its summer. Why do we need to study.

No. They shouldn't. They need a break. Summer is not an opportunity for kids to be more stressed out than they are. If we had to do it, it would be unfair for kids because they have to study one a non school day. If kids want to learn over the summer, let them! If kids want to have fun over the summer, let them! That choice is not up to parents, teachers, and instructors. Weekends and holidays are more than just sitting at a desk and doing some garbage. The rule of weekends and holidays are: No school, no homework, no learning, no classes, no waking up early. You're free! Weekends and holidays are for family, friends, and fun! Not studies!

• Absolutely not. Just... NO

It is not fair to make kids and adolescents work over vacation time. Yes, we do get breaks over Christmas and Easter and other things, but that's not always enough. Some kids have different situations and require more down-time because of a disability or what-have-you. But do schools care? No. And some schools even assign homework over Christmas and Easter. It's just not fair to have a summer "vacation" even though we are being forced to work.

>