Should sexual education be taught in public schools?

• Yes sexual education should be taught in public schools.

I believe that sexual education is very important to learn. If kids start to have sex without any education it can lead to unprotected sex which can cause unwanted pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases. Public schools should however tell kids that it is best they wait until they are of age to engaged in sexual activities.

• Yes, it should be taught.

I myself am a Freshman in High School. In my school, we have so many teens that are pregnant, and were so naive about it, some even planned it. I honestly think we NEED Sex Education in schools, and maybe girls wouldn't be so quick to get pregnant if they knew the reality of it.

• Students should have to be taught about sex education in high school!

Students and teens should be taught in schools about sex. Sex education is not taught enough throughout the United States. I live in Mississippi and according to statistics MS is the leading state in the US of teen pregnancy. Most teens just think that they know everything about sex and some parents think that it is too touchy of a subject to talk about to their children. More than 50% of all teens from grades 9-12 have sex, and half of them do not know anything about contraceptives or sex in general. What they are taught in sex education classes will provide them with knowledge that they need to have concerning sexual intercourse. Because the teen pregnancy rate is so high teens should have to go through a mandatory sex education classes in high school. Although students think that they know everything about sex, they do not and they need to be taught properly about sex and contraceptives to prevent pregnancy and diseases.

• The school is a great place to learn about it.

Yes, students should be taught about sex in schools. In today's society, there are plenty of students out there that either don't have parents to teach them or could careless about teaching them, therefore these kids will never learn the ins and outs of being sexually active. The fact is they have to be taught so why not teach them at school, they're there for eight hours anyways.

• Yes, and it should be taught as a pure science

School is the place that people go to learn facts--science, math, English, etc. Sexual reproduction is a scientific fact, and there is information about the process that is not necessarily common knowledge to all parents. Why should we leave out this system when teaching about the human body? What better place to get factual information about the sexual process than a biology class? If parents want to talk about the moral aspects of sex with their children, then that is something that should be done outside of the classroom. Inside the classroom all facts (no matter how distasteful or embarrassing some people think they are) should be discussed. Maybe if we discussed more natural processes in this way we wouldn't have so many societal problems.

• Yes, of course.

Americans can be so prudish and backward about sex that they would contemplate not teaching children the scientific facts of how life is created. Kids should be taught about sex because it is part of biology and health and learning how the world works. Parents who disagree with what students are taught, even though it is all factual, can always tell their students how their beliefs differ. Alternately, if they feel so strongly that they want to shield their kids from reality, they can send them to a private school.

• It Should Be Taught

I think Sexual Education courses should be taught in public schools. Of course there should be limits to the material that is given during the lectures. There is no harm in informing kids on sexuality. It is better for students to be informed than ignorant to these types of things.

• It is necessary for proper education

If a school doesn't teach about sexual education to their students, who will? Their friends? The media? Some parents don't even do it because they have no clue on how to do it. Speaking as a teen, it is better that the kids learn it from a trustworthy institution in a familiar environment like school it.

• We should definitely teach about sex education

If children do not learn about diseases transmitted from unprotected sex it can potentially lead to death. Therefore schools should definitely teach about it in school otherwise we could have more deaths within the population. This is only one possibility but there are many out there such as major brain damage which can permanently destroy the brain. This will cause the parents to pay money to the hospital and become bankrupt

• I agree with the headline

I feel if kids were more educated on this topic that the teen pregnancy rates wouldn't be as high. Also, if children were more educated than less STDS and Aids wouldn't be spread. And kids wouldn't be so naive and pay attention and use protection to protect themselves and others.

• It influence secular humanism, which is a religion.

If public schools cannot promote all religions it should not be able to promote any religion, including secular humanism. The beliefs of this religion promote morals of the belief that if a person is going to sin, they might as well be taught how so that they do not do it, yet this is the exact opposite of what should happen. If you do not want someone to do an action, you do not teach them how to do it, how tempting for that person it must be. So if you do not want someone to have sex before marriage, do not teach them to such a degree when they are wayyyy to young to even do it.

• I myself was embarrassed to learn any of the course.

