Should pocket knives be allowed in school?

Asked by: TWD430
  • Yes they should be

Kids used to bring Pocket Knifes to show and tell maybe 20 years ago! And now if a student even talks about a weapon they're automatically expelled. A pocketknife is a handy tool and any student should be able to have one as long as they are right in the head and at least in 6th Grade.

• Knifes aren't inherently bad.

Pocket knives, especially the one shown in the picture, are tools. Not only are the knives a tool, but in the specific one shown, the knife can be accompanied by a variety of useful things like corkscrews, screwdrivers, and other tools to aid you in life. I've been carrying a Swiss Army Knife to classes as an attachment to my keys and the security officers haven't said anything about it, nor has anything negative come of it.

Just because it can hurt you doesn't make it a bad thing.

• Yes because of all the school shootings

I think that you should be able to bring a small pocket knive to school because me personally my parents said not to take my phone to school but I don’t because I feel more safe and now I am getting to the point we’re I want to bring my pocket knive to school and I want to know if you can but I don’t think you can and I am against the even if you take it to school you shouldn’t even get in trouble because I would only use it in case of an emergency same thing with my phone I walk around with it in my pocket and nobody knows and I will only use it if I have to and they say they will take it away if they even see a phone and my parents say if they do let me take my phone then they would want me to carry it so the school doesn’t have a say in it and they can’t take it away so I hope I stated my point in this thank and I hope this changes

• Extremely Useful Tools

I am currently a student in high school in a few engineering programs and I definitely have run into situations where I needed a knife, Cutting string, Tape, Wood, Pencils, Etc. You can say that a scissor could suffice, But in my experience, A knife is a more effective tool. In my state, A "common pocket knife" is not considered a weapon with the blade usually being under 4" long. Sure kids would cut themselves, Be idiots with them, Some might even stab someone, Else, But I think this would be an uncommon occurrence, Perhaps right after a change it could be really bad, But it should go down if you were to compare to other, Similar trends. But a student cutting themselves would be an important learning experience for students, And to be sure, Schools could require a quick knife safety course/liability waiver, Etc. As for students not being responsible and losing it, Or someone stealing them, That could happen with anything and is not a big issue anyway because most students would not want to spend more money replacing a knife; therefore, They would keep a close eye on their knives. When someone argues that students shouldn't be able to carry knives because "why would they need them, What possible use could you have for a knife? " they are not understanding that kids can be very creative and giving them any means necessary to be creative is exactly what should be the goal of a school system. I see on the thread people claiming that kids would cut towards themselves and whatnot but guess what, Cutting towards yourself is a perfectly fine way to use a knife! I do it all the time for my whittling, Which, By the way, Is a relaxing pastime which if I could do at school to destress in the morning, After school, During class, Or before a test, I would.

• Pocket Knives Should Be Allowed

Yes, I get it they are sharp. I will give the schools that. But what if you are in a school shooter situation, And say your teacher thinks he or she has locked the door but he or she has not locked the door to the classroom, And the shooter gets in. If the shooter gets in the room, And they have dropped their gun and they only have a knife left, And they come for you, You have to have something to defend yourself with, If you have a knife they are more likely to back off of you. But if you do not have a knife, They are more likely to come for you. So therefore knives are helpful, And students should be allowed to carry them.

• Yes they are a great self defense tool

They help. They just are another form of self defense. They help a person if say they are in a dangerous situation. Say you have a school shooter, And they dropped their gun and they had a knife and started walking towards you, If you have no knife, You have no way to defend yourself. But if you have a knife with a really sharp blade, You have a better chance of survival than if you do not have a knife. Sure scissors are sharp, But knives are sharper, Therefore we should be allowed to carry pocket knives in school

• Common pocket knifes should be allowed at public schools

Common pocket knifes are useful objects that very kid should be trained how to use. Knifes are multifunctional and useful in everyday life, From opening packages to cutting and preparing food. Pocket knifes of 3. 5 inch or shorter and non- tactical knifes should be allowed at schools that’s my opinion f**k yeah America marine corp oorah

• Knives are tools

Knives are tools not weapon it could replace cizers asking as the student knife is less than2. 5" it can't kill anywhere a pen can't also a sizer is two knives connected if a kid unscrewed the 2 knives or parts of the sizer it will become a knife anything can be a "weapon" but mostly it going to be a tool

• Utility not weapon

A knife is a tool not a weapon it could be used as a weapon but so could attend a pain could actually be far more dangerous than a knife because of its super fine tip and sometimes metal construction knives in schools compete in the immensely useful tool to cut paper open up snacks and it would open up a world of opportunities

• It gives a sense of responsibility

I myself am a fourteen year old knife collector and I really enjoy collecting knives. I acknowledge that there are many nasty people out there but there are also many good people out there. Do not disallow knives. Its the same as banning cars because some stupid people drink drive. It is not fair on the well behaved majority

• Kids are stupid.

Kids these days are stupid. With cartoon violence there is a lack of consequence and kids don't fully understand that. Most kids don't even fully understand death and none of them have mused over mortality (their own or that of others).
    While a penknife is an excellent tool in the right hands, in the wrong hands it's a murder weapon. While I imagine some parents trust their kids with the pen-knife, it's foolish to trust every child in their school.
    Hypothetically: If your child can be trusted with a pen-knife and you let them go to school with it. If another child steals it and uses it on their classmates then YOU supplied that child with a weapon and are responsible for wounding or even killing another child.
    In my mind it is just easier to keep those things at home and use them there as the amazing tool it can be. They have no need for it in school.

• There is no reason...

Nothing happens in school that would deem it absolutely necessary. Though some may argue that the pocketknives have useful tools, none of the tools are necessary at school? Does a child really need a bottle opener at school? Besides, kids should learn how to use words and not weapons. So whats the point of pocketknives?

• No. Absolutely not.

As a victim of fairly severe bullying myself, I can say truthfully that the addition of a pocket knife into the already violent atmosphere would surely end badly. I'm sure that if any of the aforementioned bullies had had a pocket knife at hand they would have used it against me.

• No! Are you crazy?

What use would you have for a pocket knife in school? Things would escalate super fast and the results would not be pretty. Children don't understand the consequences of their actions. Violence is everywhere in the media these days, and children think it is ok to hurt someone without realizing how serious things can be. Mindless shooting and killing is everywhere in video games, in reality everything is much different!

• Are you kidding ?

What a knife is going to do any good to student ?. It's only going to harm someone and beside a little quarrel will turn into some serious fight. It's a stage where student must learn to set there little quarrel with calmness and by friendship which will help in long run. Having knife with them, they are going to pull at once and the things may end up serious.

• This will only have a bad outcome.

I live in southern Kentucky, where many boys bring their knives and their smokeless tobacco to school. I have actually been cut by a boy with a pocket knife in school before and I have the scar to show for it. The boy got in no trouble, although I could have gotten a serious infection or possibly something more severe. Pocket knives at school do lead to bad situations, I have experienced this first hand. I understand that there are boys who carry a pocket knife like it is second nature, but school is not a place for this.

• Are you insane?

Why do they need a pocket knife at school? Someones gonna be sharpening their pencil with a huge blade and cut towards themselves. Someones gonna stab another person. Some kids these days are just insane. Well at least some people don't know how to open pocket knifes. Theres no use for pocket knifes at school anyway.

• The utility of knives doesn't out weight the cons of any kid being allowed to have a knife.

Although I find myself in many situations when a knife would be useful in school, And I know I can handle a knife properly and with care, I can not say the same for all of the students that surround me at school. It only takes one idiot and one bad situation for this to end badly. Overall, It would make some of my situations at school easier but I believe that this pro doesn't outweigh the cons of anyone being able to have a knife at school.

• Most of our current society are not mature enough to handle knives amd other such tools or weapons.

Give a lil kid a knife fifty years ago no one cares because then they could use that knife as a tool amd were responsible enough to take care of it amd not stab there brother's eye out by mistake. They would use it correctly or not at all. And they used common sense. Knives aren't bad and they can be useful but our modern world is not mature enough to use such items properly. And before you think I'm some worrisome mother doubting at home worrying about her lil guy off at a dangerous school full of criminals i will tell you strait I'm fourteen and in high school. And if i think most people aren't mature enough then there's someth8ng up if one of the group argueing for knives in schools is saying that WE aren't ready then you know we aren't. Besides what would you use a knife at school for any how? If there was a use for them thats one thing but as is there's no reason for them any how.

• Bad for many reasons

They can harm others and be used in the wrong way. One is that i knew a kid who had recently split up with his girl friend and another guy said that she was a whore. So he hunted him down a pulled his knife out while in school and thretend to cot him