Should High School Students Be Allowed To Choose Their Own Academics?

Asked by: jonathan1q2w3e4r
  • This is an excellent opportunity.

High school students being able to choose their own academics is a privilege that is imperative to withhold. If they can't build their own schedule that can satisfy their perspective, then what is the point of choice anymore? Staff and faculty shouldn't have any right to oppress a pupil's just privilege, as it detriments their ability of crude independence. Suffice, there should be no contradictions regarding a child's flexibility of choice when deciding upon any non-STEM class. Period.

• Short answer is YES. The long answer is below....

This idea is overall positive and would be good. However, the whole education system truly needs to be uprooted for this to really work. I see all these kids that lose interest in school at a young age, because they are not being challenged. It might hurt some people's feelings, but we need to rank students by abilities and less emphasis on age. I believe the school system could cut out a lot of useless things in order to have many kids progress faster. The last two years of high school should be about learning or starting to learn about a career. Many things in academics are useless.

• Whats the point?

Taking classes like chemistry or Calculus, which are very field specific is just a waste of time. There should be a baseline requirement, the basic classes everyone takes in their 1st and maybe the 2nd year, but if a student doesn't know what field they want to go into by their last 2 years, Having them take classes out of every field isn't going to miraculously spark their interest in one. However, if a student does know what field they plan to enter, taking classes from every other field will only hinder them. Haven't you been listening to any adult in your life?, "Half the stuff in school, I don't even use in my everyday life!". It's true, what use is physics, to an English teacher? What use is AP world history to an accountant?

• It is unfair to require students to meet standards that wastes the time of many students

I am willing to give ground and say that during freshmen year and even sophomore year students should be required to take things like WRITING(not a reading class that has no application to real life never going to use my reading comprehension skills to solve world problems), basic math(if your going into most fields most math courses from high school are irrelevant), and basic science courses(same as math most won't be used in most peoples daily lives). I give ground because not all students know what they want to do with their lives. A lot of students though do know what they want to do and during junior and senior year instead of wasting their time you should allow students to take a double or triple math class if their heart desires or to take all the English courses they want. You can't use the argument about checkbooks and stuff because you are not taught that in high schools ever and with this system if someone is interested in knowing that there will be classes that a student can take in order to allow them to learn these things.

• Most Students Know Their Area Of Academic Interest By High School

When a student gets to high school, many students know what they want to do when they grow up or what academics they like. Why should a student sit through hours of Shakespeare if they know they want to be an engineer. Why should someone who wants to be an author have to suffer calculus and other intense academics. It would be much more productive if most or all of a students classes were for their ambitions and not to "meet state standards".

• To an extent

I believe that students should be given some freedoms with acedemics
    Yes I do believe in structure like class periods but also some stuff isn’t covered in most electives so they should be able to choose a math class that focuses on the practical application of it. Or a higher class if they plan on going into a field that requires that same with science
    Yes basic requirements like taking a math science history and English class should stay in place but there should be more freedom within that realm of what it focuses on

• I say yes as long as they are not too specific.

What I mean by that is, the student chooses between a bunch of subjects that they are intrested in and go on from there, there is no need for a fine arts major to know advanced algebra. The issue is that many people think that high school teaches you stuff that you will need... That's objectively false. No person will ever need every single thing they are taught in high school, hell, even middle school, nor will they remember most of it. High schoolers don't know what they want to do in life, that is absolutely true, but there is a big difference between " I don't know if I want to be an engineer or mathematician" and having to learn sexpiar's stans on women's rights for the absolutely wonderful reason of "you need to know this to pass the test". The school system as a whole needs to change and this would be a great way to start.
    P.S. To the people that say "high schoolers are too stupid to choose what they want to do so don't give them a choice" high schoolers choose the colleges they apply to so they kinda already do it, they just lose a lot of precious time along the way.

• Better for students

Must students' motivation revolves around their areas of interest. By forcing students to partake in courses that they show 0 interest for, they are less performant in and outside of school. Not only does this affect their academics, but it also affects them outside of school, when forced to do homework in a subject that they 100% hate. This could potentially cause stress, anxiety, and even depression.

• Yes, in a sense

Students should choose because they will be more inclined to do better in subjects they are passionate about. However, they also need to do some things they aren't too keen on to build resilience and a well-rounded knowledge base to get them through life. Let's face it, they can't realistically expect everything else in life to turn out how they choose, so they need to learn how to deal with change and challenges in high school. But if they can't choose anything at all, they are more likely to just lose all motivation. I think schools should make students choose one subject from each of a variety of areas, like the IB does! (1st language, 2nd language, Humanities, Sciences, Mathematics, Arts). Finally, all choices that students make should be informed ones!

• The facts dont lie

What this debate boils down to is "do high school students know what they want to do with their life?" If yes then great! Let them choose their own academics in high school. But the simple fact is that most high school students do NOT know what they want to do professionally. I am a second year college student and I can go on about how many people I knew/know in high school that are not firm with what they want to do with their life, but instead I will use facts to get my point through. According to an article, "The Developmental Disconnect in Choosing a Major: Why Institutions Should Prohibit Choice until Second Year" written in "The Mentor: An Academic Advising Journal" on Penn State University's website, 25 to 50 percent of students go into college undeclared. Already up to half of GRADUATED high school students don't know what they want to do. But it doesnt stop there: 75 percent of college student change their major at least once before the graduate. So if college students dont know what they want to do what makes us think immature high schoolers know what they want to do?

• A lot of them are not sure about their career paths.

Not all HS students know what they want to do when they grow up. If they can choose what they want, they might go down the wrong path. It's not like college where you can take a couple more years to figure stuff out. Plus, HS'ers are not adults, so they need not be liable for their professional lives yet.

• Structure isn't needed?

What would you say if your child came home telling you that they did absolutely nothing the entire day. I don't believe that children- high school kids-that is, have enough of a brain to decide what they should be learning. Although, I do believe that if schools give choices that is an incredible idea.

• They need requirements

While you may want to pursue a career that doesn't include physics or math, you need a broad intelligence in life. It is important to society that our people are well rounded in what they know. You may also need to know more things in life than you might think.

• They need requirements.

School is intended to get kids ready for life after school. No matter what career your going into, your going to need certain skills. Math, language arts, history, and science play a part in adult lives. You need to balance your checkbook, communicate with other people, understand your rights, etc.

• They need requirements.

• High schoolers are stupid.

Dogs are extremely fun but cats are my faveeeesss. I like chicken and corn dogs. One day there was a fat butterball turkey who ate Bob the end. WATER IS NOT WET. A circle is round, it has no end. That's how long I want to be your FRIEND!!!! Thanks and gnight.

>