Should marijuana be classified as a Schedule I drug?

• Marijuana should be classified as a schedule one drug.

The reasons behind my argument are : 1) it is addictive 2) it causes individuals to be less motivated 3) it has long term effects that cause your brain to show signs of schizophrenia 4) it shows signs of negatively effecting your Motor skills ex: people who are stoned have much slower reactions then those who are not. 5) Some facts from drugabuse.Gov :

Marijuana overactivates the endocannabinoid system, causing the “high” and other effects that users experience. These effects include altered perceptions and mood, impaired coordination, difficulty with thinking and problem solving, and disrupted learning and memory.

Marijuana also affects brain development, and when it is used heavily by young people, its effects on thinking and memory may last a long time or even be permanent. A recent study of marijuana users who began using in adolescence revealed substantially reduced connectivity among brain areas responsible for learning and memory. And a large long-term study in New Zealand showed that people who began smoking marijuana heavily in their teens lost an average of 8 points in IQ between age 13 and age 38. Importantly, the lost cognitive abilities were not fully restored in those who quit smoking marijuana as adults.

Marijuana smoke is an irritant to the lungs, and frequent marijuana smokers can have many of the same respiratory problems experienced by tobacco smokers, such as daily cough and phlegm production, more frequent acute chest illness, and a heightened risk of lung infections. "

There is a reason marijuana is illegal and I believe it should stay illegal.
    I used to smoke marijuana. I agree that it does help with nausea and a lost appetite but the good DOES NOT weigh out the bad.

• I say yes.

Marijuana is a drug that is not safe. Regardless of what the weed lobby wants you to think, it is not something fit for human consumption. We do not know what kind of effects this drug has on people yet, and it should remain a schedule one drug at all times.

• Yes, in the opinion of Doctors

Marijuana is a very harmful drug. This has been proven over and over again. We have an epidemic use of marijuana in our grade and high schools. Psychologists and Medical Doctors are very much in agreement about the addictive nature of this drug, despite organization like NORML. And, most people in jail on marijuana charges are not in jail because of simple possession. They are harden criminals that did other crimes, including selling to minors.

• Yes, marijuana should be classified as a schedule 1 drug.

I understand it is an herb, and it is better than they synthetic drugs they have out now, but it is still a very addictive drug. There is no reason for a person to try and numb their brains, and that is what mj does. It puts you in a euphoria state and that can lead to accidents. No, people don't die from mj, but the effect it has on a person can.

• Marijuana should stay classified as a schedule 1 controlled substance.

Marijuana is definitely a gateway drug. It causes an extreme lack of motivation unless it's to microwave a burrito or fix a snack. There's no real evidence of medical benefits, You'll only hear otherwise from smokers who want it legalized as well as traffickers of the drug. It's dangerous and causes a plethora of health issues as well as lowering overall intelligence.

• Abusive addictive drug

Harms the body and many other aspects of you and it also harms the people that are around you and there is know need for this to be out there when it can harm the body and the brain and can also hurt your very own loved ones so yes it should be classified as a schedule two drug

• It was made illegal for political reasons

The ONLY reason it is Schedule 1 and even illegal is because back in the early 1900s, The hemp industry threatened the logging industry. So that industry greased the right palms and here we are today. Back then they made up idiotic and racist claims like "reefer madness" and "those crazy black reefer aricts will steal your white women". These lies have continued to this day. Crodgidy old politicians who know nothing about it's medicinal benefit, Or even how hemp could help continue to claim "it's a gateway drug" and keep it classified as thee most dangerous drug around.

Let's be honest for a moment. Alcohol kills more people in a single DAY then marijuana has throughout HISTORY. Yet it's legal. Cigarettes are HORRIBLE and have ZERO benefit to mankind. Yet they are legal. It has been factually proven that marijuana can help someone like me, Who suffers from horrifically painful neuropathy. I qualify for medical mj in NYS. But thanks to the Federal Government and the DEA, I can either keep my job as a commercial driver and suffer in pain, Or take mmj, Which in NY has NO psychoactive properties, And lose my livelyhood. Oh but, See, I COULD be put on oxycontin. See that would be fine. Because we all know how well opiates treat pain, And how they are totally not addictive right? This is the stupidity of the Federal Government.

I sincerely believe that MJ will never be legal at the Federal Level until big pharmacy figures out how to gain total control.

• Because I'm not an idiot

You seriously have to be an idiot to think it deserves schedule I. It has proven medical benefits and relatively harmless side effects. It's also less addictive than drugs found in schedule II and III. Supporting marijuana prohibition is equal to supporting the racism that started the prohibition. Please be better than that.

• Duh! Legalize It and help ppl

1st off I don't do drugs but I still know weed is not that bad bcuz It's less addicting than other drugs, you can't over dose on it, it's the least dangerous drug, even less dangerous than alcohol and unlike alcohol it doesn't make you want to fight anybody or beat a spouse, weed has a lot of medical uses and drug companies know that and they know they stand to lose millions and weed is less dangerous and addicting than the drugs they are pushing and less negative side effects than them too

• What is drugs. What is medicine.

