• Privatize Social Security

It should be privatized because it would be good for people to know where their money is at and know that it's protected. Instead of having other people control it, They'll have control over it. Overall, It would just make retirement much more easier for people because they'll be having their own money.

• People will have more control over their own retirement.

There are several advantages to privatizing social security. One of these advantages is you can and will see more on your investment/ During the Reagan presidency Martin Feldstein, Chairman of the Council of Economic Advisers said something along the lines of that privatizing social security could almost double returns and you could see something along the lines of 5. 5% real rate return so if you make $50, 000 annually by the age of 67 you could have $22, 000 waiting for you.

• Social security should be privatized

I want social security to be privatized because i feel it is a good way to set someone up for a happy and easy retirement. I say this because social security can help decide what kind of retirement plan a individual wants to choose for themselves. All in all i say that the government should privatize social security.

• Privatize Social Security

Social Security has become an important aspect within the American government system. The way one earns their money and choses to use is up to them ; and the same should be in applied to their security money. Every person should be free to their own will what happens to their money and putting that into their private accounts will give retired people higher returns. By helping individual investments not only help those with their money, But also boost the economic growth in America by putting money back towards the financial system.

• Yes social security should be privatized

I agree that social security should be privatized this way your money can be safe and it also is very helpful for the people that retire. Nobody wants there money to be floating everywhere they want to make sure its safe so when they do retire they can have it. Also we make the decisions about our money not other people.

• Social security should be privatized

Our social security is something important which should be taken care of carefully. Privatizing it can protect it. It should also be privatized because the money we have, The money we earn, Is for us and not for any random person. It is up to us to make our decisions about money. Nobody should be able to control what we work for.

• Security is basically our identity.

Social Security benefits are based on a balancing of two principles: equity and adequacy. Equity means that what you put in is related to what you get out; in other words, Workers with higher wages, Who pay more into the system, Receive higher benefits later on. Social Security works because it is a compact that extends across income groups. If the affluent leave the system, It would become a welfare program, Shorn of the political clout that comes from universal participation.

• I dont think it should be privatized

It has been around for a long time and is available to seniors over 65 who are retired. It should be available to everyone ( considering they are seniors) and not for select companies. It is supposed to be about people, not about profit, and the private sector is all about profit.

• It should be privatized

The money that you earn is your own money and no one should ever be allowed near it no matter what the circumstances. You should control where every single little bit of your money goes without someone having to tell you you have to do a certain thing with it.

• Privatized social security

Social security should be privatized because it should be up to you on what you do with your money ,we shouldn't let other people have control of your income,also it should be privatized because it'll make retirement easier it would also increase economic growth because of the reduced tax,lastly it helps people who don't have a back up plan when their retired

• No, the truth should be told about it is all.

The program is voluntary in the first place. If the government allows it to go into private hands then the reign of tyranny will be from a private company who will ignore the laws anyways. If people wish to have a retirement program then they can invest their money with an investment company as it is. But because it is done under a treaty the program will be harder to implement if it is in the hands of a private company instead of the hands of a corrupt government.

• No, because the profit motive should be kept out of the Social Security system.

I think the privatization of Social Security would be bad for everyone. The system currently provides a very basic safety net, which is not motivated by profit. Were the profit motive to enter into the Social Security system, there would be a large presence of companies, with no ethics, looking to transfer as much money as possible to themselves, with the entire American population as their captive customers. People are already able to privately invest of their own choice, if they so wish.

Posted by: tacomoon
  • Social security should not be privatized because it privatization makes it easier for companies to scam older adults without appropriate government oversight.

I believe the privatization of social security would be harmful because of the lack of government oversight. Companies would try to increase their own profits by exploiting older adults, especially those who are unable to navigate a more complicated, privatized industry. It is important that older adults be able to afford to live after retirement and the government should be responsible for ensuring that. Of course, social security may need to undergo changes to better improve the lifestyles of older Americans.

Posted by: R33Amory
  • I don't think social security should be privatized because not everyone would be able to access it.

I don't think social security should be privatized because not everyone would be able to access it. As a government program, everyone has the same opportunity to access social security. It is also a priority for people to get it as they have to contribute to the fund throughout their working career. If it was privatized, not everyone would find it important to contribute as they would say they can't afford it. Because of that, more people would live in poverty as they aged and less would be able to afford to retire. It is more effective as a government program.

Posted by: ObaICheese
  • Social security should not be privatized because it would open all kinds of doors for fraud and theft.

The social security system should not be privatized. A company is a non-entity which means it has the same rights as a person but all too often when there is corruption within that company, no one has to pay the consequences. If social security were privatized, it would open too many doors for the companies running it to steal our hard earned money, and I don't trust the government to oversee the companies running social security.

Posted by: Nik0Interior
  • I do not think that social security should be privatized.

I do not think that social security should be privatized. While I am a proponent of privatizing almost everything that the government does, I do not believe that we could continue to support the system if the program was shifted away from the government at this time. It is an interesting time now with the big banks are being owned by the government and high salaries associated with handling large sums money are not bounded so it would be a very poor time to take this private. I think that we need to get our financial system in the US underway before we begin to add responsibility to it.

Posted by: SilverMathi
  • Social security is too large an entity to be privatized.

Social Security is too large and important a component of American society to ever be allowed to become privatized. The potential possibilities for abuse by an individual corporation that has access to trillions of dollars is an open invitation to theft by dishonest administrators. The millions of people who live on social security income depend on their monies arriving on time, and a poorly managed social security system privately operated could have devastating results.

Posted by: ThegaXen
  • Social Security should not be privatized because it is a government operation and the government should have full responsibility for it.

For many years, our government has been in charge of Social Security. I know there are problems, but I have been on Social Security for five years and I have been pleased with the service I have gotten. Whenever I have had a problem, I received service at my local Social Security Office and the problem was solved to my satisfaction within a reasonable time. I believe that getting another entity involved will just create another bottleneck in the administration of this most vital program.

Posted by: R0d0Ferdy
  • I do not think social security should be privatized, the current system needs work, but privatization is not the way.

I am against the idea of privatizing social security. Social Security was set up as a safety net for the elderly. It is supposed to be about people, not about profit, and the private sector is all about profit. The two ideas clash, and if social security is taken over by a private industry then our poverty, and health care issues will severely increase, especially considering that our elderly population is skyrocketing.

Posted by: XglossyWynd
  • Social security works best because it is a public program that serves Americans, and it should remain that way.

Social security is one of the best social programs that the United States has ever developed. It is one of the things that Americans can rely and depend on, as they get older. They have comfort knowing that they can work for years, and that the work they are doing will be rewarded to help provide for them when they are older and unable to work. The idea of privatizing this system is not a good one, and will only serve to help the private companies profit. It will be a detriment to the Americans who depend on that income, when they become older or disabled. Privatizing social security would mean that it is no longer a guaranteed system that Americans can depend on. Instead, it would be more like a pension program, and many pension programs have ended because private companies have found them too costly. It is not worth the risk of such an important program ending or being downsized. It should remain a public program that is backed by the United States government, not at the whim of the profit and losses of private companies.

Posted by: RapidGarret59

janette says2018-08-06T21:59:42.930
I agree that social security should not be privatized. Our social security is based on help and not profit.
>