• Yes it very well should be.

I think that it should be taught as we need to keep our history going and poetry was a big part of it. Also its shows us how our language has evolved. Now in the modern day using poetry can help people express themselves through a timing and a rythym. Some subjects can be difficult to explain or talk about so writing it in a different format can be understood easier. Without being taught a lot more people in schools will not be able to express themselves which can lead to medical problems including depression and anxiety

• Nope - it's completely useless

Analyzing poetry is completely and utterly useless. It's a waste of time with no real world applications. I'm an adult student and I cannot believe I have to analyze poetry to get English 30. I will never, ever, need or use it. It has no place in school other than as a form of appreciation - but having to break it down and analyze it? Ridiculous and stupid.

• Heck yea bud

There is almost no other way to see real examples of figurative language. Another reason is there are not many other ways for teens to express their feelings in high school years. Poetry relieves the tension that high school brings. Poetry is needed for children at a vulnerable age in their teen years.

• Poetry discusses key issues within society

Poetry goes hand in hand with politics, it dicuss es key issues such as sectarianism, racism, current affairs as well as problems in the system. For example "In Westminster Abbey" by John Betjeman he ridicules the upper class of London during the second World war showing just how pretentious they really were.

• Poetry utilizes the personal background of each student to create the aspect we take on in life.

Students are often told that we need to pay attention and follow directions, and as a 13 year old I can say that get's pretty boring pretty fast. But in poetry we can express ourselves without being hounded by our guidance counselors. I have workplace anxiety, which means I can get very stressed out very very fast if I am in the wrong situation, when someone is hounding me about my emotions I can't function very well, and poetry gives me the chance to show that without that happening. Poetry not only does that for me but a lot of other students, and it gives us a chance to see what we can do with who we are and what situations we are placed in. Now I don't know anyone who can write poetry without reading it first, and there are so many ways to teach it. Classical poetry, authors like Poe and Shakespeare. African American poetry, and trench poetry all are important.

• Yes It should

I love poetry and it is not in my school curriculum, which makes me sad. I wish it would be in my community. But I love my Language Arts teacher because he teaches it anyways. But next year I might not get any knowledge of poetry. I love poetry!! Poetry Should be taught in schools

• Yes it should

Poetry is very important. Poetry is a literature that uses the sounds; rhythms and meaning of the words o describe the world in striking and imaginative ways. Poetry supports literacy, builds community and emotional literacy, builds community and poetry also foster emotional suppleness. Poetry helps every one and builds communities. Poetry also helps babies they get older. Poetry opens venues for speaking and listening. Poetry builds resilience in kids and adults.
    Poetry should be taught in schools for many reasons. In school, kids feel overwhelmed and unable to describe their emotions or there feelings

• Poetry opens up opportunities for kids!

I don't know about you but kids all have different opinions about poetry. Some people hate it and some people love it! If you don't teach kids poetry in school then maybe they just had a job opportunity fly past (see the poetry I used in there)! I hope you understand. It's just this happened to me in highschool

• Yasss it opens your mind up

Poetry is kinda fun and it's sooo deep. It gives you a glimpse into other people's minds and teaches you about the world around you in a whole new way. It can give you insight that probably evaded you when reading from a textbook or some other source. It fosters social and emotional learning, and can strengthen and deepen your understanding of the metaphorical language:)

• Absolutely fo shizzle

So many of us listen to music and poetry is just like music. We can find poetry that speaks to us and it will allow us to express ourselves. It allows us to learn about other cultures as well. I think it also gave me a much better understanding of figurative language such as similes and idioms, etc...

• Poetry is boring.

Poetry is actually so boring and should be a choice for people to take as a GCSS instead of it being forced upon people. No one likes it and is therefore a waste of time. It has no affect on us or our future in any way shape or form.

• Whats the point

What is poetry teaching us? It won't help us in our day to day life's
    so we DON'T need it. We could be learning about how to buy a house or how to cook and get a job. Speaches are more interessting to watch not boring poems. This is what i think

• Whats the point

• Where in life will you need it again?

Where in life am i going to need to analyse poetry? Its a waste of a curriculum when children could be learning more important life skills, such as first aid. Other than a poet or a teacher what job do you need it for? In the middle of work your not going to turn around and start analysis Lord Byron are you?

• Poetry has very little meaning to everyone

In schools teachers always make you go through the archetypal meaning of every poem. Unlike math there is no correct answer to any question asked about poetry, it could be anything to want it to be. Archetypes are never going to be an important part of your life. The only professions that you need any of this in is English teacher, which means your a horrible person, or a literary critic, which means you shouldn't have a job. You can enjoy a poem without learning every detail about the meanings it contains. If an archetype is a universal idea i should be able to identify it without having to learn it.

• They shouldn’t teach it

Because we are taught the same thing every year, with the same poems same assignments, same everything. It has been like this since I was in 4 th grade. I’m now a sophomore in high school and I am still doing this. It is starting to become repetitive and unnessary.

• Poetry isn't going to help today's youth in the real world!

When has anyone ever heard of a job besides English teacher, where poetry is important? NO WHERE! Poetry is dumb and for old people. Kids get frustrated because they are failing to find symbolism in a rock! There is no reason to teach poetry because poetry doesn't fix problems, it doesn't make a good project and i frustrates kids to the point of panic attacks and mental breakdowns!

• Nope - it's completely useless

• Poetry doesn't teach students needed life skills.

Students should learn how to write with proper english and know how to write a formal paper instead of knowing how to analyze poetry. For students to have a career, jobs care more about knowing how to write and present things than knowing how to read poetry and analyze it.

• Poetry is entertainment. Entertainment is a luxury. Luxury is NOT a necessity.

Poetry is more of a hobby, not as a school unit. I am pretty sure that the poem you memorized in high school will not come in handy when you are looking for a job. Unless you devote your life to studying poetry (which will still not land you a job), there is very little chance you will need it in the future.

>