Should firearms be legalized in the UK for self-defense?

Asked by: JackGibb
  • 100% legalise for self defence

Criminals will get hold of them legal or not, The police don’t protect us so why can’t we protect ourselves, They should be legalised and everyone who wants to own one has to go through screening and training, Either that or we can just stand by and watch like we do now and then report the crime to the police wait for weeks on end for them to get back to you because they are tooooo busy parked up at the side of the road trying to catch some one doing 35mph in a 30mph zone so they can fine you to meet there targets, Just for them to say there will be no further action taken. . . . This country has become a joke you can’t even carry a non lethal weapon like a baton. . . Maybe just maybe someone would think twice about doing these things knowing that they will be confronted with something more powerful then they are

• We should have guns

Yes because we could use them for self defence example you could moe them down with a mini gun or expled them with a rocket luncher if we hadthem we would not die but the bad thinng about them are it would be easy to shoplift and to shoot people

• Legalise it please

Before they ban them everything was fine. . . All they did was make it so that criminals were the only ones who had guns and not the average joe to protect his family, Criminals don't care if there breaking the law its way too easy to buy firearms (not just pistols) illegaly from the black market ect. . .

• Yes they should

My argument that guns should be legalised are based on the following very good points. First, just because a gun is illegal doesn’t stop criminals getting hold of one! All this achieves is the bad guys having guns and law abiding citizens don’t; this puts criminals at a huge advantage over everyone else and the rest of us can’t defend ourselves!
    My second point is if it is common knowledge that guns are legal, it makes criminals ask themselves does the potential victim have a gun? If there was even a slight chance that someone owns a gun, would you take the risk and commit the offence against them? If I was in that situation I would certainly think twice before, for example, breaking into someone’s house!
    I feel that crime would significantly reduce if everyone could have a gun. Behind the counter in a shop, in someone’s house or car? In a lady’s handbag? No one in their right mind would dare to try anything to harm them. A good way to prevent the rise of gun crime would be to have serial numbers registered on a national database, also all ammunition should have a batch number and registered to the gun and buyer when purchased, or even putting microchips in all guns sold in the U.K. similar to ones found in dogs

• Scumbags and Government

One could easily argue that the Government ARE scumbags but in this case I am referring to criminals as scumbags. One could also argue that the Government are criminals too.....

As it stands the public is defenseless against criminals and the government. Either can attack us with weapons knowing full well we will be unarmed and have no means to defend ourselves. This gives all the power to the worst kind of people.

• The police can't protect anyone.

Last night I was laying awake in my bed. I could hear a small group of gypsies move in next door. Gypsies have a reputation of being thieves and builles. I thought to myself, why should I be scared in my own home. I work for a living I pay way too much taxes. I am a good man and I feel my government and police force can not protect me. I served this country in 2006 in Iraq. I feel 9mm or 5.56mm calibre fire-arms should be available to the public for HOME protection after back ground checks and screening. Training and courses should also be provided.

• Yes. It's a no brainer.

We're not even allowed pepper spray? Khan wants to ban knives now. How do we defend ourselves at all? We are not allowed any weapons to defend ourselves, there was a robbery near my house recently at around 4am- how do I defend myself from such a situation. That's a rarity, but if I lived in a more dangerous area I would be even more worried. We need guns. We need to be able to defend our families! The murder rate in london is worse than new york, it's a mental health issue (encouraged by warped ideologies, mental health doesn't equal rights being taken away.) Our country is going to hell, we need the God given right to self preservation. Evil already has guns and weapons, they do not care about law, we need ways to defend our families and ourselves.

• I was never asked

I am 25 years old and I believe the individual has the right to defend himself, to me this seems logical but this right was stripped from me before I was even born by old men in their fenced off mansions and their private security. I think its about time we got our rights back. I love this country but it breaks my heart and infuriates me to see complacent individuals palm off their freedoms in favor of a authoritarian nanny state.

• No illegal dealing

Criminals will not make as much money for drugs and more illegal activities if more guns are sold legally to buyers and women won't have to worry about being mugged and raped. And current gun owners will be able to have legally purchased handguns for there collections for the first time since 1996

• Lead by example

Our government bans legal firearms from registered owners, illegal firearms related crime rate soar and our governments response is to arm the police with firearms and put british troops on the streets. The government are more than happy to admit firearms are making british streets safer as long as nobody brings up civillian ownership.

Their are countries in main land Europe that allow civillian ownership of military grade assault rifles and hand guns and they have almost a zero percent gun crime rate. Instead of comparing us to America try Switzerland or Finland. The day people stop blaming the object and start to blame the person will be an amazing day.
    700,000 legal gun ownera and still more people are killed by knives and cars. Lets get the ball rolling on banning them ;)

• Don't vote for guns

I state no because 32, 00 a year die from guns in the united states a year and 10, 00 kids a year are badly injurded or killed a year from firearm imagion if you come back from work and you heard that youe son/daughter was killed in school because a child had access to a gun and brought it in to school to shoot your child you would be absulutly devistated just put your self in that position. If you were for guns hopefully i changed your mind.

