• Mandatory insurance should be illegal

Mandating things, such as insurance, forces unnatural behavioural changes in people and organisations. Insurance should be an option for those that can afford to overpay for the security of protections. These overpayments and the payments out-of-pocket to cover costs that insurance would have otherwise covered help fund the services that can be handed out more cheaply to those without the financial means to pay for them outright. Every time there is more regulation/manipulation, the wealthy find ways around it vis-a-vis lawyers, etc. So, the socialistic intent of mandating insurance for all winds up creating a greater artificial wealth gap, and eventually lowers the quality of the service and providers in order to cut costs across the board.

• There Are Other Ways to Guarantee People Are Protected; If You Have the Financial Means You Should Be Paying With Your Own Money

Insurance itself is unnecessary. The security provided is necessary, but there are other possible means to this end. The government could cover people based on need and only what is needed, and then for all other things people should just pay and with their own money. Insurance causes INFLATION. Passing the risk to a company with more money means that the prices of the goods and services auto, healthcare, home, what ever it is will go up for all. That means people who previously would've afforded it fine without insurance then need to buy insurance, making the insurance companies richer, and creating a vicious cycle of inflation which leads to a great deal of the economy being spent to give insurance people profits instead of on actual production of goods and services. Prices would drop if insurance didn't exist and the government could intervene to protect people who don't have the means when they don't have the means. And if you have the means then pay directly for it.

• Insurance companies are a legal scam

Why should we be held hostages of corporations that do nothing for us, ? They just take or money and in the moment of payment they will look for every single excuse in the book to avoid payment. Insurance companies are a scam with government permission. If we really want to start doing things rid we should get rid of them and allow people to settle their issues in court.

• Yes mandated insurance should be illegal

It's bullshit, Fuck insurance companies. They are suppose to help with (auto)accidents, But when you have one they have dozens of lawyers at their disposal to find loop holes and reasons not to cover it's own customers claims. Meanwhile people on the flip side this situation take advantage insurance benefits

• It Is Scam

Insurance is nothing but a scam. Nowadays, becuase it's become mandate- enforced by "our government" They've stopped paying-out unless you have a lawyer to help collect if you're involved in a claim. They take your money and if you never end up using it that is money you'll never get back (Not even a percentage). And if you DO use the insurance then they make you pay even more for the same "Plan"

• Discrimination based on age/gender/race is illegal

Insurance companies base your quote on a likely hood based on your age gender and several other factors that can not prove you are more at risk. It is discrimination and should not be tolerated. On top of this companies are making money of the back of something that is there to protect people and have become very good at it paying over the odds to hire car companies and passing the price onto the policy holders to cover these obscene prices. My brother recently found out that the hire car his insurance was providing him with cost £400 a day. Well over the average price of renting a car privately, obviously theres some link here as to why they are happily not sourcing a cheaper company to hire from. Oh wait it keeps premiums high!

My answer to this, scrap companies being able to charge more than is the necessity and have a guideline amount based on actual facts such as engine size,power, seats, value and vehicle weight. These factors are the only things that matter when concluding how much damage it is capable of. My age does not change how many people could die in my 2 seater but having 4 seats doubles that chance.

• Insurance is a Scam!

Honestly 90% of everyone here has already stated everything I was going to say.

Insurance is nothing but a scam. They take your money and if you never end up using it that is money you'll never get back (Not even a percentage). And if you DO use the insurance then they make you pay even more for the same "Plan".

Honestly you should use a separate savings account as your insurance. That way if nothing happens you can still get that money back if you need it for something else (I'd recommend leaving it in said savings account unless absolutely necessary).

• Insurance is a scam.

When we get insurance, we pay someone who is trying to get money, to pay other people who are trying to get money. Sometimes it is for a very critical element of our life, like.. Our health, home, or transportation.

To understand, I must ask: Do we purchase purchasers for our purchases? No. That would be dumb to pay someone to do what we do for ourselves.

Do we collectively hire a purchaser to manage our family expenses, rather than negotiate those things ourselves? Sure, some families appoint an adult to manage the books. Do they garner benefits by controlling the family purchase power? Sure, the family can glean some benefit too, when expenses are concerted. Think wholesale, but.. Along with those wholesale bargains, you also lose variety, diversity, accountability, and free will.

Simply stated, health insurance is not the same thing as health care.

You want to inhibit price inflation, get rid of insurance. There are some other "i" words that capitalists love, that are utter nonsense. Pure fabrications. Artifacts of the imagination fashioned to resemble a limited reality.

Reality is, that in a consumer-driven market if people only pay what they can afford, inflation takes a stab in the balloon. It's a shame that places like the USA think that a sustaining economy is a failure, that continuous growth is necessary in a world of finite resources and linear technological advancement.

It is also unfortunate that most of my fellow USA citizens don't see the strong connection between our bipartisan system, big insurance is right up there with big oil and big pharma.

Food for thought, why don't we have utility insurance, for, you know, when the power goes out?

Seriously people, life happens.

It isn't all good, and trying to marginalize reality with fantasies like insurance is neutralizing life. I don't know about you, but I don't want a prescribed life of conformity where no direction or achievement exists except to force everyone down to the lowest level of subsistence that a human can achieve.. All in the name of the right to reproduce as a primordial slug of flesh.. Bah! I say. Insurance sucks.

• Fraud, theft, negligence.

Insurance encourages and stimulates negligence ( its ok if i ram that assholes car i have insurance ). Insurance enourages theft (i can take that from him he has insurance ). Insurance encourages fraud. ( i could get a mountain of cash if i sue!). The youth of this country will change insurance law.

• Fraud, theft, negligence.

• No insurance should not be illegal

No, I do not think that insurance should be illegal. Insurance companies run a legitimate business, and allowing Americans to buy insurance is part of the freedoms spelled out in the Constitution. Insurance also helps those Americans who may need relief when something bad happens by providing them resources like money and advice.

• Should it be illegal to procure insurance?

I'm a little unclear on the question. Insurance companies offer a service, like any other financial service. It serves a purpose and people voluntarily use it to better manage their lives. It's not even a socially deviant service to offer, so I don't see why anyone would think this is an issue. Perhaps the title is just misleading, I haven't read the argument on the other side yet.

In any case, it's just a service and until shown otherwise it should be legal to the same extent any given financial service is legal.

• No, it shouldn't.

No, I do not think that insurance should be illegal. Insurance is a very important service to so many people. I know that a lot of people, including myself, feel safer in life knowing we are insured if anything bad should happen. If insurance were illegal, I would feel a lot less secure.

• Insurance should not be illegal, MANDATORY insurance should.

For the most part, I agree wholeheartedly with almost everything stated with those who said yes. I vote that is should not, however, because there is a legitimate purpose for insurance. The issue I see here is that when insurance is mandated, it has no check against what they charge - no competition, except for each other. That competition is what drives insurance companies to offer the best coverage at the lowest rate. The insurance companies do work together to drop service and raise rates, as their only competitive margin currently is with other companies. When they work together to raise rates and reduce coverage, there is no limit to what they can charge, especially when there is the requirement to have the coverage. While there are legal limitations on what they can do, their lawyers can still find loopholes and ways around those limits. There needs to be the option to not have insurance, which will keep the policies and rates in check and worth their value, as if they do not, they will continue to lose customers to drive their business. Currently medical and car insurance are mandatory, and to some degree home insurance, and in these fields we see the most ridiculous increases. In areas that are not mandatory, such as life insurance, the rate to coverage ration remains much better. Also note that companies will also change rates significantly depending on the likelihood of the policies being cashed in on.

>