• Yes

I believe that in a culture where bullying and irresponsible teaching has become central, video cameras are not a bad idea. I do not believe this right would be executed unfairly and is simply a measure of safety for the students and a monitor of teachers to preform their job correctly.

• If used responsibly.

While I am against intrusive surveillance, I don't think that there is really any expectation of privacy within a school classroom. It would help to ensure that both the teachers and the students didn't do anything irresponsible, and, if it did happen, there would be video evidence. I would prefer if the video itself didn't extend past the principal of the school under normal circumstances, though. There's no reason the government needs to see it.

• They Would Help

Yes, classrooms should have video cameras. Having video cameras in the classroom would make both the teachers and older students monitor their behavior a little more. Kids would not be so quick to misbehave since their actions would be recorded and could be replayed for parents and authorities. Teachers might also improve their classroom skills since principals would probably scan videos to monitor performance. So even though classroom cameras could be termed an invasion of privacy by many, the benefits outweigh the invasion.

• Yes, cameras could be a huge help

Having cameras installed in each individual classroom can help stop bullying and violence in the classroom. There are cases of teacher abuse that could be easily detected before they get out of hand if only video surveillance is available. We have the technology to patrol all of our country's classrooms from locations throughout, we should take advantage of it.

Posted by: jus
  • Show What is Really going on

Teachers unions dont want the cameras in the classrooms due to mistrust? Well of course having the superintendent in the classroom the teacher will do his job. When your boss is standing over your shoulder, are you not going to do the best possible job? My childs education is important. He is not going to school to learn how to be lazy and do nothing. When I see some of the paperwork from my child's teacher, it says my son did this or did that. We switched school districts. In one day at the new district, same type of IEP program or special needs or whatever they call it, my son came home with more work in that one day than he did a whole month at his other school. For the whole next week he came home tired from learning with good reports from his teacher. We have since moved back into his old school district, and now the reports of kids doing this and kids doing that. What exactly are these teachers doing in class that allow these kids to behave badly? It is sad that at a school that challenges my kids education, all I get is good reports... but at a school where my kid sits in the same room with really really special needs kids and the only thing wrong with my kid is he is hyper, he gets reports that are really bad? I would like to see cameras in classrooms. How can one school challenge my kid so much and help him to learn so much that he comes home tired with good behavior reports and this school cant do a dang thing?

• Cameras should be In classrooms.

Cameras should be in classrooms because what I was always taught was that school is for learning. The teachers teach and kids learn. If there are cameras in classrooms, people would respect their classroom and even their teachers a bit more. There's nothing to hide, so why hide it with no cameras?

• In case of emergencies, cameras are useful.

I think maybe only one camera should be in the classroom in case someone steals something or someone is cheating on a test. Teachers will be able to catch them by looking at the camera. Anther reason is because there might be someone with a weapon, and the camera will catch the student with the weapon.

• Kids need safety.

Schools should have cameras because of the safety it would provide, not to mention a level of safeness the students and staff would have because of the cameras. The students will be able to pull less stuff. The level of bullying will definitely go down. Isn't that what the students deserve?

• Yes because cameras don't lie.

"A picture is worth a thousand words." Then a video record is worth a million! Being able to show parents how their child behaves in a classroom would be a "wake up" call for both redemptive and proactive action. A video record would be conclusive proof as to what actually happened in a classroom and would save time, money and heartache.

It would also, to put it bluntly, "blow the public's" mind and hopefully begin a meaningful dialogue.

• It would be beneficial, especially for children with special needs.

As a mother of a child with autism with low verbal communication skills, I feel that it would be extremely helpful to know what is going on in the classroom. My son has come home several times with scratches on him and no response from his teacher. When I try to contact her I do not get an answer. This is a grave burden on myself as a mother, and on any parents who have a child with disabilities because of the lack of verbal skills. I have already got an attorney and I am fighting to have cameras installed in my sons classroom as well as have him integrated in general education, along with other factors that would improve his learning abilities.

• No. Video cameras have begun to invade privacy.

These days, parents are obsessed with monitoring everything about their kids, but taping their education is not the solution. The cameras would be a distraction, and eager parents would not be able to resist watching and interfering constantly. In general, cameras are already too pervasive in society. It has created a culture of big brother watching every last action, and this prevents people from acting normally because everyone feels they are being watched.

• Cameras are distracting.

Classrooms should not have cameras, due to the fact that if there are cameras in the classroom, most children are going to focus on the camera. Do you seriously think students are going to be focusing on the teacher when there's a big, shiny, black thing sticking out of the ceiling?

• Cameras are distracting.

