Should juveniles under 18 receive life sentences?

• There NEEDS to be an avenue...

It is safe to say the teenagers may commit any type of crime that an adult may commit. Of course, it is already taken into account that the teenager's brain is not fully developed and they also have not experienced many life lessons that an adult may have experienced. For this reason, teens and adults are not tried under the same circumstances. However, there needs to be a way to keep harmful people that are not able to function in a normal society, in a predicament where they are able to contribute to their environment and their life in the most positive way that they are capable. Therefore, it can be concluded that a life sentence may be necessary in order to keep everyone safe. It is in the constitution that EVERYONE'S rights should be protected. This is a way to do so.

• Idek idek idek

Idk kkkkkkkkkkkkkk k k k k k k k k k k k k k k k k k k k k k k k k k k k k k m m m m m m m m m m m m m m m m m m m

• Yes they should!

Most of you claiming that the "juvenile brain" is underdeveloped is on orthodox. The normal human brain doesn't stop completely developing until the age of 22. Does that mean that we should excuse anyone under the age of 22 of their crimes? I think not. Also, if a juvenile were to come into your home, murder your whole family just for the thrill of it, your decision on juveniles not staying in prison for life, would change.

• Yes they should!

• Yes, there should be life sentences for under 18s

Though I am 17 and a supporter of child rights, I believe when a kid, whether he's 4 or 17, he should be in jail for life. Even if it's a very young child, he should be in prison for the rest of his/her life and NEVER be released, no matter what. If it's 1st decree murder or mass murder, he should NEVER be out of prison. EVER!!!

• Yes, it should.

I'm for child rights, but when a kid, whether he is 4 or 17, when he commits a crime they have to pay. If we let violent children or teens run around loose, we might end up all getting killed! So kids, even young kids, when they do something really bad, such as 1st decree murder, or worse, mass murder, they should be in prison for the rest of their lives. But no death penalties. Not for anybody. Ever

• In 1st Degree Murder

I believe and support the life sentence for juveniles who commit first degree murder. I do not think it is right for a young person to be let go and free at age 18, when they have committed a heinous crime. Murder is a serious charge, regardless of a persons age.

• Only if Very Violent Crime

Violent criminals who aren't insane and knew the difference between right and wrong should receive life sentences if the kids are teenagers. Serial rapists, murderers and drug traffickers should be removed from society as long as possible if they knew what they did at the time they did it. Violent criminals should be locked away and rehabbed because of their violent tendencies. If a life sentence without parole is needed, so be it.

• If you do an adult crime then you should receive adult time

Yes. If an 18 year old does something that warrants a life sentence that is what he or she should receive such. At this age the understanding of what he or she has done is evident and they should punished or in reality, they will most likely do it again. I do however believe that it should be a case by case basis not all these case warrant such a harsh sentence.

• Yes they should

No matter the age, if you have done something worthy of a life sentence I think you should face the consequences and not get time off just because you are a juvenile. If you kill someone, you deserve to suffer in jail even if you are under 18. I dont think that should be debated.

• Yes, They should

They should be tried as adults, Just because they’re kids doesn’t mean what they did is justifiable. Kids who know right from wrong should be punished for violent crimes, Their age does not matter. We shouldn’t reprimand them and turn the other way there must be a line drawn between what is right and what is wrong.

• Rehabilitation has proven more effective.

After doing extensive research on this topic, I have decided that they should not receive life sentences. Of course, the crime and any outside influences should be taken into account before finalizing their punishment, but overall a life sentence is ineffective. Rehab seems to be the cheaper and best option.
    Only 8% of children that go into rehabilitation programs go back to prison (stats provided by the NCCP). If they have the opportunity to go back into society as a functioning member, I think that should be the route taken instead of incarcerating them.
    But I don't stand for all people under 18. I firmly believe that any extremely violent offenders and older teens in the right state of mind should be regarded with caution. But it still stands that they aren't as mentally developed at 20-25 years old than 13-18, and I think that should be taken into account.

• Brain capacity is it really that

You brain capacity contains white and grey matter and which stores info and conncetions of result.But this doesnt fully devlop until early 20s so it raises another question if no then should adults under 25 recieve to harsh to a punishment realistically also? But no one says the facts ;)

• No they shouldn´t

Kids have more vunerability to family and social pressures than adults and the whole reason of their crimes sometimes are usually mental illness or a bad upbringing so we should not imprison kids on the way society has treated them up to the day they commit a crime. H j

• No they shouldn´t

• They are kids

You have to look at every individual case. People say, "well they are kids what do they know about killing?" Exactly! They obviously went through something. You have to take into consideration why they killed. Were they sexually, verbally or physically abused? Or are they just mentally unstable? Or just plain old crazy?

• They grow up learning.

In order for me to explain myself I need to give an example. If a pre-teen commits a crime in which he will possibly face life in prison who should be held responsible? A kid is not born with a killing mentality; when a kid is born he knows nothing, doesn't know how to walk,eat, or even speak. They are taught, if a kid has bad behavior and starts to participate in small crimes who should be held responsible for those acts? Who taught or gave him the motive? A teen murders his parents and is sentenced to life in prison because they think "there is no fixing him". Why put the kid through that? You can't expect to fix years of trauma by caging them in until they, that's why rehab is needed. Kids need time to be "rewired"

• NO they shouldnt

Under developed brains have very hard times assessing consequences and it severely hinders the brain's decision making process. Of course a child should not go unpunished for a crime (especially one that deserves a life sentence for an adult) but I do believe that for a child to commit such crimes, there must be emotional trauma or poor role models in their lives but someone who has lived 18 years and younger has a good chance of being rehabilitated and should not experience the rest of their life behind bars

• Kids, Not Adults

Kids are different from adults. They act differently, they do things differently, and so many more things.

What's the point of making kids suffer in prison for their entire life if they haven't grown up yet? Their brains aren't fully complete and they still needa learn things throughout their life.

• Fdsjfgkhufydhgjtkylurkdjhkligdfkjlgy;tkdfjshn jokn ihbjnuvygbhj nko

Jfgzdbghryjgfhuitdfjgxfhkjyoiugukxyggkuhghzfhkzjfxhjzgfahshjasdjcvagjsdcvhagdfcgkja,hgckashgcvhgkasgdckhasvdcghasvdchasvghdcvyi bghckhv kadv v hb hkj bgv v v b bbbv bv v bb bv vb bvb vb bv bv bbvvb bv bv vbb b b bb b b b bgv vgvgjh gcxdfygihbjyufgbhj gfytcgvbh ucx rcfgvt 6dr5f6ghvubh gvbhj noihugvfubhj ni utfvgybhunj iohb gyhjn ohivufgbhjugiy8t hbivy bgfnhj hbvugybnhj kobgiu hjnoh bugvynhju bvgyhj nk

>