• Yes

I believe that in a culture where bullying and irresponsible teaching has become central, video cameras are not a bad idea. I do not believe this right would be executed unfairly and is simply a measure of safety for the students and a monitor of teachers to preform their job correctly.

• If used responsibly.

While I am against intrusive surveillance, I don't think that there is really any expectation of privacy within a school classroom. It would help to ensure that both the teachers and the students didn't do anything irresponsible, and, if it did happen, there would be video evidence. I would prefer if the video itself didn't extend past the principal of the school under normal circumstances, though. There's no reason the government needs to see it.

• They Would Help

Yes, classrooms should have video cameras. Having video cameras in the classroom would make both the teachers and older students monitor their behavior a little more. Kids would not be so quick to misbehave since their actions would be recorded and could be replayed for parents and authorities. Teachers might also improve their classroom skills since principals would probably scan videos to monitor performance. So even though classroom cameras could be termed an invasion of privacy by many, the benefits outweigh the invasion.

• Yes, cameras could be a huge help

Having cameras installed in each individual classroom can help stop bullying and violence in the classroom. There are cases of teacher abuse that could be easily detected before they get out of hand if only video surveillance is available. We have the technology to patrol all of our country's classrooms from locations throughout, we should take advantage of it.

Posted by: jus
  • Show What is Really going on

Teachers unions dont want the cameras in the classrooms due to mistrust? Well of course having the superintendent in the classroom the teacher will do his job. When your boss is standing over your shoulder, are you not going to do the best possible job? My childs education is important. He is not going to school to learn how to be lazy and do nothing. When I see some of the paperwork from my child's teacher, it says my son did this or did that. We switched school districts. In one day at the new district, same type of IEP program or special needs or whatever they call it, my son came home with more work in that one day than he did a whole month at his other school. For the whole next week he came home tired from learning with good reports from his teacher. We have since moved back into his old school district, and now the reports of kids doing this and kids doing that. What exactly are these teachers doing in class that allow these kids to behave badly? It is sad that at a school that challenges my kids education, all I get is good reports... but at a school where my kid sits in the same room with really really special needs kids and the only thing wrong with my kid is he is hyper, he gets reports that are really bad? I would like to see cameras in classrooms. How can one school challenge my kid so much and help him to learn so much that he comes home tired with good behavior reports and this school cant do a dang thing?

• Cameras should be In classrooms.

Cameras should be in classrooms because what I was always taught was that school is for learning. The teachers teach and kids learn. If there are cameras in classrooms, people would respect their classroom and even their teachers a bit more. There's nothing to hide, so why hide it with no cameras?

• In case of emergencies, cameras are useful.

I think maybe only one camera should be in the classroom in case someone steals something or someone is cheating on a test. Teachers will be able to catch them by looking at the camera. Anther reason is because there might be someone with a weapon, and the camera will catch the student with the weapon.

• Kids need safety.

Schools should have cameras because of the safety it would provide, not to mention a level of safeness the students and staff would have because of the cameras. The students will be able to pull less stuff. The level of bullying will definitely go down. Isn't that what the students deserve?

• Yes because cameras don't lie.

"A picture is worth a thousand words." Then a video record is worth a million! Being able to show parents how their child behaves in a classroom would be a "wake up" call for both redemptive and proactive action. A video record would be conclusive proof as to what actually happened in a classroom and would save time, money and heartache.

It would also, to put it bluntly, "blow the public's" mind and hopefully begin a meaningful dialogue.

• It would be beneficial, especially for children with special needs.

As a mother of a child with autism with low verbal communication skills, I feel that it would be extremely helpful to know what is going on in the classroom. My son has come home several times with scratches on him and no response from his teacher. When I try to contact her I do not get an answer. This is a grave burden on myself as a mother, and on any parents who have a child with disabilities because of the lack of verbal skills. I have already got an attorney and I am fighting to have cameras installed in my sons classroom as well as have him integrated in general education, along with other factors that would improve his learning abilities.

• The idea of cameras in classrooms is an absolutely sick one, it has nothing to do with pedagogy, but with prisons, terror, discomfort, guilt, etc

