Should Martial Arts be taught as part of Physcial Education?

Asked by: Sabre16
  • For the sake of self defense

There many reasons why martial arts should be taught in school. Martial Arts can range from Karate to Wushu to Grav Maga to Systema and so on. However, the expense and time dedication of various martial arts tends to reserve the practice only for socioeconomic elites & middle-class who have a surplus of both. In foreign counties that take pride in their history of martial arts (e.G. Japan & Judo, Thailand & Muay Thai) classes and competitive teams are offered in public schoos, making the practice accessible to all persons. Why not the United States? I find myself wondering what arguments there are against such a proposition and welcome any and all disagreement.

• I think Martial Arts should be taught in gym for self defense reasons.

Girl was saved from being mugged by Martial Arts being taught in gym. I think that when somebody gets into a fight, they should know exactly how to defeat their enemy. I believe that everyone should be taught self defense and Martial Arts. Self defense is more important than you think.

• Yes, saved my childhood

In school we were taught basic martial arts and self defence for six weeks every year. When I was out one night, someone approached me from behind asking for directions and then tried to mug me, luckily I had my basic self defence and they were rather clueless, I managed to restrain him long enough to get away.

• Yes, saved my childhood

• Is there not martial arts in schools

In my school it has wrestling and i can say no one has bullied me after I took the classes. Also some schools have boxing courses one of my online friends took and he said the same thing. All this argument is is that it is violent. Well guess what so are bullies. Martial arts teaches how to fight, be confident, and have general good life morals.

• Karate can teach kids valuable life lessons

Karate or martial arts, in general, can teach kids valuable life lessons. These can include confidence, respect, and discipline/control. However, if they do not have a trained instructor who is at least a black belt teaching it, I don't think it is a good idea. Karate is so good for everyone's physical and mental health

• It should be

It would be more fun for children to learn than what they teach now because what they teach now bores students . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

• Teaches you lessons

Martial arts will give you confidence in everything you do. Everything you learn inside that dojo will come into your normal life. All the lessons you learn will help you and it'll teach you how to better yourself. Martial arts is extremely underrated, it will teach you many life lessons.

• Martial arts is not just about attacking...

I've trained in martial arts for over 15 years. And for starters it's not all about how to throw kicks and punches or how to beat the crap out of each other. It teaches self control, awareness, and supports independence. It helps to show a better way out of a difficult situation, it teaches you to avoid situations that may be dangerous, how to handle situations in a non violent way, and how to protect/ defend yourself if you can't avoid or walk away. I really think it should be taught in schools because I know people who have been raped, physically abused, or almost kid napped. Martial arts can provide a broader self defense aspect in school to prepare one for the real world. I think it's always best to prepare for a situation you may never be in, then get caught in it and not know what to do.

• Martial arts stereotype

Reading through the opposing arguments on this site, 90% of comments criticise the exact same thing, martial arts shouldn't be taught because its violent and dangerous and 'teaches kids to fight '. The fact of the matter is if you believe this then you've probably either been taught martial arts by a bad instructor or you've never done martial arts and just spread the same stereotypical views as everybody else who bases their opinions on what they see in the media.
    Anyone who knows martial arts knows that any good martial art instructor teaches respect, safe use of the discipline they practice, helping those around you, honor, honesty, hard work and perseverance in achieving your goals.
    But like i say, no body opposing martial arts mentions those things, instead they just carry on the uneducated stereotype that martial arts is about fighting and violence.

• It's NOT a sport!

Physical Education is comprised of a variety of sports. The Martial Arts, in ANY form, are not a sport. They are form of defense. That is two very different things. In Asian countries, you will find the Martial Arts in schools because those nations are historically Bujutsu societies. It is tradition -- literally a way of life to them. From this same tradition comes Seppuku (suicide), Kamikaze missions (suicide), Banzai charges, etc. To deeply ingrain this culture into its people, the indoctrination starts early. The United States is not a warring society. We have never incorporated such training in our school systems, because we have very different social norms.

• It stinke like poop

U shmurl like put]] beertfcuz u r a poiuytreiice ogf purps lololollolollololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol ha ha you need a diper for your diper bcuq u ppe on ben wuq hur hahahahahahah ha hah ha ah ha ah ah ah ha ha ha ha ah ha ha ah ha ah ha ah ha ha ha

• Why force something on kids?

Maybe we should make military boot camp a school curriculum as well. Just in case we have to send the average Joe or Jane out to fight overseas or to protect our borders. Why force something on kids that is not part of their culture? Martial Arts will only make them practice it on themselves it's basically giving kids knives and guns and telling them to "protect" themselves when anyone knows they will use it on each other.

• Why force something on kids?

• It will make kids fit, they will learn self defence... But!!!!

Martial arts are just like encouraging kids to bullying or fighting, martial arts have a great risk of injury or death on kids, most parents agrees on that. And schools are known for knowledge, not martial arts, if you wanted to learn martial arts, I think you needs to go to a martial arts school.

• Kids get Hurt

Studies show that the top two common actives that kids get their eyes poked out in the world are hockey and martial arts. Plus kids could get hurt by a another kid very bad. So the school would have to pay for insurance and other things to pay back the family.

• You can use it for bad uses

Sure you can use it for self defense, but a lot of kids would use for things like bullying. (Threatening or straight on attacking people) And a lot of people will say that if they do use it inappropriately they should be punished, but what stops them from doing it outside of school.

• It is going to be a big disadvantage

Tall people are always tempted to use their physical superiority and neglect or totally deny or make fun of other means.It does not make you a good fighter.It takes a lot of time to learn it.You are going to get banged up.It costs a lot of money.You need to train a lot to get good at it.

• It is not a major sport

Not many minor sports are actually incorporated in PE, and martial arts, dance, and gymnastics are some of these sports. I love dance, but not many people do, and it's probably the dame for martial arts. I know that there's only like 1 or 2 people in my PE class who would enjoy a week long martial arts unit. Also, martial arts seems like a hard unit, and I know that it would take more than a week to actually learn.

• It is not a major sport

Vajrasattva-LeRoy says2014-09-09T16:13:12.137
Of course not.
Fighting is the opposite of self-defense.
Promoting war, fighting, etc. , violates the U.S. signed
Declaration of Peace at the UN, & the UN Charter.
supe_folot says2018-05-01T16:44:15.530
Vajrasattva-leroy you do know martial art is self defence
are you retarded
>