• Rap is music

When people say "rap isn't really music" thats like saying when trains were used and cars were introduced thats like saying cars aren't real transportation. All music is a form of expression , so is rap. Rap has rhythm, it expresses something. What really isn't music is stuff like dub step.

• Rap is labeled as music unfortunately.

I do not like rap, but it is a form of expression, and is labeled as music. I use expression loosely, because rhyming about swearing, pot, violence, and sex just reflects how insecure they are, they think they need to act gangsta to look big and bad, when they are just sissies trying to build up a gangsta image.

• How is it not?

Okay before you all go running your mouths saying rap is not music what do the rappers rap to? Oh yeah!! MUSIC. They rap to the beats and its not just about poetry yeah it rhymes but you read poetry not RAPidly speak it. Just because you don't like rap doesn't mean it isn't music, If its the kids you're worried about then let their parents decide if they want their kids listening to it or not.

• Yes rap is definitely music.

Rap has music in it so if you're going to go running your mouths about how it is "POETRY" I am sorry to say you are wrong. Rap concentrates on the beat of the music you cant just write a poem and say here is my rap. It doesn't work like that rap has to have a beat to it its not all about poetry either its about how they speak they RAPidly speak it. Yes there are many rap songs that are dirty and might have inappropriate language in it. If its the kids you're worried about well its the parents choice on if the child can listen to it or not.

• Yes, the definition says so

The definition of rap is: "vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion."
    Now, rap includes both vocal and instrumental sounds and can definitely produce beauty of form, harmony and expression of emotion. Not all rap is people pointing guns at the screen and promoting drug use and violence, most of the tome it is very expressive and can be beautiful. No one would say chart music isn't music but a lot of songs in the chart don't have deep meanings or are beautiful so if you're saying rap isn't music you must be saying chart music isn't music. Why does the fact it may push children to do drugs and shoot guns not make it music. So you're saying if it had a different video it would be music? The video has nothing to do with the song.

• Yes, rap is music

Rap may not be to everyone's appeal, but it must be classified as music. It has some singing, instrumental sections, drum beats. What many people would say is not music would be the rapping itself, which is at times just fast-talking, but even this, put to music, must be considered music.

• How would it not be?

Of course rap is a genre of music. Rap mostly focuses on rhythm with its drums, it's sampling techniques and Rapping (which is basically spoken rhyming lyrics). How anyone can deny it to be music is beyond me. I think saying that something is not music just because you don't like it is really dumb.

• Yes, because reading it is not the same as hearing it.

Could you read rap lyrics? Sure. Would the experience of reading rap lyrics be the same as the experience of listening to that same rap song? No, it wouldn't . The rhythm and sounds of rap music add to it's impact in a way that needs to be heard. That's why rap deserves a place in the music category. There are lots of musical styles. Just because some people don't like some styles doesn't make them not music.

• Yes, rap should be considered music.

Many people enjoy the lyrical content and rhythm that rap music uses. It must be considered music because it is composed of the same elements that make up any other genre of music. Though many people of different generations do not enjoy listening to rap music, it should still be considered music.

• Your opinion does not prove a point.

Just because you do not like a genre of music, does not mean you can just rule it out and say it isn't real music. Rappers make a lot of money and most of them worked hard to get there, Another point is most people judge rap on one bad song they heard. You can not say rap is horrible. That is equivalent to saying "I tried out for the basketball team and I didn't make it, I suck at every sport."

• Secret hELP@ Y

Rap music is repulsive like all the rappers (:We don't want kids thinking its okay to play with real AK47s just because shooting people on Call of Duty is fun. As citizens, we should only listen to Christian gospel to reshape our lives including the children for the next generation.

• Rap isn't Music

If you just add "music" to the background, Which may I add, Is usually drums and bass, Most of which are just rendered through programs, Plus you don't sing, You just say words In a monotone voice, Then sure, You can get something, But it's like taking away the windows of a car, And taking away the wheel, Sure it may work, Sure it is technically a car, But is it a good car?

• Of course it's not music!

A guy who can't sing nor play instruments talking over a borrowed bit that loops every ten seconds is the absolute nadir of human achievement. It's not music, It's not singing. . . There are great artists who struggle while these clowns make a lot of money. I understand it is supposed to be something for "tough teens", But don't call it music. Please.

• Of course it's not music!

• It’s a hybrid

I kind like some of rap tracks as an artistic expression but I cannot live without real music (I mean music made by human hands). Rap is a hybrid between poetry with drum beats background (made electronic in most of the cases). It has no harmony other than a monotone electronic drum beats. It’s killing real music due to current brainwashing. It’s not the fault of the rap itself but of the music industry. It seems cheaper and less combersome to “create” and produce it than to have real music created by human hands and with singing instead of speaking lyric (if we can call it lyrics).

• Does a rap artist even know how to read music?

Most rappers can't read sheet music. Most rappers can't sing nor play an instrument. Where's the music they make? It doesn't exist. Does the rapper write the music he raps with? Hell no!

It's obvious, Rap is not music. It's a big con job by gangster producers and non musical stooges.

• This is poem reciting

Rap is nothing more but some sort of poem reciting in a fast-forward mode. I mean besides drums and nothing else in the background rap is nothing more than reading text or finding fancy ways to rhyme words. Besides, I believe about 65 % of pieces of "art" involves cursing and claims that it is polite to do since it is "art" (as music). To hear these words as a musician is very painful. RAP SHOULD NEVER EVER CONSIDERED AS MUSIC.

• I feel that it shouldn't be considered music.

My reasoning for this is that it takes less musical talent than rock, metal, etc. If you can speak and know all the words to a song you can sing it at full speed, even if your out of key. However with a instrument(ex: guitar) even of you know every note you can't play it if you don't have the musical prowess with said instrument. Listen to what you want, I just feel it should be recognised that music played with real instruments takes more musical talent that having a computer create the sounds.

• No musical structure

Rap music doesn't have musical structure. In music, there is always a structure of chords, the most common being I I I I IV IV I I V IV I I.
    Rap doesn't have a slight form of that. And it often doesn't even have a key signature. Rarely will it have an accurate time signature. Music needs all the elements above to be considered music. Rap is slam poetry with a beat behind it. Nothing more nothing less.

• No musical structure

>