Should parents be able to genetically design their child?

Asked by: Bruinshockeyfan
  • Within limits, yes.

If you do a genetic test and discover the baby has ... Cystic fibrosis or some other genetic disease, and we have the ability to correct it, then this MUST be allowed. That itself opens the door to quality of life issues, like asthma for example, if we can genetically strengthen a persons immune response or strength of lung or modify lung capacity, then why would we NOT do this?

Gene therapy is not, in and of itself, evil, but we do not to develop ethical guidelines and criminal penalties for the abuse of this process. Eugenics and other forms of gene manipulation should be banned. WADA has already taken steps to identify and eliminate gene 'doping' before it enters sports. And yet in academics and business, gene doping for greater intellect, etc. is a real potential problem.

Whether we like it or not, its here, and we need a framework for dealing with it. Banning it will accomplish nothing, and may do more harm than good. Doing nothing and precluding sound moral limits to the process, itself risks unethical results from this process. This not a question of should, but how ... And the question is one of stewardship.

Is it wrong to prevent a parent from changing a child's hair color? Who cares right? Is it wrong to correct a child sub-optmal intelligence? Its these questions that must drive the framework.

• Listen, I know some of you may think it's immoral, but think about it.

Imagine what you'd be doing for that kid. You have no idea what they're going to look like. You might just end up with a seriously deformed child, who will have an awful life. If there was a way to make that not happen, and give your child a probably pretty awesome life by designing what they'll look like... Why the hell wouldn't you do it?

(Oh, and before people say "it's playing god"... Yeah if there is a god, and he decides that people with serious deformities like having only one arm is the best way of going about things, maybe it's time we had a say in things.)

• Only when it's proven safe and effective; Other ways should be investigated too

Genes do not always directly cause what they correlate with. Hence changing the environment, changing nutrition, giving the child a pill, or any other number of treatments might be more preferable. Changing the gene could actually be throwing the baby out with the bathwater. If we really know what we're doing then I'm fine with it, but my concern is that people and even the FDA might rush into this.

• Who would want a kid that isn't even your own?

I say no to this because you should let nature play its part in your family and not some weird electronic thing. Every parent loves their kid so who would want a robot that is nothing like you? ! I end my case supporting no. Anyone who wants this should be ashamed.

• If it makes the child's future brighter. . .

I know how hard life is for children with learning and functional disabilities. How hard it is for them to learn among normal students, To fit in. So if there is a problem revealed during genetic scanning, I believe that this line can be crossed. If genetic engineering could help a child with life-threatening or functional disabilities be normal and have a chance to learn at the same level as normal then why not? However, If genetic engineering means engineering your child to look a certain way or heightening their intelligence, I believe this is unnatural and is a line that shouldn't be crossed. You are giving them a potential advantage and you're defying nature. It is natural for your child to look like you and your partner but if you are "editing" their genetics, You are destroying that.

• Why wouldn't you want your child to have a good life?

Why wouldn't you want your child to have a nice life, look nice and be a healthy child, longer lifespan and more capable intellectually.

They would have a better life and be able to do many things. Plus it is still your genes that they use, just the best of your genes as said in Gattaca.

• It’s their baby

It’s their baby, they should be able to know what looks like. If the baby had a syndrome that was deadly or would make the child suffer, but you want the child to live. You would want to change them. The baby doesn’t care for all he or she knows they are normal, and are happy that their smarter, stronger, taller, shorter, ect. They have a lower risk at disease and possibly more attractive.

• Yes, with precaution

Many people here who oppose genetically designing their children have said that they think that we should let 'nature take its course'. But we have already been selectively breeding and therefore genetically modifying plants and livestock for many thousands of years. It's surprising that no one has brought up this argument on this page yet.

Genetic modification is in its infancy, current methods can be refined and changed so that it is almost impossible for erogenous cuts (in the genome) to be made. I think that the main reason 70% of people have said no to genetic modification is our fear for change, especially with the belief that all children are made perfect. Perfect is not objective, genetic modification won't destroy genetic diversity, genetic modification won't turn our children into science experiments.

(Of course, all of your fears are mostly with good reason. I argue for the middle ground. This should be allowed, but with strict laws regulating its use.)

• I vote yes

You might say you want to have a kid that you love and you should Love them for who there are but u could have a kick ass kid, he could be smart, funny,good looking, strong,asthletic, tall, short you choose what you want them to have in life and whats easy for you.

• I vote yes

• Why would you want to take your genes out of YOUR child.....

I think it is stupid to change YOUR child. Even if your not very religious, I still think that God made your child that way for a reason. I mean unless its the parents fault, then maybe. I also think that something could go wrong and really damage your child.

• Personality vs Perfection

We're human. We cannot be perfect, lets get that out of the way. Next, designing your children, you want them to be themselves. So it is hypocritical to tell them to be themselves when you made them not themselves. This is our life that is being created, not the parents. Even before we are born, we have a right to be ourselves.

• Only the rich could get them

They would be way too expensive for the middle class and lower class people to afford. Only the rich could create a “perfect human.” That would give the upper class people even more power then they already had and the children would be just as bad. A A A A.

• Seriously? What sort of topic is this?

We do not know how to genetically engineer a child safely. Do you want our world turning into mutated freaks? That’s what the series Maximum Ride is all about. I can’t believe anyone who wants this to happen. Geez whoever made this topic is stupid. All these debate topics are stupid.

• This is stupid

THIS IS STUPID. YOU CAN NOT MAKE SUPER MAN. I say no because why cant nature just take its course. God made us with our own design and our own personality. What if something goes wrong and the baby gets a genetical disease or dies. It is stupid to know that parents would actually risk killing the baby to be perfect.

• Should not be tolerated

Things can go wrong during any process i wouldn't risk it. You can go ahead and try let see if the child doesn't end up like something off of E.T. People need to understand leave natural stuff online . Manipulate a baby gene can cause side affects. It like mutating a plant with artificial drugs.

• No they shouldn't

First off, this is going to upset people due to morals and beliefs. Scientifically, it will decrease the genetic variation in the human gene pool, creating far less diversity. In society, we have smart, athletic, tall, skinny, short, and strong people. That allows people to compete and be different from everyone else. If people got to choose the traits of their child, that wouldn't happen. The only exception to this should be correcting a life threatening or severe genetic disease.

• No they can't and shouldn't

Definitely not, we should not let parents change their children into basically robots, it could also be very dangerous as we are literally letting technology taking over our innocent children, also everyone would be the same as parents would want their children to be perfect, and this will make every children to be the same as they would all be good at everything.

• This is stupid

• This is stupid

THIS IS STUPID. YOU CAN NOT MAKE SUPER MAN. I say no because why cant nature just take its course. God made us with our own design and our own personality. What if something goes wrong like the baby gets a genetical disease or the baby dies. It is stupid that a parent might end up killing the baby just to be perfect.

>