• Teacher Feedback from Texas

Yes! Yes, please do this. This would be the quickest way to fix our education system at very little cost. Give parents a code to do real time virtual visits to the classroom. Observe teachers not just for accountability, but for training purposes. Get rid of behavior management problems on the spot! Are you aware of the thousands of dollars that are spent every day in U.S. Schools just dealing with classroom management? Schools should have glass walls and this is the easiest way to have them.

• This would prevent abuse both from teachers and from students

A camera in the classroom should be able to put everyone on their best behavior. It would be a deterrent against abusive behaviors. Also, this could be used to show parents their child might engage in, in the classroom. As a teacher, I would love to have a camera in the classroom as I strive to behave professionally towards students. Sometimes, I encounter aggressive and inappropriate behavior. Talking to a parent of an abusive student would benefit from a short video of the incident.

• Protect both student and teacher

Missunderstandings happen all the time. If the classroom was monitored then proof of events would reduce the amount of time investigating wrongful claims. Teachers can feel secure in their work knowing that just because they are the only adult in the room most of the time, will have video footage.

• They'd tell us what is happening

Especially if you have been a student in a -particularly- rowdy class, I do believe having constant watch over students, their possessions, and their actions will lead to a safer and better learning environment for all students, and make teaching for the teacher easier since keeping students within reasonable control is not one of the things he/she has to worry about. For example, if some student throws an object at someone else, the teacher might have been writing on the board, completely oblivious to who had done so, and have no idea as to who did it. With a camera and access to recorded footage, the teacher can easily identify and discipline the one (or more) students who had thrown the object.

• Cameras will protect student and teachers

Video cameras need to be in the classroom in order to protect the safety of both students and teachers. In today's society we have video cameras in lots of public spaces such as libraries, school buses, parks, beaches, public streets, etc. A public school is a public place just like any other public place so people are not entitled to privacy rights.
    1. A video recording could be the one thing that saves a teacher's job when there are false accusations.
    2. Video recording could protect a student who wants protection from a teacher who is abusing them.
    3. A video recording could ensure students are being protected from wrongdoing by other students.
    For people who are worried about the security of it, the camera data and controls could be kept in the Principal's office. For people complaining about privacy rights and "big brother"; In public property the right to privacy does not exist. If you don't like it you can either home-school or pay to go to a private school. Oh by the way, the only eye witness of the Boston Marathon Bombers? A video camera.

• YES! Cameras should be installed in classrooms and parents should have remote access to view their child's class.

I really shouldn't have to argue the advantages of surveillance cameras... We use them everywhere. We use them to protect our homes, our banks, even our grocery stores... But not our children? As a substitute, I've worked in a lot of different schools and I can't count the times I've seen TEACHERS yell at students, bully students, and leave the classroom unattended. And OH the things that happen when the teacher turns her back! The bottom line is that we all behave better when we think someone is watching. Students who fear their parent may be peeking in will be inclined to behave better. Teachers will have to be mindful of the tempers. And yes... These days we need to concern ourselves with things like school shootings and knife fights between students... With recording capabilities, there would finally be an ACCURATE account. In my opinion, people who don't want cameras, usually have something to hide. If your teacher or your school is opposed, you need to be finding out why!

• Yes, Security cameras are needed in classrooms.

With an increase in crime, surveillance in more places is simply a necessity. Kids will realize early in life that there are consequences for actions. I am a student myself and I've been talking about this lately. Most of my peers say that they don't even notice them. Sixty one percent of people think that they should be in public places, and school is a public place. In fact, in one high school, after installing fifty seven security cameras around the school, they reported a seventy percent decrease in crime. This is significant evidence that they do work and that they should be allowed in schools.

• Very good point

Well we'll well I like this a lot it is good very good the schools need to protect the children. Cameras catch everything from different angles. I think cameras in school is the best way to go. It also is proof of who did what and how it happened. It will help the world if everyone got security cameras. I would be happy.

• Substitute teachers enter the land of The Lord of the Flies.

