• Teacher Feedback from Texas

Yes! Yes, please do this. This would be the quickest way to fix our education system at very little cost. Give parents a code to do real time virtual visits to the classroom. Observe teachers not just for accountability, but for training purposes. Get rid of behavior management problems on the spot! Are you aware of the thousands of dollars that are spent every day in U.S. Schools just dealing with classroom management? Schools should have glass walls and this is the easiest way to have them.

• This would prevent abuse both from teachers and from students

A camera in the classroom should be able to put everyone on their best behavior. It would be a deterrent against abusive behaviors. Also, this could be used to show parents their child might engage in, in the classroom. As a teacher, I would love to have a camera in the classroom as I strive to behave professionally towards students. Sometimes, I encounter aggressive and inappropriate behavior. Talking to a parent of an abusive student would benefit from a short video of the incident.

• Protect both student and teacher

Missunderstandings happen all the time. If the classroom was monitored then proof of events would reduce the amount of time investigating wrongful claims. Teachers can feel secure in their work knowing that just because they are the only adult in the room most of the time, will have video footage.

• They'd tell us what is happening

Especially if you have been a student in a -particularly- rowdy class, I do believe having constant watch over students, their possessions, and their actions will lead to a safer and better learning environment for all students, and make teaching for the teacher easier since keeping students within reasonable control is not one of the things he/she has to worry about. For example, if some student throws an object at someone else, the teacher might have been writing on the board, completely oblivious to who had done so, and have no idea as to who did it. With a camera and access to recorded footage, the teacher can easily identify and discipline the one (or more) students who had thrown the object.

• Cameras will protect student and teachers

Video cameras need to be in the classroom in order to protect the safety of both students and teachers. In today's society we have video cameras in lots of public spaces such as libraries, school buses, parks, beaches, public streets, etc. A public school is a public place just like any other public place so people are not entitled to privacy rights.
    1. A video recording could be the one thing that saves a teacher's job when there are false accusations.
    2. Video recording could protect a student who wants protection from a teacher who is abusing them.
    3. A video recording could ensure students are being protected from wrongdoing by other students.
    For people who are worried about the security of it, the camera data and controls could be kept in the Principal's office. For people complaining about privacy rights and "big brother"; In public property the right to privacy does not exist. If you don't like it you can either home-school or pay to go to a private school. Oh by the way, the only eye witness of the Boston Marathon Bombers? A video camera.

• YES! Cameras should be installed in classrooms and parents should have remote access to view their child's class.

I really shouldn't have to argue the advantages of surveillance cameras... We use them everywhere. We use them to protect our homes, our banks, even our grocery stores... But not our children? As a substitute, I've worked in a lot of different schools and I can't count the times I've seen TEACHERS yell at students, bully students, and leave the classroom unattended. And OH the things that happen when the teacher turns her back! The bottom line is that we all behave better when we think someone is watching. Students who fear their parent may be peeking in will be inclined to behave better. Teachers will have to be mindful of the tempers. And yes... These days we need to concern ourselves with things like school shootings and knife fights between students... With recording capabilities, there would finally be an ACCURATE account. In my opinion, people who don't want cameras, usually have something to hide. If your teacher or your school is opposed, you need to be finding out why!

• Yes, Security cameras are needed in classrooms.

With an increase in crime, surveillance in more places is simply a necessity. Kids will realize early in life that there are consequences for actions. I am a student myself and I've been talking about this lately. Most of my peers say that they don't even notice them. Sixty one percent of people think that they should be in public places, and school is a public place. In fact, in one high school, after installing fifty seven security cameras around the school, they reported a seventy percent decrease in crime. This is significant evidence that they do work and that they should be allowed in schools.

• Very good point

Well we'll well I like this a lot it is good very good the schools need to protect the children. Cameras catch everything from different angles. I think cameras in school is the best way to go. It also is proof of who did what and how it happened. It will help the world if everyone got security cameras. I would be happy.

• Substitute teachers enter the land of The Lord of the Flies.

