Should students be allowed to call their teachers by their first name?

• Yes they should

Yes we should be cause they call us by are first names so we should be able too. I think its funny to me how they get mad but what if i got mad when they called me by my first name. It s not fair that they call us by our first names.

• Yes they should

Students should be able to call a teacher by their first names, Because it would create a stronger bond between the teacher and students. The student would most likely feel more able to talk to the teacher. The way I am I will talk to my friends more but if I could call my teacher by their first name like one of my friends I would feel more comfortable talking to them.

• In some cases yes

Now you can't call them by their first name all the time. You see, Teachers should have lots of respect. They lead childern to levels of education and help them grow to have a succseful life. Calling them by their first name could make them feel like you're just treating them as some guy you know or whatever, Not a teacher, But calling them by first name is prob good in things like off-campus parties, Thank you cards, Etc. Why? Because it shows them that you think of them as more than a teacher. They're also your friend or whatever that you trust and can go to for help. So is it okay? Sometimes.

• Its is equality

Students should be able to call teachers by their first names because, They are only people just like everyone else. Some people think that teachers lose authority when being called by their first name, That is wrong. Have you ever lost respect for calling anybody by their first name that isn't a teacher? Didn't think so.

• Calling teachers by their first names creates an environment that allows equality amongst teachers and students

At my school, We call all of our teachers by their first names. I have been to schools that require we address our teachers utilizing honorifics, However, I believe that calling teachers by their first names creates a culture of approachability and equality between student and teacher. I have always felt very comfortable approaching my teachers and I know my peers fell the same way. We are able to foster productive conversation and debate amongst students and teachers in an acedemic environment that reaches beyond the classroom. Calling our teachers by their first name creates a culture of respect. I feel that I can approach my teachers and have more in-depth discussions than that of the classroom. Calling teachers by their first name ultimately creates a respect between students and teachers where the student is not intimidated by their teachers in a negative way, And the teachers have less push back from the students who feel as if they can’t aproach their teachers for help. I will be attending Harvard in the fall, And I can honestly say that having an environment where I can aproach my teachers and have enriching discussions and debates has legitimately helped to foster a passion for learning and the ability to ask meaningfu questions that has helped me put me on my path now. This is my personal opinion, However, I do seriously believe in this topic.

• But why not?

Students should be able to call teachers by their names, Because that's why names exist, To identify people. In my school, I call teachers by first name and even nickname, And i still respect them. Teachers that demand being called by honorific just think they are better than the kids.

• Ree REE REE

REEEEEEEEEEEE REEEEEEEEEE REE RWR RE R E R E R VR VR V EC RB RMVC R B RB EV E VBR FCD ER TIFFANY WENFKNE eUHNDCIBEIVUWUIC UIWvbwION W STephinee EFEWUNCOENF E*NVUEO ENV E VE F S fNE SNF E(NUE V E(ONV EV( EJ( VI E IUE IIU E I

• Gender related issues

Honorifics are marital and gender specific. If the teacher in question is non-binary, It may just be easier to call them by their first name as although there is a non binary honorific, It is not in common usage and students may forget it, So it'll just be easier for them. If the teacher is female, You may call her by the wrong honorific, And that may result in a sticky situation. Therefore, It will be easier to call them by their first names to save us from gender and marital related issues.

• This is modern days

We do not want old fashioned teaching. Want to do away with mr, Mrs, Miss and sir.
    We need to move with the times and improve teacher/pupil relationship.
    We should move with the time and we are now in the 21st century.
    Pupils should be taught in a modern way.

• Foster real respect, Not fake respect

I met plenty of teachers who I called by their last name and some corresponding honorific. The fact that they had some sort of title, Had literally no impact on whether I respected them. Even if it does have some sort of subliminal impact on respect, We shouldn't be teaching kids to respect somebody just because they have a particular title. That kind of appeal to authority is destructive to the development of independent thought and critical thinking. We should be encouraging kids to respect everybody and to take societal roles into consideration when talking to people.

• No They Should Not

Using someone's given name assumes a particular level of familiarity, whereas using an honorific such as Mr, Ms, or Dr, denotes recognition and respect of the individuals higher status, at least in their particular field. Not only would allowing students to use their first names erode the respect we as a society should be giving to teachers, but (especially in middle and high schools) it would undermine the authority teachers must have over their students in order to maintain order.

• They should definitely not

Especially in elementary and secondary schools, a teacher isn't supposed to be your friend, they're supposed to be someone you look up to and respect. The teacher is there to educate your children and inspire them to be their best. If the children feel they are equal with their teacher, how is a teacher supposed to control an out of hand classroom? Teachers aren't "better" than the student, but the students should know who's in charge. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

• No they should't

Students should not be allowed to call their teachers by their first name. First of all that is really disrespectful and secondly they are youth, only adults should be allowed to call other adults by their first name or else it is going to become really weird for the teacher.

• Respect for our teachers

Teacher are not are friends, They are superior to us and we have to respect that. You would never really send time after school with your teacher. A normal persons answer would be no. Also what is the teachers first name is hard to pronounce you would not want to call them by there nickname. If there last name is hard to pronounce you can call them Mr. J or something.

• Teachers have degrees

I believe that teachers should not allowed to be called by their first names because the teachers have degrees in teaching children while the students do not have degrees. The students did not go to college for any degree yet while the teachers have masters in education. Especially in high school and middle school. If teachers are allowed to be called by their first name then it takes away the respect of the teachers that the students would have for them.

• It is rude and disrespectful and you will get a office referral.

Students should call teachers by Last name because it is respectful and try not to call other staff members by their First Name because it is the most disrespectful thing teachers would want to hear from students and if try to do it you will get a Office referral please.

• It's disrespectful and blurs boundaries

Calling your teacher by a title is a form of respect that children should learn. It would be rude to call your boss by their first name when you first meet them. They're also children and shouldn't feel as though they have the same authority as their teachers. They don't and shouldn't. Your teacher isnt supposed to be a friend, They're a guide to respect. Just like how students shouldn't be going on dinner dates with their teachers, It confuses boundaries that are in place to protect the students and also to help the teachers maintain authority.

• It's for the children and the teacher

DEFINATELY NOT, Cause. . .
    1. It's rude to call teachers like that. Teachers are whom teaches them new knowledge and guide their childhood. However, It is a very rude acting to call like that. They should respect them.
    2. The students will have hard time adapting while their social life. When students grow up and get their job, Obviously have their superior. Not all of them likes being called by their first name.

• It's about boundaries

As a teacher I prefer to be called Ms, or Prof. - I'm not a Phd. So Dr. Is unwarranted. I've taught at a few different schools, and at the schools where the cultures is to use first names, the students become overly familiar, and are more inclined to ask for and/or expect better grades than they have earned. They mistake our teacher-student relationship and think we are friends - and friends give friends good grades. At schools where this not the case, students occasionally beg to pass, but no more than that.

• Why Should We?

It can be very weird, it will be a strange thing to do for the student. The teacher may be very confused if there is another lets say Alex in the room. Very, very disrespectful to the teacher who is teaching. You aren't her/his friend, he/she is your tutor. C: