Should parents be allowed to take away things that you have bought?

Asked by: fasttrack
  • This topic again?

It seems like this question came up not that long ago. The answer remains and unqualified “yes.” Your parents (if you are under 18) pay for everything important. They pay for your food, shelter, health care, and just about everything else. The only reason you have “bought” anything is that they cover all of your expenses. When you take responsibility for all of your expenses then can you say that you have bought something yourself and no one has the right to take it from you. Until that time someone else is paying your way and they have the right take away any privilege even if you “bought it yourself.”

• They Absolutely Should

Unless the parents have no legitimate reason to take it away, then they have every right to confiscate any of their child's items, no matter if the child bought it with their own money. There have been many occasions where a child has bought an item without their parents' consent, items that the parents believe will have a negative effect on the child. This includes, but is not limited to: liquor, cigars & cigarettes, lighters, and cutlery of any kind. Just because you bought it with your money, that means your parents can't save you from committing terrible activities and/or creating harmful habits? Ludicrous! You shouldn't have bought it in the first place!

• Legally... They have rights

Legally you are under your parents watch you are 19. (depending on country) and legally they have rights to take away what ever you bought or using. And you have no rights to buy anything that you want to buy without your parents concept, after all if you are young all the money comes from them and they have right to you if you are under 19. Sorry for my spelling

• If u bought it

If you buy it or you earn it with a job that you work hard for than, they should not be aloud to take that away, or and of your money. Whoever thinks otherwise has forgotten what it's like to be underage and how you could ruin your kids life by taking advantage of their power.

• Temporarily is right

I agree with Musicrafter. As long as the item/priveledge is eventually returned to the minor child upon better behavior or whatever propted the punishment, I see nothing wrong with this. The only reason the minor child had the money to purchase the item is because their parents pay for everything else.

• As a Minor, yes

Minors (under 18) cannot legally own property in the overwhelming majority of situations. Therefore, the parents are not taking things from their children, but denying them permission to use the parents' things. It is perfectly acceptable for parents to take away items from their children as they own the things being taken.

• Depends on what you mean

No they can't take it away away, as in sell it or something. But they can take it away temporarily (or deny access to it temporarily) for like a punishment. Until you move out or are 18 they can pretty much do whatever they want (as long as it is lawful).

• In your possession

Technically if you have bought it then it is yours. Parents have no right to take away something that is Legally yours since you bought it with your money. Just because they are older than you and have control over you doesn't mean that they get to control all of the stuff you have too.

• Its yours they can't take it

When you buy something with your own money that your earned by working then your parents have no right to take it away. People do not take away things from your parents. Just because they are your parents dose not mean they can take away your personal possessions. Many teenagers pay for their own phones and cars after they get a job parents should not take over their objects. I understand if it was bought by your parents then they can take it away but not if your bought it.

• I'm 17 I buy my OWN

I'm 17 years old and I buy my own things I have a job I pay my own bills and I also pay my sisters my mom does not have the right to take my things she does not pay for my fines and fees at school and I don't ask for money me and my mother really don't get along but as a as a young adult I still respect my mother you feel what I'm saying but I really think that she does not have the right to take away my things that I have purchased with my own money the money that I go to work for

• No they shouldn't

I live with my mom but I always stay with my dad on the weekend I bought a laptop a frw weeks ago my mom took it away and won't give them back ive done everything she asked but she's a bitch im with my dad now and her punishment should only be legible for her house

• No they shouldn't be able to take your belongings

If You bought it, with your money, it's yours. They are technically stealing aren't they? I mean its like saying " stealing is only a crime when it is other peoples stuff but not ur kids. "
    Anyhoo i don't think its ok. It's your belongings and they can't take it

• No, They shouldn't.

I don't think they should be able to because it gives the children more motivation to use it when their parent(s) are not looking. Some children also will go over to a friends house to do what their parent(s) told them they are not allowed to do. Especially if it's a phone, Because then they miss out on a lot.

• No it is unacceptable

Parents need to understand what they are teaching their kids. Sometimes a parent can get their rules mixed up in their own logic. Like if a parent says clean up after yourself but your stuck cleaning up after someone else because its the kids chores, Which goes against the parents teachings. My personal experiences have shown that when a parent takes away something that I have bought because I have failed to complete one of my chores, It would usually leave me thinking, How come she's able to do this without consideration. My mom took something I cared about and bought with my own money for 6months without me even being able to reason with her. Parents need to know when enough us enough, Or soon it could cause depression or worse in your childs mood. Luckily for me I had things to keep my mind off of my "stolen" object.

• As long as you are 18 and over and paid for it.

To a certain degree, a parent can take away an under 18-year-old own bought belonging if the parent backs it up with a reasonable reason and they explain to their underaged child the negative impact the item has done to them. But if the parents offspring is 18 and older, then their offspring has the right just like every other adult, to keep what they have bought, but if their adult child bought something that could be troublesome for their offspring, then parents can give advice to the adult child on what's best to do.

• No, it would be stealing.

Whatever you buy with the money that YOU have earned is legally considered yours. If your parents take it from you without your consent, it is stealing. Even if it is something that your parents didn't want you to buy, they still legally can't take it from you. The same goes for what you spend your money on. It is your money, and they can't control what you buy with your own money.

• Parents can't take children's stuff as for the right to property

Children are not the property so if children buys something that is not bad, it is fully in the rights of the child which is not allowed to be taken away by the parent. The only time when parents are allowed to take property is for the child's safety. Parents can confiscate some money if they think children are using it in a bad way, but they are not allowed to spend it and they are forced to give all the money they have taken back to the child when the child is 18

>