• Don't vote for guns

• Loop holes in laws

It is so difficult to create a water-proof law, Without any loopholes at all. Knowing the society that we currently live in, I am aware of the number of people who will find a way around a gun law, No matter how good it seems to be. Before long, Great Britain will become the next United States of America

• People need to consider the legal ramifications

Self-Defence in the UK is a grey area. If you hurt someone you'll taken to court. The court would charge you with assault. If someone died you would be charged with murder.
    You will then appeal and state "I was defending myself". The court would then expect you to back up your situation. You would have to prove "beyond reasonable doubt" that you could not possibly defuse the situation or run away. If you cannot, your appeal will be denied.
    You might not be able to justify that you had no choice.
    Britain would be a lot worse if more guns are brought in. Guns'll end up in the wrong hands. We'll have public mass-shootings and gang crime. Do you really trust a "good guy with a gun"?
    A gun won't prevent a bomb or a truck, but allow more terrorist attacks. If you get into a shootout with a "bad guy" the police will shoot both of you.

Will this mean all our police will need handguns like America too? Compare how the British police deal with threats next to the US police. We defuse situations, while they shoot first and ask later. Many US cops have gotten away with murder because of their legal powers. Do you want that from our cops too?

Guns will solve few problems. They would create more problems: children finding them around the house and accidentally killing themselves and siblings / friends, public shootings, police shootings, more guns falling into the black market and into criminals' hands and onto the streets, more deadly terrorist attacks, everybody being fearful of leaving their own house without one when they go to the shop for milk, more robberies, more muggings, more murders and a more dangerous country.

One more thing... If somebody is mugging you with a gun, and yours is in it's holster, how will you use it to protect yourself? Will you really be able to draw it, aim it and fire it before they shoot?

Although I can understand and somewhat agree with the arguments made for legalizing guns. I think the risks are far more serious and need very VERY careful consideration. We will need to change our: legal system to be fairer to self defence. We need to enforce regular checks on gun owners' handling and secure storage of their weapons. We will need to enforce a culture of guns being a responsibility, not a right. Hard punishments on careless gun owners who don't keep them secure or don't report losing them. They must be registered on a database to their owners to better regulate their PROPER use and not carelessness. If a gun is lost and not reported and is later used in a crime, the original owner who failed to report it should be charged with neglect. All applications must undertake mental heath checks, criminal background checks (including their family members, for good measure).
    Do you really want all of that to happen because of paranoia?

• NOOOoooooo! NOT GOOD!!

Don't just do it.......Think how fucked up the country will become if guns became leghalized.... Legalizing guns in the UK is a terrible mistake as it would mean that gun crime rates would increase terrifically and if everyone had a gun or an access to a gun more easily then it would make criminals lives much more easy because now they have a very useful weapon that they could use to kill and they are allowed to carry this weapon

• NOOOoooooo! NOT GOOD!!

• No. No. No.

No,they shouldn't. America gets loads and loads of school shootings everywhere due to these guns, do you all really want loads of our countrys childrens dying innocently due to these deadly weapons. Only police should have guns. Also, not even just the school shootings. This country shouldn't be in the middle of sorting out horrific, tragic event.

• Innocent individuals lives would be at risk

Just think of how many innocent peoples lives would be gone because of criminals getting hold of these guns and then using them for their own satisfaction that's not right guns shouldn't be legalised because it puts young teenagers, adults, older people and children at risk of being killed by a criminal

• Are You Serious?

I understand that some people may not feel safe in their homes without access to a weapon in case of a robbery or murder; these criminal events are very unlikely to actually happen to you.

If we allow guns to be available for self-defense, than criminals will buy them saying it's for self-defense and will use it for crimes. Do you really want to be giving criminals weapons?

It will also mean that all police officers here in the UK will have to carry guns on the off chance that the suspect is armed with a gun. This means that the cost of training a police officer will rise and the cost of their equipment will go up as bullet proof vests will become necessary.

If this isn't enough for you, than take a look at the crime rate in America! Also, their police are all armed with guns, and they killed more civilians in 1 month than British police did in 10 years!

Now this is definitely more than enough to prove that the UK would be better off without guns becoming available to the common man.

• No to guns

Imajine wandering around a street and thinking anyone of them could have a gun. I would hate to live in a conutry wher anybody could have a gun because it would be scary noing that a person that hates you could be out there trying to kill you. Do you want that? So say no to guns and say no to the gunlaw

>