• New Orleans should be fully rebuilt and restored, because there are people who call it home, and anyone's home deserves to be restored.

When a city or a portion of the city gets destroyed, it just does not look right. It also attracts squatters to the area. New Orleans is considered home by many people, and these people deserve to have a nice city to call home, and not just destroyed buildings all around.

Posted by: eyeslikethat
  • New Orleans should be rebuilt because it is part of America, and disasters can strike anywhere.

Nowhere in the United States is immune to disaster. The midwest has tornados and snow. California has earthquakes. The northwest has blizzards. Moreover, much of New Orleans' damage from Katrina was due to either poorly designed levies or damage done to the wetlands by the oil and gas industry. Given all of these facts, rebuilding New Orleans is the only moral thing to do. The rest of America has benefitted from the cheaper gas that was directly tied to the destruction of Louisiana's wetlands, which were the natural barrier to hurricanes. The levies were built in a shoddy fashion; New Orleans can be safe if we invest in decent flood protection; Holland is much more vulnerable naturally, but totally safe! Most importantly, if we are going to call ourselves Americans, we must protect and preserve all of our nation, including New Orleans.

Posted by: P4cBran
  • Yes New Orleans should be rebuilt and restored.

New Orleans was home to a good many people. It was also a very popular tourist attraction. Those people that call New Orleans home most definitely want their homes back I am sure. I know I would had my home been destroyed. I believe maybe they should build a wall around the city maybe.

Posted by: lacedjeans
  • New Orleans should be rebuilt because it is a place for homes and people to reside but with more protection from flooding.

I think New Orleans should have a safer and more prominent landscape than what has been made for the city before. If they create better flood blockages, then the city won't get flooded and create a really bad situation for people to live their. It is a nice place to live and raise a family, but it should be kept above ground and not submersible from water.

Posted by: waffletime
  • I believe that it is important that New Orleans is rebuilt and restored.

When something awful happens in the United States it is suppose to be so that we come together, as a country, and find a way to fix the problem at hand. It has been far to long since Katrina hit New Orleans, and it is time that we finally come together, and give the people of this great place there home back. It is important to restore so that the great people of New Orleans can have there lives back after the terrible disaster that occurred, they deserve to know that they have not been forgotten.

Posted by: 5h4rdEgbe
  • I believe that New Orleans should be rebuilt and restored because we can't allow a disaster to stop us from living.

There are many areas of the country where natural disasters are common place but each time disaster strikes, people rebuild and go on. To leave New Orleans in shambles because it's a low-lying area would be like saying California should be left broken, after the next earthquake because it happens all the time, anyway. There is actually no where on the planet that is completely safe. One just has to pick up the pieces after a disaster, and start all over. If we didn't do that, we'd have very little land left to live on. The residents of New Orleans want their town rebuilt. Many have been born and grew up there and they love their city. I think that if the engineers would do their job properly, there would be less danger to the area, in the long run.

Posted by: KimbeBeat
  • New Orleans is an historical site and should be rebuilt.

New Orleans was a city long before the United States came into existence and therefore should be restored and rebuilt. Natural disasters occur everywhere and there hasn't been anywhere else the United States hasn't rebuilt- Florida for example. New Orleans is also the historical site for unique foods and music so it should be preserved as a world heritage site.

Posted by: Nik0Interior
  • New Orleans should be rebuilt and restored because the residents there deserve to have their city back.

The destruction of New Orleans was to much more than just the architecture there. What may be a building to an outsider could mean years of history, endless stories, and cultural meaning to the residents who live there. If my town was destroyed by flooding or any other disaster, I would want it rebuilt, and I'm sure the New Orleanians feel the same way.

Posted by: Z Frye
  • Sure New Orleans should be rebuilt.

I don't see why the city of New Orleans should not be rebuilt. I don't think that federal tax dollars should be used though. It seems to me that we have spent enough federal money on the city. Now we should let the free market take over and see what happens. Yes the city should have an opportunity to rebuild.

Posted by: BriaBlacken
  • New Orleans should be fully rebuilt--it's a part of our American culture and history.

In light of the recent flood of donations and aid to Haiti, I am left wondering why New Orleans has been nearly forgotten, years after Hurricane Katrina devastated parts of the city. Are the people of the Big Easy any less deserving of aid and assistance? If we can help people in a country just off the coast, we can also rebuild, re-house and repopulate the city of New Orleans--which has been a part of our history since the time our country began.

