Should Spanish be a mandatory course in public schools?

• Spanish is the 2nd most spoken language .

If you ever go to large cities or the coast there are people who speak Spanish it would be nice to be able to speak to them in their 1st language or speak to them. Also a lot of countries teach English to their student so why cant we learn Spanish. Gracias por leer. (Sorry if i spelled it wrong).

• Sí , el español es bueno para nuestra cultura

The USA has a very good opportunity to adopt some of the Hispanic culture into the American way of life. Speaking Spanish is apart of the every day life of nearly 38 million Americans and that number is growing. Most Americans have this attitude that everyone else speaks English so why should we bother learning a foreign language when its pointless. Learning Spanish is not pointless because it can be used to connect with our Hispanic neighbors. We are a true melting pot and that can include a second language.

• Spanish is Better!

Spanish is alot easier to learn and write. If you know how a word is spelled, you can almost always know how it is pronounced (although the reverse isn't true). It also is the worlds 2nd common language. Many schools also have Spanish as a mandatory language because its better to help them when looking for a career

• Spanish should be required in Public schools.

I think that Spanish should be required in Public schools. If you know Spanish while going into Collage you have a better chance to have a career. Also if you know Spanish and run for a job you have a better chance anyway. A lot of people in the speak Spanish in the world, because over 21 countries have Spanish listed as there first language.

• Education should be bilingual in the United States as it is in all the civilized countries of the world. We are lacking behind...

There is an overwhelming number of studies and successful models around the world that provide evidence that early foreign language instruction is the way to go. In Europe children learn 2 and 3 languages since early age and develop along the way cognitive skills beyond their linguistic abilities, not to mention a cultural competency to make them wonderful 21st century individuals. Unfortunately, with this short-minded mentality that English is the only language in the world, we are lacking behind and we are failing our children in providing them with the tools to preparing them to assume roles in the global society they are inheriting. My children already speak three languages and I feel very proud of that!

• Spanish should be necessary

Yes, I think that Spanish should be a necessary language that is taught in public schools. Nowadays, many more people are speaking Spanish and being bilingual will help individuals get jobs at a global level. I think that learning Spanish will help to merge cultures, and cut down on animosity towards others.

• Children will remember

I am a student at Lomax Magnet Elementary and I used to be a student at Woodmont Charter school. At Woodmont we would learn Spanish for a special like Music, Physical Education, and Art every Friday and Monday. But when I got to Lomax and they did not have that I forgot it so now I am relearning the language foe the second time because they don't teach it at my school.

• Yes,for many reasons because

Just learning one language will not make you really go far only for some people ,there's a grantee that your child is going to have Spanish speaking friends so you could helped them, also it could help you for your future job because you will sometimes you need to speak a another language and that's my opinion

• Of course we should!

Like it or not, the United States is quickly headed towards becoming a bilingual nation. Now, we can either get xenophobic and go " get your dirty Mexican-speak out of my red white and blue hurrr " or we can understand that it's not weird at all for a nation to speak multiple languages, requiring it at a elementary level can help push the nation into a bilingual , and a more united state of nation.

• Why SPANISH??? Why not Chinese, Japanese, or German???

It is important for the future generation to learn a foreign language to catch up with today's globalized world, but why does it have to be SPANISH?? There are loads of languages out there that are more useful and worthy of learning than Spanish, such as Chinese, Japanese and German. These languages are the languages of the world's economic and technology power house. In contrast, Spanish is a language spoken exclusively in third-world countries only, except Spain. Why should we be forced to learn such kind of a WORTHLESS third-world language?

• I think not.

I am okay with the whole learning another language. If schools want to offer Spanish as a language that is okay as well. I just do not believe the only option should be Spanish. Most schools do offer languages like French, Chinese, Japanese, and even American Sign Language where I am from. I just do not feel it is okay to only offer Spanish. What about the Spanish speaking schools in America? Do they learn Spanish? I would hope not.

• Spanish shouldn't be a mandatory class

Spanish is an important language but we live in America where the main language is English. If we learn English but then we start learning Spanish what's the point? Spanish should be an optional class because maybe we end up in a spot where the extra language comes to no use. Spanish is a great language to learn but it takes up unnecessary time that could be used to learn more essential subjects.

• Middle School students should not have to learn Spanish

Setting a curriculum for a student is difficult. Especially when you create a 3-4 year program involving a second language they do not wish to continue learning. Why Spanish is the language they choose I don't know, but if a student wants to commit to another less obvious choice then they should be able to. Not only that but after high school, the only available language course is Spanish. If everyone were to learn Spanish then nothing sets them apart on college applications. I learned American Sign Language. Now I can efficiently communicate with deaf people.

• It's very difficult to learn, goes against freedom of choice.

Spanish class was a huge struggle for me in High School. I tried my best but still failed assignments on a regular basis, made a bad grade, therefore lowering my GPA 😒. Learning another language is more of a hobby or interest rather than something you'll need every single day outside of school, at least with most jobs. They need to teach kids more useful things like how to do spend money wisely or go over the constitution in history classes in more detail so people know their rights, in fact, I wasn't taught my constitutional rights at all in school. Brainwashing 101, keep people oblivious to their rights.

• Definitely not!! Why do we need two languages, we already struggle to learn one.

The State Mandated Requirements for High School Graduation foreign language are one year of either visual and performing arts, foreign language, or career technical education. Also, in 1968, Senator Ralph Yarborough, of Texas, got a bill approved by Congress that aimed at removing the language barrier to an equal education for immigrants
    I consider that the schools should not require any foreign language classes for middle schoolers or high schoolers. I suggest that all school boards should do away with the policy that requires a foreign language class. I completely disagree with the state requirements for high school foreign language classes.
    Since Bennett-Kew Elementary School Principal Nancy Ichinaga has refused to require bilingual education and her first graders, which scored in the 80th percentile in Reading on the State’s Standardized tests last Spring. Which means they did better that 80 percent compared to the students tested nationwide. I suggest that if we get rid of bilingual classes our school will secede knowledge-wise
    Tons of student already have many hard classes including homework for each of those classes. “The workload for learning two languages can be heavy, and some parents have taken their kids out of dual language classes because their kids are struggling some families said”, from Amy Zimmer’s article (“What You Need to Know Before Sending Your Child to a Dual Language Program”).

• No i think they shouldnt

I think they should not have to learn how to speak any other languages. We are in america not mexico or germany or anywhere else. They should learn how to speak english before they come here i mean if i go to mexico they would expect me to speak spanish because it's there language. So why are we supposed to speak a different language when we were taught to speak english in america. But we get some mexicans here we are suppose to speak spanish.Now they want us to take a forin language to pass high school and if we dont take it we dont get all of our creadits

• Spanish is boring

I feel like kids should be able to choose a language they want to learn or choose if they even want to learn a language but some people might say what are the kids going to do when the others are learning and I say they should have a free period to study

• Spanish is boring

• There's no point

Schools in other countries teach their students English because it is the language of global business. Mandatory teaching of Spanish is a PC agenda. The reasons given are to promote dual language, but it's catering to Mexicans, and helping them maintain their native language, instead of helping them learn English and assimilate into the US. Asians don't insist the schools teach their children in their native language. That's because their parents push them to speak fluent English to enable them to be successful in global business. They take their own language and cultural classes on Saturday.

>