Should people be allowed to separate from the military if they find the lifestyle too difficult?

Asked by: Leaning
  • It can become enough of a reason.

Sometimes there are people in the military who suffer frequently from suicidal ideation, panic attacks, or depression and cease to be able to function as well as one would expect of them. They can prove a danger to themselves or to their fellow military. It would have been better if they had not joined, but if they prove incapable of improving then allowing them to separate can be the best course of action for them and the military.

• Really? I mean really?

I don’t think I can explain this very well, but the short of it is, you should have not joined or at the very least washed out in boot camp.
    At this point, you need to suck it up and finish what you started. Overall that is the main issue with a lot of people, they can’t play the hand they are dealt because they don’t want too. That is just not a good enough reason.

Also, when you sign up, you give up your rights.

• Survival Breeds Resiliency

No, because it should be understood at the beginning that this may be the hardest thing you ever do. The mentality of the new recruit should be one of determination and survival. "I will survive boot camp. I will survive extended training. I will survive deployment. I will survive my terms of service." If you don't have this mindset then you're going to fail. If you hate the lifestyle at first, you can still thrive by coming to terms mentally with YOUR choice. The discipline, experience, camaraderie, skills, g.I. Bill, etc, should make the time worth it if you choose to stay positive. Handling the lifestyle shouldn't be an option, there is no choice after signing those papers and that realization is what breeds battle ready men and women everyday. A cop out clause would cost everyone in wasted time, effort, tax dollars and more.

>