Classrooms should not have cameras due to the fact that if there are cameras in the classroom, most children are going to focus on the camera. Do you seriously think students are going to be focusing on the teacher, when there's a big, shiny, black thing sticking out of the ceiling?

• I do not believe that classrooms should have cameras because they are distracting and costly.

I have three main contentions, which are.. it will cost to much for the little amounts of benefits it provides. It will distract the students and lower the quality of education. It will prove ineffective and will " INVADE PRIVACY". Cameras inside a classroom?? Alot of people say yes because some people could do bad things.

• The idea of cameras in classrooms is an absolutely sick one, it has nothing to do with pedagogy, but with prisons, terror, discomfort, guilt, etc

The idea of camera surveillance in classrooms is an absolutely sick one, it has got nothing to do with pedagogy, but with the penitentiary space, with prisons, terror, punishment, discomfort, etc. It induces a constant feeling of guilt, to students, as well as to teachers. If you are a real professional, as a teacher,or even if you are just a normal person, claiming a right to normality, especially in schools, you realize that camera surveillance in class is something coming from paranoid people who cannot lead the activity through normal behavior. I could never teach and dedicate myself to the teaching and learning process with a camera spy on me. School and pedagogy are not "tv broadcast", show, machine, or a space for others to constantly spy on people`s moves, reactions, etc. Pedagogy means emotional comfort, and it is about trying to understand each other and to grow together. Under such prison like conception and conditions, it is impossible to work. Teacher training and school inspections could never be realized through this sick intrusion. On the other hand, students in any environment cannot be treated as convicts. It is against the very idea of school at its very core. Cameras in class cannot protect people from violence, lunatics can always sort out other methods, angles, areas, etc if they wish to attack the people around them. On the corridors, nearby doors, etc, it is ok, but the classroom is a sacred and private space for wisdom and light, not a concentration camp or a robot space. It is like somebody would try to dictate every thought, word, move,,etc.
    I think that pedagogy and school`s goals are precisely to educate people through humane means,through professionalism and responsibility, not suspicion, and paranoid or negative behaviorist-watch-over and punishment methods. We need patience, responsibility, psychology, counseling, Christian counseling, etc. Nobody (principals, colleagues, etc), has the right to intervene in such a brutal way in the activity of teachers and students. The ideas of principles having those classrooms images and the classrooms activity on their screens in their offices, live, anytime, etc, is simply one that makes one think about insanity, judgmental attitude, blackmail and intimidation towards teachers and students,,,,and I cannot accept any other truth. "Hey move, move", fast, fast"(left, right...etc)-isn't this how these spy abusers "kick" students and teachers while studying in class? Mind control,intimidation, judgment,psychological torture coming from the most dirtiest political like (maybe) environment are keywords associated with the idea of cameras in class. Principles or other "colleagues" have no right to impose such things on us, teachers who know what teaching means.Anyone who does that is unprofessional, abusive and should go for teacher training in a high security prison if they like that so much!This world is far from being a free and sane one, and we do not need to pervert minds , nor to create zombies, but to educate souls and minds and to enhance creativity, competence and excellence!

• Video cameras are not okay in classrooms because they invade privacy.

A student could get harassed by someone that is viewing the video and students don't like having someone spying on them. Most of the parents don't want their children being spied on by someone they don't know personally. The teachers also can't play some learning games like fact or fiction that their students use to learn.

• Students have the right to a certain level of privacy.

Students should be able to choose whether or not their faces or their voices show up when they are being played back or listened to by anyone that has permission to look at them. The teachers should be able to choose if they want video cameras or not. The students would look at the video cameras while they are in certain classes

• Camera would cause disruption.

The reason students shouldn't have cameras in the classroom is because it would cause disruption. It would also be weird to be taking or recording random people in class without them knowing. Why have a camera in the classroom when it just creepy to be doing that to random people? We shouldn't have cameras in the classroom because it takes away from learning and education time and it causes chaos.

• Cameras shouldn't be allowed to be installed in classrooms because of attitude.

If cameras were installed in classrooms there would be a dramatic change in attitude. Students that might have been bullying before are usually the ones who don't care if they get in trouble. The victims of bullying would not have the chance to do anything about it. They would have to trust that the cameras would catch the bullying on film. Kids that were the culprits of bullying would probably do more of it than they did before because they would want to look tough on film. That's why I think that video cameras in classrooms would be a bad idea and should not be installed inside the classroom perimeter.

• Cameras shouldn't be allowed in classrooms.

It will cost too much for the little amounts of benefits it provides and for the students who are studying there, it just be like you're being spied on. Plus for all the student they won't be learning anything from the teacher they will just be looking at the camera for the whole class.