Should it be a legal requirement for citizens to vote in elections?

• I think that more people

should vote but not by force because that would make more people not want to vote. I am some what neutral about this because people need to vote and not be lazy, but they should have their say on what they do voting wise. Also some people don't have a way to get to their voting place unlike others that have cars. So, it is a yes and a no for me.

• Is it a Democracy?

How can it be that the United States of America, a DEMOCRATIC republic, can even elect a president without the majority actually voting? The fact of the matter is that you cannot have a democratic republic if there is no democracy. Also, the results will be more accurate with all of the population voting rather than less than half of eligible voters. It is your civic duty to vote just as it is to pay taxes or jury duty. And if the candidate that you wanted to win was not elected, I will say to you, "Maybe you should've voted."

• Our duty as Americans

We are not soviets. We are not communist. We are Americans. It is are duty to vote. If we do not vote will definitely lose that right. And if we lose that right, then we will become communist by the force of the government we didn't choose to be in office.

• All citizens should most definetly be required to vote

Citizens should be required to vote because it would help our country. The more votes we get, the more sure we are in better hands. If you complain and you didn't even vote, you don't have a right to complain. Some say they don't even care about elections. You don't care who's running your country?

• This is a NO-BRAINER!!! Of course!!

There is absolutely NO reason for someone not to vote. So much is given to you in America. Now the one thing that makes your country great is giving you the opportunity to express yourself by choosing a leader that you feel will make the country continue to move forward in an ever-changing world ... A nation that will be strong, safe, loving and prosperous. I feel it is the simple DUTY of each citizen to cast their vote. The idea that it infringes on "freedom of speech" is absolute nonsense. It actually enhances the notion of freedom of choice and expression. Give back to your country what it has given to you and your family! VOTE!!!! Make it LAW!!!

• Yes, there should be a law that says that people should vote.

Even if this means just changing the day to a Saturday or Sunday, it would improve voter turnout so much. For example, in Australia, if someone does not vote, they pay a fine. All eligible voters should vote because it makes the elections truly valid and the people voting themselves is even more valid than the electoral college vote.

• Yes, they should

I live in Canada, and I think that to be able to vote is an opportunity to express our opinions. But, if one would vote because of pressure, then I don't think it's right to make them vote. Everyone has their own opinion and their opinions needs to be in the right hands

• Yes Americans should be required to vote

I think they should because if we have somebody that we didn't want then we could've prevent that from happening by voting for the President we actually want as our President, that's why I think american citizens should be required to vote so we'll be happy with the President we have..

• Hese alternatives do NOT agree with required voting. Democracy is indeed a system under which 'all citizens participate equally', but to use that a

ABSOLUTELY not. It's unjust. As a citizen of Australia (a country that currently has an 'enroll to vote' or compulsory voting system, allow me to assure you that this is nothing more than an injustice, for a variety of reasons.

The first and foremost reason that not every citizen should legally have to vote lies in the fact that not every citizen actually takes an interest in parliament. Why should somebody who has no interest or knowledge about the political process, party policies or election promises have a say in who runs a country? The result is thousands of people voting for fictional characters every year, and HUNDREDS of thousands 'voting in the dark', as they don't understand the difference between parties and candidates.

Next, you must consider that there are those who entirely oppose democracy, and do not wish to influence or take part in a system that they consider to be corrupt or flawed. To be against democracy is equal in our society to being 'evil', but nothing could be further from the truth. To support an alternative form of government is quite common, and many of these alternatives do NOT agree with required voting.

• Voting should be required.

It is a privilege to vote and I think all citizens should be legally required to vote. A lot of the time, the people who gripe the loudest did not even take the time to vote. If every citizen voted, we would get a more accurate result from our elections. If every citizen voted, the influence of some strong groups might be diluted so that the populace is better represented.

• People should not be forced to vote.

