Should self defense classes be required in school?

Asked by: Innovate23
  • It should be and that's that!

Children would when and at what time their skills will be needed if the have a good instuctor and i am sure the schools won't just pick some guy off the street to teach the children at there school bacause the parents will literally come at them and defend their children if ya know what i meann. .

• Im Third speaker. Come at me

Good evening ladies and gentlemen, I am the third speaker for the affirmative team today. As our first two speakers have comprehensively brought to your consideration self defence should be mandatory in classes, we as the affirmative team believe this statement to be true. Before I get to summarising my teams case.I would first like to discuss to you the faults in the oppositions argument
    To summate my teams case, our first speaker introduced to you our teams first two arguments, first of all he stated, that any attack on a person can threaten their lives and potentially be fatal, as horribly shown with the modern day victims of one punch crimes, these defenceless citizens and students were brutally slaughtered, but this could've been prevented if self-defence becomes mandatory in classrooms across the globe. Anyone can be a victim, from any attack, but experts say that knowing self-defence drastically reduces this risk of being on the receiving end from one these attacks. He also exclaimed that knowing this vital skill can allow you to easily identify attacks from what you have learnt in these curricular training activities, being of the utmost importance in the instance civilians are forced into potentially harmful situations.Our second speaker informed you about how these moral inducing activities boost confidence levels to a major extreme, ultimately benefitting the participating students. But its not only confidence that will rise as an affect of this positive change, independence and self-power will increase rapidly, forming fine young men and women leading into the future, men and women who know self-defence that is. Lastly, our second speaker mentioned that learning self-defence from a young age is a good thing in that, it help build a strong mental side as well as physical. People, through this proposed program can be more aware of others mental struggle and teach everyone that this is a normal part of life. Obviously learning self-defence can benefit most aspects of life and helps lots of people around the world.
    So ladies and gentlemen, in conclusion, we as the affirmative team believe that we should make self defence mandatory in school classrooms, and we strongly uphold that view. . Thank you.

• Im third speaker come at me

• My School debating Speach PS im third speaker

• Studens, self defense

I think they should, because what if like a uh killer comes into the school with a gun, knife, or any other weapon, all us students would need to do is fight until we can get their weapon away from them and hold them down until law enforcement get there! Soo, to conclude we clearly need to be required to take self defense class!

• Would decrease the number of sexual assaults and violence against women

If self-defense classes were required for high-schoolers to take, I believe that there wouldn't be as many cases of sexual assault and violence against women. Sexual assault is as prominent as ever in today’s society. According to the Journal of College Counseling, “1 out of every 4 women on college and university campuses had been victims of sexual assault or attempted sexual assault". Another article by the American Journal of Public Health states that, “It is estimated that in their lifetime, nearly 1 in 3 women has survived physical violence”. These statistics are astonishing, and the number of cases can easily be reduced if we provide high-schoolers with self-defense classes.
    Other solutions, such as implementing underage drinking prevention programs and bystander interventions, would be helpful but not as impactful as self-defense classes would be. For some college students, the benefits of alcohol are more important to them than the downsides of alcohol. Because certain underage students value alcohol too greatly, implementing underage drinking prevention programs would not be the most successful solution. Bystander interventions would possibly encourage others to get involved in these crises, but they would run the risk of negatively impacting bystanders’ mental health.
    Sexual assault and violence against women is a serious issue that needs an immediate solution to help prevent more cases from occurring, and I believe the most impactful solution would be to require self-defense classes.

• Yes, it should.

Because I said so that's why.
    People (a majority of males, some female but less common) have attacked women and other men that don't know or have any way of protecting and/or defending themselves off from an incoming attack. I MYSELF HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO PROTECT MYSELF FROM PEOPLE. HELP THE CHILDREN

• Yes to martial arts

Martial arts should be mandatory. If kids in primary school are taught a martial art they become aware of not only identifying a dangerous situation but dealing with it if things take a turn for the worst. I grew up with martial arts and the first thing we were taught is to never use martial arts unless in self defence, so as a child I became aware of bullying and many other terrible topics. As a teen we were taught to defend ourselves against kidnapping, rape and being held in a situation involving a weapon. Yes it should be mandatory but It should be taught right!

• Should be offered

I don't think that self defense classes should be required but offered a, narcissistic bully isn't going to take these classes because they think they can beat the little ones without it. The ones who need it can take it and protect themselves, the ones who don't think they need it will be defeated and no longer be a worry.

• It can be costly

Think about how much it would cost to hire a teacher that has trained in the ways of martial arts/self-defense. And what about things to train with, like dummies? They could be expensive. And what about space? Schools that are very large would need two or more dojos because of how many students might want to go.

• It's unnecessary and could cause kids to become the bully.

Bullies could learn learn how to do this to the weaker kids like the person above me said. But if they learn this? Even bigger reason to do so. Not a great idea but it's just an opinion, self-defense programs only happened because people are just insecure about themselves and were like "We need to learn how to kick someone in the face if we get in a bad situation." But people could use that just to kick someone in the face for no reason. So yeah, these are just unnecessary in my opinion.

• Gives more confidense, but not in a good way

When kids do self defense classes they are most likely getting bullied or is in some kind of need becasue they feel like they are feeling threatend against somebody. After a couple classes of self defense, they are going to gain confidense and can also lead to to much cinfidence. When they get bullied or get another threat, there first initial reaction is to kick, hit, or even punch and leave some damage.

• Bullies will only use it on weaker kids

It's not often that high school jocks are the likely practitioners of bullying and physical abuse in schools. Self-defense classes would be taken by similar jocks that want to use it on other kids and would be the ones excelling in it while intimidating the other kids. Self-defense classes should be left to separate businesses.

• Self Defence Classes should be offered as an extra curricular activity but not compulsory

Yes bullying does happen, yes rape and attacks happen, yes wars exist in the world but that doesn't mean we need to be on the defence all the time. How about teaching our kids intervention skills? How about teaching them community care, being aware of neighbours, reporting acts of violence and abuse, looking out for each other? How about teaching our kids how to moderator in an argument or how to verbally negotiate with an aggressive person until police arrive? These skills can be just as important. I think self defence classes are a great idea and I would have jumped at it when I was at school but we should force this onto kids who do not want to be physical in this way - it should be offered as an extra curricular activity as well as debating, verbal communication skills, moderating, counselling, intervention skills and so on. These social skills can be just as valuable as self defence, they are also self defence skills.

>