• Good concept, horrible results

Megan's law should at the very least be modified, so that people cannot find out if there is a "Sex Offender" (More on that later) nearby. This stupid system incites unnessecary violence and vigilante justice and often just punishes innocent people due to a past mistake. The recidivism rate for sex offenders is 5.3%, the lowest among any type of criminal. "Sex Offenders" Include, but are not limited to streakers, statutory rape,sexting, hiring a prositute, prostitution,bestiality, incest, date rape, rape, and child molestation. I believe that most of these people should not even be on a list, the only possible exceptions (who's name would still have to be shielded from the public) would be pedophiles and child molesters, rapists, and non-consentual incest.
    Weird story, but years ago my family was friends with another family and this women was insane!! She knew where every Sex offender in the area lived. Long story short her Police Officer (Detective) husband (I wish I was kidding) was caught mis using A POLICE COMPUTER to send pictures of his junk to a 13yr old girl (or a decoy, I forget). They moved away after we moved away and he got his pension revoked and is now in prison. Megan's law didn't protect anyone in this case, in fact it just made her paranoid and scared of the outside world.

• Its unconstitutional and against the idea of corrections

Its extremly punative, Dangerous, Unfair, Implimented incorrectly, And goes against the fabric of corrections, Why not just sentence to death and carry it out swiftly if not allow someone to be a part of society again, Megans law creates a situation of someone downloading a picture and makes them a violent felon, Why punish someone more harshly for looking at a picture than someone who actually rapes kids google it, You can get more time for posessing a drawing of a nude child than having sex with a child? ! Living next to a playground or not never stopped any criminal from commiting offenses, So making their life hard for the rest of their life is cruel and unusual punishment which is unconstitutional

• Yes it should

Simply put, Most offenders are put in jail first or suffer from probation. Which in return means no access to anywhere a child goes like a playground etc. That however is not the issue the issue is that you are then told to be in a sex offender program done by a therapist, Who is supposed to be able to asses the person, Even further more they can seek psychiatric help. These people both therapist and phycologist have proven that this program is not only unconstitutional, But also not working. As a matter a fact anyone who thinks we need this is paying tax payer dollars for something proven to be flawed and not work.

• What price vengeance?

There are many innocent people under Megan's Law due to an act of revenge, combined with corrupt politicians and prosecutors. If you are accused under Megan's Law, you are automatically guilty. The Kankas did not want closure or justice. They wanted to take revenge on the rest of the world to assuage their guilt for not being vigilant

• Megan's Law is a confusing mess that doesn't live up to the hype

Having lived for 3 years under this mess of a law, I can say from personal experience that it is a constantly shifting patchwork of bad legislation. Any time I want to travel outside the state, I have to try and divine what the particular version of Megan's Law is where I will be traveling. Every time I do something as simple as sign up for an online account, I have to drive 30 minutes to my local State Police to register the fact in person. But not all accounts are required to be recorded, and nobody in the State Police seems to be certain which are which. My offense was committed while I was living in another state, and my current state has incorrectly translated the offense putting me in Tier 3 when I should be Tier 1. I will probably have to hire a lawyer to sort it out, and in the mean time I must again visit the local State Police four times a year in addition to the countless other times I already visit them to report any time anything changes with regards to my work, home, car, online identifiers, etc. Anyone who says this law isn't punitive hasn't had to deal with it. It may be possible to create a law to inform the community of violent offenders without creating an undue burden on those who have served their time, but this isn't it. Furthermore, why is it only sex offenders that we treat this way? If I had shot someone while robbing their house I wouldn't have to deal with this.

• It is not a deterrent.

1964 My sister was born. My mom 16, my dad 20... So my dad should be on Megan's law web site? In fact, I have heard hundreds and hundreds of instances just like that as I tell others. You think Megan's law makes it safer for your kids? It does not!!! It just might make it more dangerous because the person you might trust has not be caught yet.
    Once a sex offender always a sex offender? Punishing someone for life for streaking at a football game(for a prank) is excessive to say the least. Just might cause some kid to kill himself. I will admit there are predators out there that should have there dicks cut off but guess what, 99.99% of them are not on the web site. 99.99% of the Megan's law web site are NOT PREDATORS!!!!!!!
    I once worked with someone on the web site in 2002 to 2006. He was married with two young kids. When it was discovered he was on the site he was forced to resign. I do not know the details to his case but he was not the Devil.

• Lawyers will push u into making a plea deal!

Lawyers will push a lot of those on that list into making a plea deal. Promising no jail time and no Megan’s law but when in front of a judge you get hung out to dry. The lawyers know that u have spent $30,000 that u don’t have just for bathing and taking care of a child. Now we as a family have to deal with the unconstitutional Megan’s law and people looking and whispering. They have no clue but will post pics all over Facebook and make intimidating comments of those on the list. I agree with if u do your time why do they need to register? Yes if your a murderer or rapist but the other should not be on there. Unconstitutional and leads to threats from the community.

