• Save space for the murderers, bank robbers, rapists, ETC.

Millions of people are doing time for nonviolent felonies and/or misdemeanors and it's really ridiculous. Nonviolent crimes such as fraud or theft shouldn't be punished with jail time. A nice sized fine and a warning would be good enough. Cops need to learn to go after violent crime instead. I don't care about thieves on the streets but I wouldn't feel safe if a murderer was let go because there is no space in the prison for him/her.

• Hold The Dangerous Ones

Personally, I feel like our prison system has been filed with many people who simply do not belong there. The War on Drugs has swiped up thousands who simply sought to make a profit, no different than many of the businesses in our country. I am up for any suggestion that gets more people out of prison and back in functioning society.

• One love people

GET TO THE BOTTOM OF WHY THEY ARE THERE IN THAT SITUATION. If you can find out why YOU CAN HELP THEM GET BETTER!!!!! In any situation this is true, SOME CASES OF COURSE ARE WORSE THEN OTHERS. UNDERSTANDABLE, DEPENDING ON THE SEVERITY OF EACH AND EVERY INDIVIDUAL!!! WE ARE HUMAN, WE USE OUR BRAINS, WE ARE NOT ANIMALS. IF YOU PUT AN ANIMAL IN A CAGE, you better believe its going to go crazy and freak out, be stressed DO MORE ENRAGING THINGS OUT OF ADRENALIN. OUT OF CONFUSION, FIND AN UNDERSTANDING THAT will RELATE and HELP EVERYONE to the RIGHT DIRECTION to move to EVOLVE to be better people. ONE LOVE, ONE HEART, ONE BODY, ONE UNIVERSE, we are all here TOGETHER SO LETS HELP EACH OTHER OUT and don't lock us up. NO ONE, NO THING IS EXCLUDED.

• One love people

You can set up programs to get whatever nonviolent criminals, such as pill addicts, fraud, and other nonviolent offenders. So these nonviolent offenders can go through some type of rehibilitation to better them selves in the future. Having them go through such programs, you can potentialy hook these nonviolent offenders up with real legal paying jobs, so they are not out begging, or searching for ways to make money other than stealing, or ruining their lives with drugs etc. When you throw people into jail, and prison it is an instant way to make that person feel very upset, and discouraged. It puts fear into those people. They try to find ways to get out, or even go crazy, INSIDE THE JAILS OR PRISON because they are stripped of all their rights, freedoms, ability to LIVE. These jail systems, and prisons are only a money making business that rips peoples money from them, tears familys appart, and destroys lives.

• One love people

WE ARE HUMAN, WE USE OUR BRAINS, WE ARE NOT ANIMALS. IF YOU PUT AN ANIMAL IN A CAGE, you better believe its going to go crazy and freak out, be stressed DO MORE ENRAGING THINGS OUT OF ADRENALIN. OUT OF CONFUSION, FIND AN UNDERSTANDING THAT will RELATE and HELP EVERYONE to the RIGHT DIRECTION to move to EVOLVE to be better people. ONE LOVE, ONE HEART, ONE BODY, ONE UNIVERSE, we are all here TOGETHER SO LETS HELP EACH OTHER OUT and don't lock us up. NO ONE, NO THING IS EXCLUDED.

• Prison Should Be Limited To Violent Offenders

Prisons are very expensive. If somebody isn't a threat to society they shouldn't be taking up space in a prison. Nonviolent offenders are not a threat to anyone, let them live their lives. It is an expensive and ineffective system. It would be more cost effective just to impose heavy fines and probation on these individuals.

• It's more fair and it's cheaper

The point of a prison should be to keep dangerous people out of society. If someone isn't dangerous, then they should "pay their debt to society" through fines, community service, or some other means. They get to keep more of their freedom, and society pays less of a bill. In addition, that person is never exposed to the harsh environment of a prison-- an environment that can make a hardened criminal out of a petty one.

• We Need To Stop Wasting Money

We are gong into debt by supporting criminals for nonviolent crimes by locking them up and paying for their room and board. We need to force these people just to do community service instead of us having to suffer by paying for their livelihood. Unless someone poses a physical threat to society, there is no need to physically punish them.

• Prison is an inhumane severe form of torture.

