• No they should not

If the child does something he or she isn't allowed to, it's their own fault. The mistake would come back on them sooner or later and they will learn. Children don't learn by their parents lecturing them or telling them what to do or what not to do. They learn by making a mistake, suffering, and then coming to know better. So for example if the parent just says, "Don't touch the computer" the kid might still touch the computer and go online and do things they aren't supposed to, true. But then, they would loose studying time, and get a bad grade. Then they will learn what it feels like to get a bad grade and suffer the consequences.
    However, if the parent starts using parental control on that computer, the child would feel a) like they have no freedom and b) even more distracted. Children, especially teens, want to be free, and make their own choices. If the parent doesn't let a child play what they want, do what they want, they would just be distracted when they are doing something the parent wants and they don't want.

• Censorship for the youth is no different than child abuse

Just as lying to your children about sex makes teenage pregnancy more likely the same is true for any censorship for the young. Don't censor what they see, sit down and talk to them openly and honestly about the topics they see instead no matter how much you might be afraid of the conversation

• The kids will be exposed to it at some point.

Children don't stay children forever, which means that eventually, they will see what their parents have tried to censor, whether the parents know or not. Whether this be seeing that violent action movie, or their first porno, all parental controls do is breed rebellion in the child. The child will make a friend or two that isn't censored and will learn all about the stuff that the parent deemed wrong.

• No Never No

I definitely think that parents should have control over their kids' gaming use. 97% of teens in the US play video games for at least 1 hour every day. This needs to stop. Caused from addiction, They spend too much money and become careless about how much money they are actually spending.

• Yes they should.

I've struggled with depression for quite a while. My parents assumed it was because of my phone, So they limited my time on the internet and added a stupid filter using a shitty app. It kinda made my depression worse then it was before. I kinda became suicidal. That, And it banned me from Urban Dictionary. I've never felt as trapped as I did with this stupid thing. I use to be free. Not anymore. It kinda also ruined my relationship with my parents. I couldn't trust them anymore. And the app also censored normal websites that had nothing wrong with them. Besides that, It's wrong to blind your kids from anything that's wrong in the world. They will find out eventually. Hiding it from them doesn't do anything but postpone it.

• Parental controls are an invasion of your teenagers privacy.

My parents were like this to me, they would always check my phone even when I was a teenager. It caused DEPRESSION for me because I had no privacy whatsoever. I understand the whole blocking inappropriate websites and stuff, but when you can read your child's text messages and control who they call, that is going way overboard. I feel bad for the teens out there who have to deal with that. It will ruin your child-parent relationship. Not everyone online are pedos. Talk with your child or teen about Internet safety and never to meet up with someone you don't know. Let them know its ok to come to you if they are being cyber bullied, and that you won't get mad at them or take away their phone. If you do threaten to take away their phone, they will hide that sort of thing. I think its ok to use parental controls on kids under 12, but teenagers, they need privacy. I know what it did to me when I was a teen, it ruined my teen years. You only get those teenage years once, don't ruin it for them. Plus, for teenagers who are struggling with depression or anxiety, there are helplines online. Do not take away their phone because they may need help. And most of the time teens don't tell their parents if they are having issues because they DO NOT TRUST their parents, because the parents obviously do not trust their child or teen because they use parental controls. Just educate your teen on Internet safety and the dangers of online predators, but don't monitor their text messages or phone calls. That is going way too far. You need to trust your teen. They are becoming ADULTS. Thank you for reading.

• Because it's evil

Because parents can sometimes be assholes and set atrocious limits, lile banning pegi 16 games or giving the child just an hour of playing a day. Besides, children are gonna get mad at parents later and possibly even kill them. So please, don't be assholes and let children play instead of forcing them to do unnecessary homework!!!!!!

• No!!! No no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Kids need there privacy they have a life to and i don't think you want them looking at your phone you dirty scum! Leave them alone! There need privacy and they might learn a lesson so just think but they also want to be free so chill if something happens its there problem

• It's too strict

On apple phones, many innocent websites and apps are banned. For example: Troutlakecamps.Org is a website for a christen camp that has nothing harmful. It's blocked by apples parental controls. The youtube app. Banned. Google freaking chrome. Banned for no reason whatsoever. You can't clear you browser cookies either, making it easier for child predators to track your location. If you really cared for your kid, you would disable your parental controls.

• It makes your relationship with your child awkward

I installed an app by the name of qustodio and when I did that my son just stopped using his phone. He never replied to friends and family and would block calls, he started to lose interest in talking with me at all. Parental controls can separate your child-parent relationship, especially ones that monitor texts and posts, it can really break trust

• Parents Decide What's Best for Their Kids

Parental controls shouldn't be banned from any electronic devices because parents have ultimate control over their children's education and perception of the world. Parental controls are a convenience for adults while they are away from the house or can't monitor their children all of the time. Parental controls should always be a part of any new family/entertainment technology that is released.

• Why is this even debated?

Parental controls are exactly what they sound like. Limits on something(s) a PARENT sets. Parental controls should not be banned. By bringing psychology into play here, I can stand firm on the stance that they should not be banned. Each and every parent has their own rules and characteristics they feel their children should abide by and obtain. Any parent that has set a limit or rule on, is doing it in the interest of their kid's safety or future. A person's mind is not fully developed until they reach 25 years of age. TWENTY-FIVE. This fact alone proves that a child does NOT know how a particular circumstance will hurt or harm them and they need a parental figure setting limits or they will never learn.

• No Censorship is Not Good Censorship

We all know it is annoying, but I know at the back of our minds, we know it does its job to block what children should not see sometimes. We all know children can find a way around it, but that does not mean we should abolish the censorship itself.

• No Never No

• No Never No

• No Never No

• No Never No

• No Never No

• No Never No

• No Never No

LuckyLemon says2013-12-06T15:29:59.700
I do not know what the Happy Meal has to do with it; I can assume action figures are too "obscene" nowadays?
Quan says2013-12-06T19:41:04.597
I do not agree that sheltering children is a good way to raise them. It's much better to teach them than to just cover their eyes. In fact, I blame many of the problems with the younger generations on rampant overprotective "parenting." But utlimately it's up to the parents how they raise their own children, and the government should not be involved.