• A well intended, but ineffective law and use of tax dollars.

While I as a parent and grandparent understand the zeal to protect our communities and children, this like most sex offender laws do not. We tell those incarcerated improve yourself, change, pay your debt. In states like Florida that means nothing, there is no end to payment. Megan's law does not protect, it de-humanizes, shames, and punishes in the public eye, while encouraging vigilantly justice. If we were to be fair Marc Lunsford, who had downloaded and viewed child porn on his computer would be on his own list. John Walsh who had a relationship with his then 16 yr old gf, at his age 23, when consent age was 17 would be on it. This law doesn't take into account falsely convicted, lies used to get boys 18, or 19 to sleep with a girl who claims to be 17 but is only 15. Nor does it distinguish a person guilty of sleeping with their underage by a day gf in consensual sex not the same as a serial rapist. A person who although wrong views child porn, or shares it , knowingly or unknowingly, is not the same as a child rapist. People a name on a sex offender list and wrongly assume child molester/child rapist. It also does not allow for the punishment the offenders family will also suffer. A lower Tier individual or those with no contact victims should be allowed a chance to reintegrate, after rehabilitation.

• Ditch the political bandaid. More Often Than Not Its Someone CLOSE to you

Who is the offender. If its your brother or husband is it reported? Or is it a family skeleton in the closet?? Too many unreported cases. Also there appears to be no data on pedophilia being a certain and definitive CAUSE of MOLESTATION (not just a correlation). So many people registered, because of pictures?? We dont KNOW % of population who would look at the porn but have no interest in attacking children, because of child porn laws making it impossible for them to come forward. NOT ENOUGH DATA ALL AROUND. The registry was never meant to protect the public, it was meant as a LE tool. No more.

• No, Megan's Law should not be abolished.

I believe that Megan's law should not be abolished. The community has the right to know the whereabouts of sexual offenders. Also, sex offenders should have to register. It is the right of all parents to know where sexual offenders live. If this information is not disclosed, there could be more tragedies like the murder and sexual assault of this innocent seven year old girl for whom the law is named.

• For Megan Kanka..

When a seven year old child was sexually assaulted, rape, and smothered to death, and thrown into a toolbox. What did the man do? He threw her body in some near by bushes at a soccer field. I think a 18 year old and 17 year old relationship is totally different from murdering a seven year old. Megan Kanka was only seven years old, she just wanted to see a puppy.. A innocent little girl is gone. How would anyone feel it was their child? After, the fact that they had to lay to rest their daughter. How would people feel if their child just wanted to see a puppy across the street from their own house? Furthermore, having two other sex offenders living with them. Yes, they paid their debut to society, but remember what they did to those children, and/or women. How can people live with themselves? Think of the community, society, families, but also think of our children.

• Child Safety is Priority for our families, culture, and nation.

It is hard to say it is constitutional for someone to be forever branded as a sex offender when they may have truly have been rehabilitated. But, is it not a moral right to know if you going to move into a location with several sex offenders who may or may not be rehabilitated? I feel it is needed as children are the future. It is a fact, that children (boys and girls) who are raped, molested or beaten are most likely to perform those same acts when they are adults themselves. I think some updating to the law is needed, and that someone who pays for a sex from a prostitute is not going to be likely one to rape or molest someone. Since they are willing to pay for the service, and if the one providing the service is willing, then it is really not necessary to make them a Sex Offender. Nevada has proven that. Porn, Prostitution, etc. Is mainly illegal because of our puritan beliefs. Just like with children, the more you tell then they can not have something they want, the more they want it. Counties like Amsterdam have very low sexual violence or crimes. But until we get to that point, we need to so what we can for our future generations. I say keep it and update it.

• Lol no way

The community has the right to know about sexual offenders. If you committed a crime, you shouldn't be able to simply evade the fact that you committed it. That would open you co committing more. So I am against the repeal. Whomever says yes is a sex offender. The end.

• No, it should not.

However, this law should be amended. The definition of "Sex offender" is so broad that it is actually ridiculous. For instance, an 18 year old boy has sex with his girlfriend of four years a week before her 18th birthday. It is consensual. Her parents find out and press charges. That boy has just become a felon and will be, for the rest of his life, listed as a sex offender. Our laws need fine tuning. Megan's Law is a knee jerk reaction to a horrible incident that has spawned other horrible incidents. Rather, this should be altered to having a public list of violent and dangerous sex offenders such as pedophiles, teachers who prey on students and the like. It should NOT allow public picketing of pamphlet campaigns.

>