Knowing the Cannibis’s beneficial and negative effects allows the user to understand and knowing to how to self-moderate the uses for positive uses.

In fact alcohol and opioids are do have uses yet the effects can be davistating if abused. Just read the abuses and side effects of those scientific paper. If used with control and moderation it have beneficial uses.

In fact why government “regulation”, if the ruling body decides for the people. How will they learn both sides of conclusion, actually unknown potential could have missed out.

Instead of making laws to forbid, why not help the, learn/educate instead. Helping with positive emotion, not by locking people for using “DRUGs”. Putting people in fear do not help, help them get back on the feet is what allow them to move on and evolve both mentally and physically. Why put people in just to be locked up, locked up like dogs. That’s what I see.

• Marijuana is not schedule 1

It has medical properties..Pain, nausea and it has cancer killing properties that I have witnessed personally. It does motivate people, it helps with sleep and I do believe it helps with anger and creative thinking. I think that you have to be blind to not see it has medical properties and that it was a victim of a political scam that continues today. I don't really care if they change it or not....It is the #1 cash crop year after year.

• There is NO valid supporting evidence.

There is NO valid supporting evidence that it should be on Schedule I. Government officials have used their offices to restrict the proper testing necessary to justify this. Theses decisions need to be proven by science not out of fear or sheer ignorance. Thank goodness that the people are beginning to rise against the corrupt decisions that have mislead so many generations.

• It is not that addictive

I have been quit marijuana for over a year and i get no cravings and the main reason i quit is because i got tired of smoking it so how is that addictive. It is mentally addictive but it is no more addictive than caffeine or chewing toothpicks so they better classify toothpicks as schedule 1 before marijuana. Marijuana as a schedule 1 drug is one of the most laughable laws in existence and it's even legal in north korea for crying out loud the world's most repressive country.

• Marijuana or cannabis should not be part of any Federal or State laws.

Someone growing marijuana in their yard, though, is hardly interstate commerce. Indeed, it may never leave that address, let alone cross state lines. Add to that the fact that the Constitution clearly reserves “police powers”–the historic general authority to make laws about health, safety, welfare and commerce–to the states; they’re not delegated to the federal government. The fact is regulating marijuana is not a power the Constitution spells out as a federal one, so it is for the states to handle, or the people to keep for themselves via the Tenth Amendment.

Keep in mind that this plant existed at the time of the founders, as did others that had similar effects. And yet the federal government did not regulate them. Instead, they chose to leave it to the states, which, for the most part, also chose not to regulate it until the last century or so. Indeed, an early federal prohibition against marijuana, the Marihuana Tax Act of 1937, was later found unconstitutional on the grounds that it required self incrimination. A new law was quickly put in place and the prohibition evolved from there, never really squaring with the fact that this is clearly an area of the law that should remain under state jurisdiction.
    Further, even though the states can regulate it under their police powers, there is little room to argue that it is more unhealthy than alcohol or prescription pain killers. Both have killed tens of thousands, while marijuana has killed none.

• In All Technicality, Marijuana Meets The Requirements of a Schedule 2 Drug.

Technically speaking, marijuana fits the required status of a schedule II drug. A schedule two drug is a drug poses a moderate risk of abuse but also knowingly serves a medicinal purpose such as numbing of pain, thinning of blood, accelerating or assisting the digestive track, etc.

I, for one, am against the thought of using marijuana as a medical drug but I can not argue against facts. Marijuana does in fact help settle severe pains when used. There are people with pains that other medicines don't seem to temper, marijuana is capable of settling such pains. The two primary requirements for schedule II drugs, moderate risk but known medicinal purpose, are met by marijuana.

So am I saying that I think marijuana should be the go to drug for lessening pain? No, the use of any drug to such an extent would be superfluous and unnecessary, but the use of marijuana for *severe* pains is more than acceptable in the medical world. Even simple prescription or over the counter drugs have a small risk of addiction or mental instability if overused, but only if they are overused. Using marijuana for medicinal purposes at an acceptable rate would be as useful for curing ailments as ibuprofen or morphine. It has no more potential for abuse than the drugs patients are already being prescribed. When issued to patients in a formal sense, marijuana can be at par with drugs already in the schedule II category.

• Should marijuana be classified as a Schedule 1 drug?

No it is NOT "highly addictive" and it does have multiple health benefits which have been scientifically documented. It is therefore scientifically incorrect for cannabis to remain on Schedule 1. WHO has recently declared CBD to be non-addictive, non-psychoactive and very effective in treating disorders ranging from intractable epilepsy to PTSD. Furthermore, the US Govt owns the patent on cannabis as a medical treatment so it's hypocrisy writ large to have other branches of the same (arguably corrupt) government trying to maintain the exact opposite stance. In states which have decriminalised
    cannabis use, overdose rates AND car crashes have decreased. Criminalisation of cannabis leads to contempt for the law - it brings the administration of justice into disrepute. It should be legal

>