• It’s unnecessary post grade 8

Math should be an elective because unless the student so chooses to have a math related career because school is supposed prepare the student for their future, complex math is something never encountered by the average person and in place of math perhaps something more important to life should replace it

• Advanced maths = optional, Practical maths = mandatory

Practical maths involve arithmetic and basic algebra + geometry because these will tend to be used on a daily basis. Some examples include prices (including changes), interest, taxes, budgeting, bills and so on. These skills should be refined throughout years 9-12 from classes like Finances or Management. Advanced maths would include anything from Trigonometry to Calculus, and these would suit people more interested into maths or for those who want a career based around maths. However, for those who don't want a career focused around maths, they can avoid advanced classes, learning practical maths instead.

• Math should be optional after learning the basics needed for life...

Unless a student is planning a career in such fields as engineering, science, math, or technology, is algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and calculus really necessary? I have not pursued one of those career fields since finishing college and have never used anything I learned in algebra or calculus since I took those classes. Ever. The only math I have used has been adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing whole numbers, decimals, percents, and fractions and other topics I learned before eighth grade. Yes, higher math is great for learning logic. And it is a good way to challenge students. But if a student wants to be a hairdresser or a cop, why would they need higher math?

• Maths shouldn't be optional from any year.

Maths as a subject should never be optional as maths is very important in future and our daily life . For example when we go to buy our daily Groceries to pay the bill we need to know maths .So I think that maths is a very important subject in our life.

• I agree with the first statment on the affirmative side but I also agree with the one below.

I like the idea that advance maths should be optional and practical maths should be mandatory. This is becasue most careers have maths involved, therefore meaning that maths is a nessecary subject that needs to be learnt for a successful future. I am a year 8 and I dislike maths but I still agree that it should be mandatory because my dreams and goals for when I'm older involve maths.

>