Posted by: ElwBoardin
  • Common Sense Must Prevail

New Orleans has been rebuilt at least a half dozen times in my life. The fact that it needs the levees to exist and that the regular hurricane and tropical storm events cannot be stopped says it all. The Billions (ok, Now Trillions) spend to build, Rebuild, And rebuild is wasteful. Plus the impact of rebuilding on our taxes, Our insurance, Etc. . . Would stop the rebuilding if the people that live there had to pay the entire bill. The sentiment and "soul" people claim is the reason to rebuild goes against all logic and common sense given that there is no real industry there. Look, Would people fight to rebuild Las Vegas if that disappeared every few years due to a natural event? Not on our tax dollar. . . Close the city down and stop wasting the billions of dollars on a losing battle. At the very least, No more federal funding and no insurance for those that want to live there.

• Would you build your home on the railroad tracks, Knowing a train comes through twice a day?

Why? Is it not evident that worsening storms will continue to destroy that city over, And over taking lives, And destroying properties? All the monies used to rebuild from Katrina gone plus much more. Would you live right next to a volcano that erupts every 10-20 years? Insanity. I'm from Louisiana and much loved hunting on it's land as a child, But that time has long passed. The world has changed, Weather patterns are getting worse and worse. My opinion; pack it up move out, And give it back to mother nature to do with what she will.

• It will only get worse

At some point, New Orleans will be beyond repairing. . . This is a given. When New York and Miami and Los Angeles are fighting the rising seas, There will not be money sufficient to save New Orleans. All of the suffering that Ida is causing in New Orleans right now is a result of our not taking the intelligent route and cutting our losses in the days after Katrina. Rather than using money to rebuild property in an area where property cannot thrive, That money could be used to relocate people to higher ground. This would provide a test case to use in the inevitable future events in which we are forced to relocate from other coastal areas.

• It will happen again

Because of global warming, Hurricanes will become more frequent, Violent, And last longer. If Hurricane Katrina destroyed the majority of the place, Then we will run out of money soon if we always pay for the damage. The damage will only get worse, And the government will have to spend more and more money, Raising taxes.

• Emotion and political expedience over reason and sense

All coastal cities face being under water in the coming century, So defending one like New Orleans that is already largely below sea level is simply irrational. The decision to invest billions of dollars to protect and rebuild what will ultimately prove to be unprotectable just shows us that politics is more about quick smiles than gripping the hard decisions. It's a cop out.

• Don't be stupid

It's a floodplain, Learn your geography and build somewhere else. If the next flood doesn't take it away then sea level rise surely will. Adding hurricanes to that mix and you've got money that can go into relocation instead of rebuilding. Taxpayers don't have that much money and it would be better spent on education or healthcare.

• Why rebuild something that inevitably is going to be underwater sooner or later?

New Orleans is consistently getting hit by storms; and eventually, New Orleans will not be able to spend there money on essentials. Also, With the sea levels rising and such; New Orleans will eventually be too underwater to save. This means the residents are in risk of injury or death. In my opinion, If things get too bad, Evacuate before anyone seriously gets hurt. Finally, You don't have to lose the historical evidence. You can take physical evidence of the city, Take photos, Belonging, Ect. So the history will definitely not be gone. This means they can bring there culture somewhere else, Instead of putting everything at risk.

• The cost isn't worth restoring the history.

New Orleans is an historic city stretching back far before any English arrived. The original founders had issues with flooding and such that they knew it to be a bad area to build, But as humans are creatures of habit, It is always difficult to abandon a location. The wisest realize that the cost in the end is never worth it. The cost, In this case, Is not just money, But most importantly in life. The cost is not worth it. All that is needed is enough of a storm surge from anything to destroy again so easily. The levee's are useless through a storm, Everyone knows that, They simply keep the water at bay through non damaging storms and daily life. The land will continue to sink as the river dissolves the land and the ocean eventually claims it. Removing the city to a new, Fresh, Above sea level location for the inhabitants and citizens is possible, Though the loss of history is what prevents many from wanting to take this path. I feel for those who live in the city and continue to do so. I know how hard it is to have to leave home knowing you will never return. I pray no storm will again head towards New Orleans and the Gulf Coast, But we all know one day the city will be destroyed again. Hopefully, Next time, We will learn and help those living there to find a safer place to live.
    I myself love anything historical. I feel it is so so so important to save and preserve history and anything significant for the future. Even controversial should be saved as one day we are apt to repeat ourselves. But in this case, The cost of trying to save our past is affecting our future. It is costing lives and money needed to restore and save other cities damaged by storms since Katrina. In the end, It isn't going to be saved. One day, It will be gone for good. Better to move it now or rebuild now than when it's too late.

• Yah it should m8

It should because how awesome would it be to live underwater. You would be swimming with the fishes and would end up adapting to become a mermaid. It's basically Atlantis all over again. If the people of Atlantis don't stand up for New Orleans to rebuild their underwater society it would be a major problem.

• New Orleans is sinking anyways

What is the point of rebuilding a city that is below sea level and just having it flood? Why build bigger levees when sea levels are constantly rising? Not to mention that those billions of dollars could be used to reform New Orleans's education system seeing as that part of NOLA is in desperate need of work and funding.