Making someone vote is a violation of liberty. If you do not want to, you shouldn't be forced to. Sometimes people may not like the candidates and that person should not vote, for he or she thinks there is no one fit to win the election. These people have their own rights.

• NO! It wouldn't be accurate!

Many people say that voting would give you a more accurate election, but you guys are completely wrong. Forcing people to vote would make some citizens (that already vote) mad that they wouldn't even watch the debates, they would just guess. The people that didn't vote would still be lazy and might just go with their friends or spouses choice. Voting is NOT about just choosing a random person. It's about choosing a great leader to help us! It's just not right.

• Restricts Freedom of Speech

Many people would say that compulsory voting supports our democratic lifestyle. But in actuality, it only restricts our first amendment allowing freedom of speech. You see, freedom of speech does not only include your choice to speak, but also your choice to not speak at all. The whole meaning of "The government shall be for the people, of the people, and by the people" will lose its meaning if people are forced to exercise their right to vote. But even then it wouldn't be a right, but a must. People who say that compulsory voting supports our democracy should realize that democracy serves freedom, not the other way around.

• If We The People Are A Nation We Should Not Be Forced To Vote,

We Are A Democracy , We Have Rights , If Are Voice Matters So Shouldn't Are Say In Not Wanting To Vote. If The Goverment Wants Are Say Then Why Don't They Listen When We Say No. Dont Care Dont Vote. Some Dont Know Any Thing About Voting So To Make It Easy We Save Are Time And We Dont Vote.

• No, it should not be a requirement, because everyone has free will.

People are free to do whatever they want, within the boundaries of the law. I don't think anyone has the right to tell someone they have to vote. If people don't want to vote, do you really just want them to blindly go and mark the ballots as quickly as possible, just to get it over with? I would much rather the people who are serious, the people who do their homework, be the ones casting the votes. There are too many important things on the ballots, and I don't want my future in the hands of the junkie down the street.

Posted by: 5h4bbyHaIey
  • No

Each person should be able to have the choice. A lot of people like to remain neutral and the electoral college ultimately has the final say. Therefore requiring all citizens to vote would just be inciting some new ignorance into the polls because not everyone is educated enough to make a decision.

• Australia has forced voting

Australia has forced voting and I forgot to vote and received a fine. This is not democracy. Most Australian citizens have the right to vote but not the equal right not to vote. I am sick of the rubbish the Australian politicians propose and when they get into government, they do the opposite or something else to placate their supporters. My reason why I don't wish to vote is to send all political parties a message, if you want my vote, then earn it with policies and actions that support the general population.

• "the RIGHT to VOTE"

the hedline says it. i have a RIGHT to vote. and for someone such as myself being forced to vote is only gonna piss me off more and want even less to do with this terrible system. better yet i would be an uneducated voter and that doesnt seem like the right thing to do. and guess what i dont vote and i dont complain, thats what all of you who did vote do for me.

• No because it is a right not a requirement

People that vote should be educated not people who know nothing about who they are voting for.

We Are A Democracy. We Have Rights. If our Voice Matters So Shouldn't our Say In Not Wanting To Vote. If The Goverment Wants our Say, Then Why Don't They Listen When We Say No. Dont Care, Dont Vote. Some Dont Know Any Thing About Voting So To Make It Easy We Save our Time And We Dont Vote.

• People won't be informed voters.

I am an American citizen, I am only 14, and I am doing a research paper about this topic. From listening to my family all these years, I know that not everyone will take the time to be informed about this topic. Not everyone will get off there butts and take the time to understand both sides; they will listen to other people's opinions, be under pressure, etc. They will vote based on others beliefs, not their own. We are not a dictatorship! We are citizens, and they cannot, and should not force us to do something we don't want to do.

citizen_stavros says2018-11-09T18:26:57.887
Absolutely yes.
Always thing of the millions of people around the world that still do not have the right to vote.
To those that do not vote I say this. “Accept my choice and do not complain”.
>