Students know that substitutes can't identify them. I learned to make seating charts as I took roll, but there are many reasons for students to leave their seats, and it can be very difficult to assure the return of a student to the original location. Once that begins, disruptive acting-out can escalate. I substituted in classrooms where students injured themselves or others, and it was difficult to identify uncooperative students, after the fact, without a picture. I'm afraid to substitute now, because I feel unable to assure student safety, not to mention my own, in such situations. Video monitoring could reduce that danger.

Posted by: MrE
  • This can prevent bullying, stealing, etc.

To catch people who bully others, vandalize, steal, litter, eat in class, drink in class, teachers who abuse, etc. Furthermore, if someone was framed, this can be used as evidence. Moreover, the person doing the above could be punished depending on what he/she did. Finally, it can be used to prevent people from using phones in class during lessons or at other times when you are not supposed to use them. This won't be distracting as there are many video cameras in many countries and nobody notices them. Not only that, those that said that this can be used to spy on others are idiots as this footage can only be viewed by the staff. This won't distract them as many people people have been in places with cameras and nobody seems distracted or paranoid. If you have nothing to hide then embrace the cameras and security.

• We are not in a prison

No can act normally realizing that he is observed all the time.Spying cameras are not fair for teachers and students.They would make them feel nervous all the time. No one enjoys being looked at while sleeping or in the bathroom.What's going on in the classroom between teachers and students should be normal interaction for learning.With Cameras on all the time means self torturing for both students and teachers

• Why Would There Be A Teacher Then

If there is a teacher then why would there be a teacher in the class room if they can't watch there own students. Yeah she can teach, but now they can teach online so there is no point except for them to watch there kids. So what i'm saying is that if a teacher can't even watch there kids then they don't even need to be teachers anymore.

• I’m on the opposing side of cameras.

Should schools really have cameras?I’m on the opposing side of cameras.
    Cameras are something that is watching you 5 times a week when you are at school.Another thing is cameras are meant to guard prisons and military bases do we need that much security or discipline watching us I think not.Something else is what if the cameras mess up and they have to pay to fix them.Would that mess up the budget or what if the cameras keep messing up multiple times.
    All I’m saying is that cameras are bad and they invade a lot of the students privacy and it may be uncomfortable for them with the thought of something always watching them while they are at school.

• We should not have any cameras

Cameras make students feel uncomfortable and feel constantly that people are watching them. If someone were to break into a school for blooding students would be hiding correct? Well he/ she would be able to see the students and know that they are in the school. Though it's not a very good reason doesn't mean it can't happen to you.

• It invades privacy of students

It gives kids suspicious thoughts and they don't have as much privacy as they did when there weren't camera's in school.People should be trusted to not have cameras in school watching them 5 days a week.It also could make them not want to go to that school any more because of the cameras.

• I Am 100% Against this

I just left a class in a business building at the university I attend, sitting in a class that was being monitored by the camera and microphone. Even though it is pointed pretty much at the teacher, this makes me feel extremely uncomfortable and a lot more like a robot enslaved by a fucked up system. The idea of cameras in a classroom is just disgusting and it makes me upset to see it happening at my campus.

• Its just creepy

Its just creepy some man or women paid to watch you every single hour of the day not only is it creepy its extremely uncomfortable no one usually enjoys being watched its super super weird its kinda like your being stocked or some thing no one should have to worry about.

• I say no

If there were to be any terrorist attack or shooting they could check the cameras and find the students. Plus would Ben very costy. And they could easily be hacked and cause distractions in class. It can perform many benefits but can still cause many problems. Schools shouldn't have cameras

• Privacy,and costs of schools

Every year there are more and more problems with camas in classrooms they invade private matters and cost a lot of money many kids can give priviate information in classrooms and it can be hacked and seen by bad people however it might help having cameras in some classes therefore yes and no......

• Not Needed If Teachers Are Present

When teachers are in the classroom, then the students will be watched by that trained and trusted teacher (I understand that in some cases the teacher may need to be watched, but we aren't referring to that. We are talking about trained and trusted teachers). If anything goes wrong then the teacher can call to ask for help, or send the student to the office.