Being modest about my body and others in those ways, it was difficult to focus on the class. My concern is that those modest individuals will become aware of sex is possible, but because they were afraid of attention drawn to them in the class, will have missed the importance of the lesson. My parents gave me more competent advice than my school did for me.

• I think health classes should not be taught in public schools because abstinence is not taught.

Speaking from my experience, I realized that the only true way to stop the spread of sexually related diseases and maladies was abstinence until marriage. Public schools instead try to promote "safe" sex practices, but that continues to fail in our society. That is why I think sexual education should not be taught.

• Cuz fam it bad 4 u

Adam likes boyz and is a bad swimmer yo lol lol lol lolol ol ol ol ol ol lol lol olo lo lol ol ol ol ol ol o lo lo lol ol lo lo lo o lo lo lo llo o llo lol ol ol ol imma spoil the ending of star wars 4 u boi. Han dies yo. The end bruh sweg

Posted by: cc13
  • No, definitely not

Isn't it a parent's job to raise a child? Also, studies show, if exposed to such a talk at a young age, it actually increases urges that otherwise wouldn't have come around until teenage years. You're actually encouraging their hormones to take over. Also, what you believe about sex isn't always being taught at schools. The best way to get the right message through is through the parents.

• No Sex Ed should NOT Be Taught in School

First of all getting the topic into kids' heads will get them wondering and thinking about it, which may lead them to take that knowledge and try it out for themselves. I think that sex is something that should be discussed privately at home when the time is right rather than at school where people can make immature and inappropriate comments on the material.

• It's not the schools place.

Due to many people having a different set of moral beliefs and views. It is not possible to teach sex education in such a way as to appeal to each and everyone's personal beliefs on it. Issues such as whether abstinence should be followed or not is entirely up to personal preference. The way a school will teach on it will always have a bias. Then there is the issue of the fact that being educated on sex is a private and personal discussion that the student should be having with a parent or trusted adult. Sex education should not be taught broadly to a multitude of students but rather individually so as to suit everyone's personal beliefs and morals on the issue.

• No it shall never

It is so embarrassing for students to concentrate and discuss a topic like this during a normal lesson, based on my own experience. I have detested young children and teens' mockery and howling when the teacher explained about that critical part. In my opinion, I think family shall be responsible for providing this kind of 'private' education, as well as discipline, etiquette and morality in general. Yes, since this is a 'Private' issue, it shall not be discussed 'Publicly' :)

• No it should not be taught

I do not feel sex ed should be taught to children in school, I feel it is a personal and intimate subject and should be taught by parents, along with teaching ABSTINENCE. I know eventually my children will have sex but Id rather it be when they are mature young adults, preferably after HS or even college. I just think I have a better chance of that happening with the way I bring my children up in this world, and not pushing condoms and contraceptives in their faces. Maybe instead of so much sex ed teachers and schools should talk more about Drug and Alcohol Abuse.

• Sex education in schools tempts children to commit the act

I myself as a teenager believe it is immoral to teach young children in schools about the details of sexual activities. Growing up as a young girl I can definitely testify to the fact that children are naturally inquisitive and whatever they are taught which might seem interesting or out of the ordinary to them they are inquisitive enough to try it out themselves to see if it works. At the age of 11/12 I was introduced to the topic of sex in school and I remember later that day, the lesson we had just been taught in class was the main topic of coversations among the pupils in my class. Questions like "I wonder what it feels like?" "Have you ever seen a penis/vagina before?" "Do you think it would hurt?" "Should I do it with ...(boyfriend/girlfriend)?" Conviniently rolled out of the mouths of my class mates.. I definitely believe and can prove, using real life examples, that the lesson based on sex that we recieved in school, played and continues to play a significant part in the increasing number of teenage parents and pregnancies... It is the job of the parents to introduce the topic of sex to their children not the teacher/school. Therefore sex education I believe doesn't prevent teenage pregnancies but increases it.

Anonymous says2013-05-28T13:41:13.593
I think they should
Beautypearl says2015-02-15T21:34:30.073
I'm on the yes side. With teen pregnancy rates skyrocketing and all the nasty diseases spreading around the way they are, sex education is important in schools.
Beautypearl says2015-02-15T21:51:56.433
However, I like the idea of there being no sex ed class, but a special room where curios students can get book with info about sex.
>