• Yes sign language should be in schools education system.

I think sign language should be in all New Zealand education system because everyone needs to learn it everyone is important we all should be part of something that is really important not just for us but for everyone deaf is really important that sign language is the only physical communication for us to make them understand us. . .

• Yes it should or it should be offered

This makes people who use sign language so ecstatic as they do not feel as isolated or alone, It may make a friendship which could last so long. It is a language and should be treated the same as any other language so it should at least be offered to children to see if they would like to learn it however I think we all should as it would be such a great thing to do as it will break down communication barriers.

• Of course, It should!

It would help a lot of children in schools and people in the communities because imagine what it is if you weren't able to wear a hearing aid and you didn't understand what people were saying it should be as welcome as learning a foreign language is too I think

• It can happen to anyone

While it is not uncommon to hear a foreigner talking on the street, it is much more common to meet a deaf person.
    While languages are important in understanding culture and let's you travel to other countries, most people don't continue to study their language once they graduate, this means that they are not getting as much of the language as they could because they "will never go to France". While you can't exactly wake up the next day and suddenly become German, language and all, you can however become deaf and by offering this as an elective language choice of even making it a fire class, let's peop

• It should be tought .

Cuz i am a 8th grader and i have 3 deaf people in my school and i have a friend that is deaf and she loves when people learn to sign it took me 1 1/2 years to learn most of all sign language i now want to be a sign language interpreter thanks to sign language

• Yes most children and teens want to learn

Most deaf children are born to hearing families and it will be easier to communicate with them if you learnt sign language previously and children should be able to communicate hearing aids and implants don't always work

I am doing a speech on this at school it's being filmed so I might sign it to

• ASL is taught in some schools.

I have two children. In their early stages of education, they both had a teacher whose child was deaf. She taught the children in her class basic sign language. My kids both loved it and really were excited every day when they came home to show us their new lessons taught.

As they progressed to High School, they both took ASL offered to them as a language class and really excelled with it. One of the lessons was to pick out a popular pop song and learn it with signing. Then at their own option, get up in front of the class and have the song play in the background while they signed to it. None of the kids in the class declined to sign. They were all excited to have this opportunity to learn a language other than the usual ones offered.

And to this day they are able to read signing when they see it. And are happy to have had a chance to learn it.

• Not just for the deaf.

Not just for talking to deaf people. Sign language is the only physical form of communication. When visiting other countries communication can be a problem. But if all first world countries were to have sign language taught in school, communication would be so much easier as we would all speak the same secondary language.

• It Shouldn't because:

1.Firstly the power of 'Words' will be underestimated
    2.Secondly every student's body language will be more or less the
    same as they are learning it from the same teacher,enviroment etc...
    3.This course can be replaced/substituted with something more
    beneficial like foreign language courses etc...
    4.Tbh: this is just a waste of time!

• Isn't worth it

Why spend so many hours on something so stupid. Deaf people are so hypocritical, the hearing people make something to heel their disability (a cochlear implant) and the majority of them just reject it and throw it away. You live in our world so if you want to survive, then get a hearing aid or cochlear implant. If you don't, then don't expect any changes.

• Time and funding is finite

With school scores in the US at appalling lows, funding and time should be focused on more applicable skills. Given that .38% of the US population are deaf, the benefit is infinitesimal for the cost. Use the students' and teachers' time well and train them in practical skills, or at least a language that is used by at least 1% of the population.

• It would be a little hypocritical

To be honest I totally think everyone should learn sign language, any language in fact. It would be awesome and help children learn so many other things.

The only reason I choose this side is because you look up the opinion for should every child be required to learn native american and you will find its a lot of no's . Learn the background of your country and teach your children before you teach them sign language

• No It Shouldn't

I do not believe sign language should be taught to children. I think the concept on sign language is important to relate to children and it is important for them to understand what it is, but the time it would take to fully teach it, really needs to spent on learning English, learning reading and math, and other required subjects. Sign language is important but many people will live their life without any real use for sign language. I'm 30 years old and I've never been in a situation where I needed it.

• Im sm sm

Gf gf gf fg fg fg fg fg f fg fg g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g

• ASL is taught in some schools.

• 360,000,000 people world wide are reported to have serious disabling hearing loss - ASL is the 6th most used language

Research indicated that children who learned sign language at a young age had higher IQs than their peers who didn't learn sigh language. Also, those who are deaf can be included and hearing children who learn it are more likely to have better relationships with family and friends as they understand concepts like compassion and inclusion.
    Please read - "Why We Need To Teach ASL in School" Odyssey at SUNY Geneseo and many other articles available to enlighten you on this important topic