Should fights be punished in school if it's self-defense?

Asked by: Elle_8
  • Everyone Involved Should Be Punished

It's only self defense if you are actually defending yourself, not if you are going on the offensive. Even then, everyone involved needs to be punished. Otherwise, every kid that gets in a fight will claim it was "self-defense" in order to avoid punishment. Teachers and administrators have better things to do with their time than to try to determine who is telling the truth when everyone in a fight claims "self-defense".

• Yes, fights should be punished in schools even if its self-defense

Kids don't need to get into a fight regardless of who throws the first punch. It takes two to tango. Kids should be taught to walk away from the fight not to fight back. Teaching kids to fight back usually makes the kid more aggressive and prone to starting fights.

• It's not needed

If someone is physically able to punch back they are also able to walk away. If they choose to punch back instead of walk away it is not self defense. Punching back just escalates the situation and makes it worse. It does not help and should be punished as fighting.

• Yes... Schools should allow self-defense.

When I was in middle school I was constantly bullied by this one kid. After multiple episodes of him throwing stuff in my face, I finally fought back. And he never harassed me again. Self-defense teaches kids self empowerment, and prevents physical confrontation in the long run. Just make sure you know how to defend yourself before getting into a fight.

• Self defense is fighting back!

I was bullied all through elementary and junior high. Called a chink, spit on, shoved, and jumped by more than one attacker. I started training at a boxing gym and eventually started picking off one bully at a time. By the time I was a senior in high school, no one dared to f*** with me. Don't tell kids not to fight back.

• The actual meaning if self defense-The defense of one's person or interests, especially through the use of physical force.

Most people who are suspended for "self defense" think of self defense of fighting back, and although that is a kind of self defense, people should be using the blocking punches or hits kind of self defense! There are also plenty of ways to avoid the fight but its up to you do actually avoid it and not get involved because getting involved is what is getting you suspended!

• Hello i need help please and 50 more words

0keikekioe;ijlefriurfgrigrugrftuijrftdgrdfgvmfd nbmrefdn mrfedurfgdsrfdg rfedgvmrfdesgmrfedgv fvf ff f f ff f fd ff fd d fd fd fff f ff f f f f ff f f f f f f f f f f f f f df f f f f d d d d d d d d d

• Hugjtrbe t5ighuri35 gigeg4y u5ogh3ot ngghu35 goher9goe trbog guye

Rge te4geig gergher9 gege gerru9 gehg egnhn gheu9he gerge rg ergn eruigergerg erig9erg eg gegh erugeu9gher geugerogeuigoi erggeig igjeh gu egegerkgkege geighergeg gerge gek gergherg eg egrjhgeruo gerkguerig eg ergieuwrger g g gerhilgherig eg ge yhgkgeuhg guoegh eghe gegjgergneg gueirger gerguiqegheggjgn ghe9gehtgeibger hgierkygue4gngerw guiergye ge gheruiwgyoug erh geruoh reghighgughuerig geruigheh eguirge nguierguserjhge

• I was bullied, mercilessly when I was a kid.

Almost every day for about 6-7 years, by the same kid. He'd follow me home, beat me up. He'd see me in public, punch me in the face. He saw me at the rink and would attack me on the ice.

One day however, it came to a head. This kid had his friends chase me around the school building and "capture" me, dragged me back to my bully in front of the entire student body for a beating. The first thing he did was slap me, then he shoved me almost enough to fall down.

I had a fist balled up inside my coat, I took it out and punched him square in the face - he threw one back, I blocked and kept punching him until he was bleeding and his friends had to pull me off.

He was a known problem to the school and before this, they had done nothing. NOTHING.

Did I deserve the suspension? Absolutely not. By today's standards, the school would be liable for a lawsuit - perhaps that should be the retaliation to unjust punishments for self defense.

• No! No! No!

Imagine this: you are walking down the street minding your own business. All of a sudden, somebody comes over and hits you in the face and starts kicking you. After a while, you can't take it anymore and you hit them back. Should you be arrested for it? I mean, you were just trying to get them to stop beating you, so you hit them back. Now imagine this with kids in schools. Kids can be very brutal, and if a kid is getting beat up, then he has every right to hit them back!

• What other realistic option is there?

1. Before I got out of school, the most common thing I heard the staff say was "just walk away". Obviously they didn't take two seconds to think about this because it's simply not an option. If someone wants to hit you they aren't going to stop just because you start walking the other way. They'll just shove you against a wall and keep hitting you.

