Should kids with dyslexia be put into special education classes in public schools?

• Dyslexic Immersion classes should be set up across school districts

There are many successful private schools for dyslexic children, why would anyone expect any less success applying the same model within public schools. This is not so much a "special education" class but more like a language class. There are Spanish, French, Mandarin and other immersion classes that learn all subjects with peers in such language. The same approach can be applied with dyslexic kids.

• Kids with dyslexia should be put into special education classes in public schools.

Kids with dyslexia should be put into special education classes in public schools. Dyslexia is a learning disability which makes reading and interpreting writing more difficult, so students who suffer from the disease should be placed in special classes where they are given extra help by teachers the learning process.

• Special Ed Classes are too BROAD for students with dyslexia

While it has been proven that dyslexia is a life-long disability and that teachers do NOT receive the special training necessary to truly recognize, define, or understand how to help dyslexic children, the special ed programs are no different. These programs are geared for children with other specific learning disabilities and will end up dumbing down the students with dyslexia (as their IQ actually tends to run higher than the average student... They just learn to READ and comprehend what they are reading differently). There are so many different sub-types of dyslexia and unless someone is a true specialist on dyslexia, which public schools just DO NOT OFFER, there is no reason to lump them into a group with a label or have people that see it as such a widespread problem that "they can mainstream," or who want to save it for the "real problems like autism" create issues in learning for those with dyslexia. As a mother of a child with dyslexia, and later researcher after so-called programs did not see what I saw from an early age, having had a sibling that was dyslexic, it took until my daughter was 10 to get the official diagnosis. The time for intervention and the assistance I needed had long passed after hours of reading and work at home just to get through NORMAL homework. I do think that the programs need to be revamped, that just because I worked at home with my daughter to read things to her and help her to learn methods that were beyond what public schools were willing to do, only to have the school put her in a program and kick her right back out after the first 3 weeks of 6th grade because all of the "creative projects" she'd worked on as review or introductions to new teachers, middle school, etc., that got her good grades no longer allowed her to stay in the program are rubbish. Once dyslexic, always dyslexic. There is no cure. There is just no widespread public school programs or teachers with the knowledge to TRULY help these children... So no, do not put my child in special ed where every learning disability gets lumped together and kids learn to perform the same as their counterparts. I also say this because I have seen the public schools and their special education teachers. Do you know who their special education aids are? Many times they are moms with NO experience in special education who have been associated with the school in one form or another. They receive a few mandatory training hours and BOOM.. They are now specialized in assisting in teaching kids with any learning disability. Truly, until scientists understand and stop bickering over the true cause or even true way that different types of dyslexics learn, the most that can be done is to keep children out of special education classes and hope they have parents that will help or go get help for their child elsewhere.

• Kids with dyslexia should not be put into special education classes in public schools.

Kids with dyslexia should not be put into special education classes in public schools. I think this would be wrong to punish a kid based on the disability. They are still of mind and sound and should not be held back because of this. They should be taught how to deal with their dyslexia and be allowed to move forward.

• Depends on the School

Dyslexia is a diagnosis with a very wide range of intensity and effects. For some, it's an annoyance that only increases their desire to work harder and achieve more. They can use a wide variety of reading aids (which all schools have an obligation to make available) and benefit from support services. For others, it's completely debilitating and/or combined with other learning or physical disabilities. In these cases, special education is often the more logical choice. At the end of the day, the choice to put an individual student from any school in special education must be addressed on a case by case basis.

• They can mainstream.

No, kids with dyslexia should not be put into special education classes in public schools, because dyslexia is a small problem compared to the children who have autism and other problems. Children with dyslexia would be very discouraged to be put in special classes, and they would be told that they are behind.

• No, kids with dsylexia shouldn't be put in special classes.

I do not think that kids with dyslexia should be put in special classes in public schools. I think that people with dyslexia shouldn't be treated any differently than other people. I do think that there should be after school programs that should be available to help them out with their issues.

>