To all the 'No's here is what you all fail to recognise. Prison is a severe form of torture, Where there is absolutely no chance of rehabilitation, And in fact there is only ever degradation. Prison is a more severe form of torture than many third world gov agencies use to interrogate their suspects. We treat violent animals more humanely than prisoners. Lions have more space, Sunlight, Better exercise, Food and sleep quality than any prison in the world. And to all you who say wait until you are a victim. I am. I have been stabbed, Gang attacked, And a victim of fraud. In none of those instances would I desire for the culprits to be imprissoned in any prison currently opperating. What I would want is for them to be detained in a state of the art rehabilitation facility run by the military, Academics, Medical and professionals with military discipline. This 'cells' should be rooms, With windows and light, Plants and space. Education, Exercise, Counselling, Training. . .

• It ruined my life.

Jailed and made a felon for counterfeit drug trafficking (I sold a caffeine pill for a pack of cigarettes). No prior criminal record other than false charges that were dropped years ago but was used against me in the felony drug charge. After being released from jail I couldn't even get a job as laundry mat attendant due to the stigma of society towards any felon. Without my family and God's help I would have been right back in jail for my own security rather than being kicked around and homeless for the rest of my life.

• War on drugs/ violence/ prison

It is rediculous that people that use/sell drugs are in jail. No matter how many offenses they have up until they take there dyeing breath they have a chance to recover but some give up and kill themselves becouse they were impresoned for made up "crimes" that ruined there livelihood lis silly. Like many have said prison should be for murderers and crimes of premeditated violence. Repeat offenders don't get better through prison it makes them worse in almost every instance I've seen. They need love all prison spreds is hate and fear, the opposite of what all sick and well people Need.

• Crime will still exist

If someone robs a bank, and they do no go to jail, but instead get a fine, what would stop them from trying again? And if they do no harm and get another fine, they can try again. Plus if you have nothing and you commit a non violent crime, what is a fine going to do? Take the money you don't have. Jail needs to be a lesson to criminals, and if it is not, not much will happen

• Depends on Definition of Violent

THis is a difficult topic. How violent is violent? If the difference in violence was murder versus severe injuries, then cases of rape could potentially fall in the "non-violent" category, meaning they could potentially not be imprisoned. I could not be comfortable living in an environment where something like that is not punishable by imprisonment.

• Non-Violent Crimes Can Be Just As Harmful

White collar crimes, while not technically violent, can have a much larger impact than typically small-scale violent crimes. Consider someone you and many others entrust with your life savings. Should this person commit fraud, then dozens of families' lives get destroyed, infinitely more harmful than a simple robbery, where you might get shaken up and lose a hundred or two dollars, something relatively easily recoverable from. Tell me these non-violent offenders shouldn't go to prison.

• We cannot make these crimes 'more okay'

So yes, I get that they're not okay. But the problem is that it makes these crimes more okay than violent crimes as they do not involve a prison sentence. I need 20 more words: Hello the world is a bad place non violent criminals should go to a prison

• Rapists, fraud committers, ETC.

People who scam people our of there hard earned money should be sent away, people who rape others, kidnap, stalkers ETC. cant just be put back out there, they should be rehabilitated. Now I need 18 more words to post this so pizza, cats, lion, jail, shark meat, the book

• Non-violent crimes cannot be let off easily

If prison is limited to violent offenders, most non -violent criminals can escape easily and get away with any crime. A drug smuggler(a non-violent crime) can simply bring in drugs but will not go to prisons since they are not limited to prison. Maybe a fine or will be given no more chances if caught again. He can simply ask another accomplice to bring in more and the vicious cycle continues. This is why non-violent crimes cannot be let off easily. Even littering can be let off easily. And littering is the one of the main source of destruction of the planet. Every single little crime let off, accumulates into a big suffering we have to pay the price for being so lenient.

Arget says2017-02-12T01:13:30.807
Not going to post in support for either though I am technically a no. I feel that we should limit who we are sending to jail or prison. Violent offenders should be there as are those who are a threat to others or their livelihood (fraud, embezzlement *bankers*, drug runners).

However those who do not have the means to pay a fine, or otherwise are not a threat should not be. Thus I am technically a no since I believe some non violent offenders should be in prison *cough 2008 crash cough* however I do support reform like many on the yes side.
>