2.Other kids usually don't help either. One day I walked by two kids fighting in the hall (granted this was a fight not bullying) and all of the other students just formed a ring and watched. I'm willing to bet the same thing would happen in the case of bullying.

3. "Go and tell a teacher" also wouldn't work. My first argument also applies here. Besides that, unless you're right next to a room that a teacher is in, you're going to have to find one first. Bullies are actually smart enough not to bully right in front of a teacher, so you would have to turn around, run to the nearest room, and hope the teacher isn't out making some copies.

4. Doing anything other than defending yourself would just encourage the bully. If you tell a teacher, you make him mad. If a friend helps you out, they'll come back when your friend isn't around. If you run away, your a wuss and he picks on you for that.

My point is, defending yourself is the only way it's going to stop, so why should you be punished for solving the problem that the school won't or can't do anything about?

• It is the right of an adult person to defend themselves when attacked.

We even have "stand your ground" laws (which may be a little extreme at times). Why does a student lose the constitutional right to defend themself? If you don't ever stop the bullying, it will continue -- sometimes until it causes the victim to commit suicide, as has often happened.

Posted by: cs2
  • Bullying NEEDS to stop.

I will put a disclaimer that as a U.S. Marine i may have a biased opinion on fighting in general. With that being said, in the context of the question I whole heatedly believe if you are defending your preservation of life or well being then you most absolutely have the right to fight back to stop the aggressor. That is where it ends though if you can successfully defend yourself and get away from situation and not go on the offensive then you should. For kids picking on each other the way they do today with cyber attacks and knock out games. If you can honestly say you would get attacked and just curl up into a ball and let your butt get beat then you should reflect of your life worth and find something to live for. Everyone's body is their own temple and the second you invade my space with extreme hostility i am going to send you to the nurse with a broken nose. That is not a threat but simply a promise. I do not Tolerate Bullying and if I witness it i would defiantly step in and help the victim.

• Absolutely, Positively, Not.

If somebody punches you or tries to start a fight are u going to just stand around and let them. No. If somebody swung at you then you'd try to stop it. It's called reflexes. The rule in my family is if somebody starts it then you defend yourself and if they continue then you finish it. You shouldn't just stand around and let them beat you up because you don't want to get in trouble! Yes you can try going to a teacher but what if one isn't close enough before they try to get to you again? Run? Maybe. And if they catch you? Then What? Should the schools really suspend you for fighting back if it's the only option at the moment?

• Most definitely no.

Here is a situation, where I again fail to see old wisdom. In this case, it's the age old idea that it doesn't matter who started it. Obviously it does matter, since if nobody ever started it, the confrontation wouldn't exist.

What's worse, is that this way of thinking has evolved into the idea that the victim MUST have instigated the fight, else why would they fight? This way of thinking is far worse, because it means that the victim, even if they didn't fight back whatsoever, and just took the beating, still gets punished.

• No kids should not get in trouble for defending thereself

I was bullied for so long and still am I got in trouble for defending myself from a beating and I still got in trouble the law says anyone can use self defense and school making you get in trouble for doing that is giving up your rights and letting someone get hurt

• Schools take your right for self-defense.

Why should you be the one getting into trouble when or you're doing is defending yourself. It's ridiculous. You can't let them beat you up like that. You have to stand up, Be tough, Fight back if you need to. Getting into trouble for this is just dumb. Screw those schools who punish people for defending themselves. It's necessary.

• Should children be afraid to go to school?

No, Children should not be suspended for using self defence.
    Self defence is using reasonable force to prevent yourself from harm, NOT deadly force unless the attacker is trying to kill you, Rape you, Abduct you, Steal from you and other very serious crimes. You should not, However, Use self defence all the time. Children should be taught this in schools and that if they cannot walk away and say “I will not fight you, Leave me alone” or anything similar to that, They are able to hit the attacker if there is nothing else they can do and if they feel that they are at risk of harm.
    If children do get suspended for using self defence IN THE CORRECT WAY their parents should consider moving schools if their child cannot protect themselves. It is also damaging to their education if they get a 3 week suspension for something that they have the right to do. Putting a child in danger like this is abuse and I personally think that it should be a police matter if schools let this happen.

GWL-CPA says2013-12-24T04:00:21.113
The kid who started the fight should be processed by the police and thrown in jail.
Vajrasattva-LeRoy says2014-09-09T16:23:19.097
More Crazy, Stupid, Lying, Wasteful, Garbage.
There 's no such thing as fighting in self- defense.
It takes two to fight.