Should physical education be compulsory in schools?

• Yes, but it should be fun.

The mind is as important as the body when it comes to education so physical education should be required for all who can participate. However, it should stress that physical activity is fun and include a lot of variety so that students can choose solo exercise or team sports for their phsyical education.

• Physical education should be compulsory in schools.

It is important for kids to get physical education in school and it should be compulsory. If kids sit in a classroom all day without exercising, they run the risk of obesity and other illnesses. Teachers should make sure that kids can get enough evercise every day to make them healthy.

Physical education should be compulsory in schools. It is important that we require the students to take physical education because it is usually the only exercise that most of students get is at school. Most of the students look forward to physical education class because it gets them away from the books for awhile.

• Yes, students need to move.

Yes, physical education should be compulsory in schools, because students do not get enough exercise at home. Students who get a lot of exercise have fewer problems with ADD and ADHD. With video games to distract children at home, they need the school to make sure that they get more exercise.

• I totally agree

We're learning about debating in school and i totally agree that IGCSE PE is important not only for mental health but also to increase physical fitness. Over 25% of England is obese and roughly 50% of America is, If we have IGCSE PE in schools and make it compulsory, The health of multiple students will increase.

• Yes it should

It should be compulsory because it helps improve mental health and the chances are if you're not mentally healthy then you're not physically healthy. At-least half an hour of being in the sunlight gives you about 1000 to 2000 IU rays of vitamin D experts believe that this is very healthy for your skin and you should do this three times a week if you have fair shin

• Yes, Yes, Yes! It’s a no brainer

We are in the midst of a childhood obesity epidemic so physical education is more important than ever. Team games are also an excellent way of getting children to work together which is a skill that they will need in the workplace. Playing sport is vital for physical and mental wellbeing and is so important for forming lifelong friendships. I would like to see an hour of every school day devoted to Physical Education and a massive increase in funding for PE teachers and equipment. PE is equally as important as learning Maths or English and has been undervalued for far too long. Education Authorites must stop selling off school playing fields as well

• I think we should make P.E compulsory

1. Making Physical Education mandatory gives students health benefits!
    According to my research results, the NASPE have said that elementary students has to receive P.E at least 150 min/weekly.
    However, the majority doesn’t, and that’s why many students are fat. Plus, you can be fat too!
    That’s why we need it mandatory.
    According to the Unesco study, 3.2 million people die annually because of inactivity. This means that approximately, 3.2 million people die due to lack of exercise. If P.E becomes mandatory, students will exercise regularly, so that we don’t have to worry about inactivity problems. In addition, there are many research results that exercise strengthens our bones, clears out bad cholesterols, and decreases the risk of high blood pressure.
    In conclusion, making P.E mandatory gives students health benefits.

2. Making Physical Education mandatory gives psychological benefits.
    During P.E class, students play games like soccer, baseball or dodgeball. Since these games are actually teamplay games, students can trust and depend on each other. They can also help others or accept help from others, because they work together towards a common goal.
    Since students cooperate each other towards a common goal, they can gain self- confidence. Plus, students can reduce the risk of suffering from depression up to 4 years according to my research result. Moreover, P.E can make students happier and have better relationships with each other by cooperating.
    I strongly believe that P.E should be mandatory.

• Physical Education is an important part of holistic schooling.

Physical Education is an important part of holistic schooling. PE is an aspect of school being about more than just book learning – it is about educating the whole person, a holistic education that betters us in an all-round sense, rather than a merely academic experience. Some aspects of physical education are vital for future wellbeing, e.g. being able to swim, learning to lift heavy weights safely.\
    Arguments about cost seem petty when compared to this aim – and also misguided, since PE departments would continue to exist to serve those that chose to study PE voluntarily, even if the subject were no longer to be compulsory. Arguments about the size of classes may well be correct, but these suggest better funding for PE rather than abandonment of the commitment to public health

• For overall development

Physical education is an integral part of general education which promotes harmonious growth and development . Through vigorous muscular activities a person modifies his behaviour . A person becomes physically,mentally socially and emotionally adjusted within the society . Through physical activities a person improves and strengthens his body which is essential for leading a fruitful life.

• No need for understanding

Children in schools shouldn't have to learn about physical education; it isn't compulsory outside of school, so why should it be compulsory inside of school? There are many kids who are not athletically inclined and shouldn't be forced into things they don't want to do. And if they aren't capable in sports, how are they supposed to deal with those other people who are capable? It'll be difficult for them. I think it shouldn't be compulsory.

• Teachers are rather forceful

Many teachers are exceptionally forceful when it comes to physical education, especially sport, and it can get to the point where it may cause unnecessary injury. Some teachers force children to participate past their limits or whilst in pain instead of letting them recuperate like they should. Whatever happened to duty of care or compassion?

• Teachers are rather forceful

• Mental health is more important!

I am a student who still has to take part in pe. It has gotten to the point where I have picked my options and pe was not one of them. However, I still have to take part in the lesson, just not for gcse. In my opinion, pe should not be something all students are forced to do. I have anxiety and panic attacks just about every single time I have pe and in my opinion, my mental health is more important than the 'health benefits' from pe. This is considering the fact the playing a game of rounders once a week is hardly going make me become obese. I am not overweight and have no problem with exercise itself, but being in a general pe lesson, with those who like sport and are good at it, and those who aren't, is very uncomfortable. Even if pe was going to benefit my health, it wouldn't anyway as I can almost never finish a lesson without walking out having an anxiety attack, so I'm not getting any benefits from it anyway. Therefore, considering that I, and I'm sure many others are gaining nothing physically from pe lessons, and many are struggling with mental health problems and feeling uncomfortable during pe lessons, I would say that pe should always be optional and those who do not want to do it should be able to focus on their education instead!

Posted by: LHP
  • It Doesn't Make an Impact

For all those parents out there, PE will not and has not changed my lifestyle habits. PE is a glorified time to play games and doesn't even really exercise the body. As a student, PE is a time for the gym teacher to yell at you while you run. It isn't fun, it won't make your kid skinny, and its especially gross having to finish the school day sweaty.

• Physical education should not be compulsorary

It should not be compulsory because 1. People should have the right to choose, 2. Some people are not sporty 3. Some people have other priorities like math, science and English which are the more important subjects, and the amount of injuries related to physical education is a lot and some people dont want to get hurt. In New Zealand a boy died when playing rugby because he broke his neck.
    So dont be so selfish, you insensitive people

• Should be left to schools to decide.

I do not believe that the government should mandate a mandatory physical education class. This should be left to each individual school whether it deems such a class as important. If I were a school administrator I believe that I would rather see a student in another "real" class rather than a class that most will not take seriously.

>