Attention: Debate.org is closing and the website will be shut down on June 5, 2022. New Topics can no longer be posted and Sign Up has been disabled. Existing Topics will still function as usual until the website is taken offline. Members can download their content by using the Download Data button in My Account.
  • Yes, I think people with mental illnesses should be punished less for acts of aggression.

Overall I believe that if a person can prove that a mental illness caused a outburst of aggression then that should be factored in when determining an appropriate punishment, I don't believe we should punish someone for an act that they did not deliberately chose to make, I believe we should be more compassionate when dealing with mental illnesses.

• No They Should Not

I personally do not think mental illness should be a case for lower or no sentences based on a crime. If the person committed the crime it should matter if they have a mental illness. Prisons provide medical care to a certain degree and if they did something that is deserving of a sentence, then they should clearly go to prison.

• No, people with mental illnesses should be punished the same.

I do not believe that people with mental illnesses should be punished less for acts of aggression than other people. I do not see mental illness as an excuse for somebody to be able to commit a crime. I think that everybody should be punished the same regardless of the mental state.

• No, mental illness needs to addressed more.

No, I don't think a person with mental illnesses should be less punished for acts of aggression. Just because a person have a mental illness doesn't mean that person is aggressive. A person with a mental illness could have just as much thought about what they are doing then a person who doesn't.

• Not UNLESS it forced them to be aggressive

So for instance psychosis causing aggression through voices in one's head I would punish less severely. In fact then I'd send him to the insane asylum instead.

However, say someone is bipolar and they are having a bad day. They can't help how they feel but that doesn't mean they can't help committing a crime. Instead of punching someone they could've recognized they were in one of their episodes and went and pounded a pillow or called a therapist to talk to. Or they could at least scream and shout obscenities instead of punching someone. So then I could see a lighter sentence for disturbing the peace due to shouting obscenities in a public place if the person was redirecting their feelings of rage instead of getting physically violent. But that's about it.