The idea of camera surveillance in classrooms is an absolutely sick one, it has got nothing to do with pedagogy, but with the penitentiary space, with prisons, terror, punishment, discomfort, etc. It induces a constant feeling of guilt, to students, as well as to teachers. If you are a real professional, as a teacher,or even if you are just a normal person, claiming a right to normality, especially in schools, you realize that camera surveillance in class is something coming from paranoid people who cannot lead the activity through normal behavior. I could never teach and dedicate myself to the teaching and learning process with a camera spy on me. School and pedagogy are not "tv broadcast", show, machine, or a space for others to constantly spy on people`s moves, reactions, etc. Pedagogy means emotional comfort, and it is about trying to understand each other and to grow together. Under such prison like conception and conditions, it is impossible to work. Teacher training and school inspections could never be realized through this sick intrusion. On the other hand, students in any environment cannot be treated as convicts. It is against the very idea of school at its very core. Cameras in class cannot protect people from violence, lunatics can always sort out other methods, angles, areas, etc if they wish to attack the people around them. On the corridors, nearby doors, etc, it is ok, but the classroom is a sacred and private space for wisdom and light, not a concentration camp or a robot space. It is like somebody would try to dictate every thought, word, move,,etc.
    I think that pedagogy and school`s goals are precisely to educate people through humane means,through professionalism and responsibility, not suspicion, and paranoid or negative behaviorist-watch-over and punishment methods. We need patience, responsibility, psychology, counseling, Christian counseling, etc. Nobody (principals, colleagues, etc), has the right to intervene in such a brutal way in the activity of teachers and students. The ideas of principles having those classrooms images and the classrooms activity on their screens in their offices, live, anytime, etc, is simply one that makes one think about insanity, judgmental attitude, blackmail and intimidation towards teachers and students,,,,and I cannot accept any other truth. "Hey move, move", fast, fast"(left, right...etc)-isn't this how these spy abusers "kick" students and teachers while studying in class? Mind control,intimidation, judgment,psychological torture coming from the most dirtiest political like (maybe) environment are keywords associated with the idea of cameras in class. Principles or other "colleagues" have no right to impose such things on us, teachers who know what teaching means.Anyone who does that is unprofessional, abusive and should go for teacher training in a high security prison if they like that so much!This world is far from being a free and sane one, and we do not need to pervert minds , nor to create zombies, but to educate souls and minds and to enhance creativity, competence and excellence!

• Cameras shouldn't be allowed in classrooms.

It will cost too much for the little amounts of benefits it provides and for the students who are studying there, it just be like you're being spied on. Plus for all the student they won't be learning anything from the teacher they will just be looking at the camera for the whole class.

• No. Video cameras have begun to invade privacy.

These days, parents are obsessed with monitoring everything about their kids, but taping their education is not the solution. The cameras would be a distraction, and eager parents would not be able to resist watching and interfering constantly. In general, cameras are already too pervasive in society. It has created a culture of big brother watching every last action, and this prevents people from acting normally because everyone feels they are being watched.

• I SAY NO!!!

Change in work pattern, more stress for students, the schools will have to put in more money to install and pay someone to review video taps when they could just solve the problem the same way they have for years. Why not use the money for something a little more useful.

• Violation of privacy

I think that security cameras in schools are a good idea. Having them in the entrances and the hallways are a way to cutback on school crime and protect the student population. However, I think that putting those cameras actually within the classroom violates the privacy of both the students and the teachers. Knowing that someone could be watching you at all times may bring security, but it's also able to distract students and teachers and could be harmful to learning. Also, in schools where teaching "by the book" is required, some of the best learning occurs in the 'teachable moments' where an opportunity for teaching something not in the curriculum comes up. These are quite often more interesting to the students than the regular lessons and lectures, and can make class enjoyable. If these cameras in classrooms are abused--as there is a high possibility of them being--a teacher might get 'caught' deviating from the syllabus and it could take away valuable learning opportunities.

• No Cameras at School

Should schools use cameras in the classrooms? Using cameras in the classroom may be safer, however cameras are just an extra pair of eyes. There is already a teacher supervising the classroom, so when you have a camera in the classroom, you might feel like you have everyone watching you. In some ways you are getting watched by many people by the camera in the classroom.

• Why? For what purpose?

I didn´t do it, nobody saw me do it, you can´t prove anything. Where would our society be if we could prove all wrongdoing? We need more spaces where people can learn to act poorly without consequences. How else can we create the quality leaders we have in our political system today?

• No Cameras At School!!!!!

Of course, to install cameras in areas of privacy such as bathrooms and changing rooms is intrusive and the very vast majority would naturally object. However, one could argue that these become safe havens for those who wish to commit crime, such as theft or drug dealing, knowing full well that cameras were not there to catch out suspects." I do not agree with this. I think there should be cameras in the hallway only.
    By: Ava L

• No cameras at school!!!!!

I think that cameras should not be allowed at school because it puts a lot of pressure and stress on the kids and teachers. Also, many people act differently and not like themselves when around a camera. It would also be a distraction to kids and it would make for a weird school day.
    By: Ava L

• I do not like people watching me!

It is like someone is always is always looking at you, and you will feel nervous too, people looking can always make fun of you! They will feel guilty and you will feel weird too. Students can always get really messed up and they will kept on talking about it like the biggest thing!