Students know that substitutes can't identify them. I learned to make seating charts as I took roll, but there are many reasons for students to leave their seats, and it can be very difficult to assure the return of a student to the original location. Once that begins, disruptive acting-out can escalate. I substituted in classrooms where students injured themselves or others, and it was difficult to identify uncooperative students, after the fact, without a picture. I'm afraid to substitute now, because I feel unable to assure student safety, not to mention my own, in such situations. Video monitoring could reduce that danger.

Posted by: MrE
  • This can prevent bullying, stealing, etc.

To catch people who bully others, vandalize, steal, litter, eat in class, drink in class, teachers who abuse, etc. Furthermore, if someone was framed, this can be used as evidence. Moreover, the person doing the above could be punished depending on what he/she did. Finally, it can be used to prevent people from using phones in class during lessons or at other times when you are not supposed to use them. This won't be distracting as there are many video cameras in many countries and nobody notices them. Not only that, those that said that this can be used to spy on others are idiots as this footage can only be viewed by the staff. This won't distract them as many people people have been in places with cameras and nobody seems distracted or paranoid. If you have nothing to hide then embrace the cameras and security.

• Because pls because

Because
    hackers can get into everything and hack it so we wouldnt have any cameras pls dont have cameras then it invades your privacy and hakcers can get in and hack it then life would always not be privite so this is why i say no and pls and thank you

• Noooooooo way! !!!!!!!!!!!

Students already have enough stress doing work or while writing a test, but with a security camera, THAT"S A WHOLE NEW LEVEL OF STRESS! Student's will be so pressured to do right, they will end up doing wrong! Plus, they need their privacy incase they are doing something when they are the only ones in the class. They would overall be extremely paranoid that someone is watching them

• No focus for students

Students will only be focusing on wether they are being watched than listening to the teacher that is in front teaching an important lesson. There will probably be even more fighting because students will be uptight and tense. So no, i don't want to be watched by the government in school

• No way hosay

This is a violation of human rights against children. The fact that this is even an opinion is shocking. Children and humans not cattle or inmates in prison. They are there to learn not to be observed. Some of these suggestions towards security cameras is shocking SHOCKING I TELL YOU. Ridiculous

• Kidnappers and hackers.

Their kidnappers and hackers around the world that can follow you home or to school.And it is dangerous to go alone to and the hackers can hack the cameras to steel someone or some thing so no cameras at school just to stay safe and stay as in a group.

• This will disrupt the learning environment

Classrooms shouldn't have security cameras. Being watched already makes people act odd AND THATS THE LAST THING WE NEED FROM STUDENTS. It would also be a huge distraction and change learning patterns. IT is a waste of money and may ruin kids who cherish their privacy from their education. Cool.

• Yah ba dah ba dooo

Report Post

• Noooooooo more cameras!!!!

We already have a parent getting in a business, school where we can get a break from them spying on what we do! Us kids want to live are life without haveing to look over a shoulder with someone there to spy on us and seeing what we are doing.

• It Is Ridiculous

Why have cameras when you got tons in the hallways.Cameras not only benefits kids but teachers too , All cameras do is distract kids from everything. KIds not even bad in classrooms, they act there worst in hallways. So ask yourself , is buying more cameras to go in classrooms that necessary ?

• No, Just No.

It is really scary to think that there are actually people that support this. Its like the people that support Donald Trump. It is morally wrong to invade the privacy of kids as young as 5 years old. Plus, most schools actually don't have bullying and theft problems, and punishing all of them like this is unfair. Think about if a student is having a hard time with something, and a video is recorded of it. These things, no matter how hard we try to get rid of them, stay around forever. Imagine that same video coming up when the kid is trying to get a job. You might say that no - one will see it but the people reviewing the tapes, but one click and its uploaded to the web. Also, the tapes from the cameras will just take up disk space, slow wi-fi, and not do anything. Paying for the cameras are also a big deal. Most schools would rather get new books and desks than pay for their students to be stalked, and frankly, I agree.