Should suicide and self-harm be discussed in schools?

• Yes if it had been talked about then I wouldn’t have attempted it

In schools nowadays there seems to be a stigma surrounding suicide, depression and self harm. People who feel certain ways are looked upon as strange or some suicidal weird guy. You don’t feel as if there is any support or anything. People joke about it and do not realise that anybody - that person laughing at what you said, that person smiling over there - could be feeling that way, and children talking like that because of a lack of education. It needs to be talked about, but it shouldn’t be a clinical, following a programme talk. It should be an open discussion where people share their views and experiences and make it seem like a human thing that people care about instead of something that only professional people care about. In conclusion we should talk about it to break the stigma and educate people on how it feels, but it shouldn’t be treated as something which should be treated like a procedure.

• Yes it should be taught in schools ffs.

To help people learn to stop making children make them feel like they need to hurt themselves as people can make children worthless. Also, children are very vunreable and need guidance and pupils shouldn't laugh at them and call them attention seekers. It is fucking dumb. And we should teach our students to learn that self harm is normal and we shouldnt doubt their actions and say their dumb, but help them. Self harm and suicide is a fucking serious topic, so we should learn our students to see the signs of a self harmer, depressed or suicidal person, help them, make them feel like they aren't worthless and help them. Teach our kids to stop being bitches and care about others, we are all human beings ffs.

• Yes needs to be talked about

I have these issues and i kissed a blade to my skin and i know how if feels to have no one there maybe if my high school talked more about maybe we would of had one of us kill them selves schools need to make sure kid know that they are here for them

• NOOOOOO!!!!! Its not okay

Kids need to know about it because it happens in the real world and they need to know what to do about it and how to help because its not okay for them to act like it doesn't happen. Its not right for people to pretend like it just doesn't happen because chances are there going to meet someone who does and just not know what to do.

• It's a major thing

It would make sense for schools to explain why it's wrong particularly seeing as many cite school as the reason or part of the reason they did/do it. They got many into that mess they should try to get them out. Every person who dies is exactly that: a human being. When you factor in how many religions don't believe good things happen to their souls after it becomes even more important because if they're right it's not good.

• Of course it should be discussed in schools.

As teenagers in high school, it is the prime time for students and such to begin feeling the pressure from others. As a teenager who is currently dealing with the loss of a dear friend due to suicide, trying to help the majority of my friend group deal with their suicidal thoughts and sometimes actions, and as a depressed and anxious person myself, I feel this topic should be discussed more. If there were an assembly in such schools that have loved ones of actual victims or those who attempted or feel like they should attempt, students are more likely to recognize how suicide affects people all around them. They may not know it, but the girl or boy smiling happily in the hallways could be having a debate internally on whether their life is worth it or not. If these kids knew that they had a place to go to, a place where they could freely speak about what they're feeling without being pushed away or a place where their feelings matter, they could ultimately decide not to take their life or have a blade kiss their skin.

• Hell yeah it should

As a freshman in high school who is currently going through a relapse this needs to be discussed. People need to know that the happiest person can self harm! Im a generally happy person but look at me i self harm and talking helps more than people realize. I mean who cares about math when my life is in danger from myself

• Get rid of stigma

I believe schools need to talk aboutsuicide/depression/self-harm. There is so much stigma attached to it that if it were brought up anywhere else, no one would know how to properly address it. Plus, kids who feel that way, me being one, are too scared to bring it up or say anything because everyone is afraid of the word suicide. I feel like they need to be educated by someone who goes through it. My school does extravagant things that have no coorelation to helping destroy the stigma or raise awareness.

• Suicide, self harm, and mental health in general should be talked about in schools in order for student safety, warmth, and acceptance.

Did you know that suicide is the tenth leading cause of death in the US? Or that it's increasing as the years go on? In my very own state, it's the third leading cause among other states. As a teenager and a primary source, it's true to say that my peers don't feel comfortable talking to adults (such as counselors) because they feel like they don't understand. Many of my friends will confide in me, but I am not qualified for providing therapy. They need to feel comfortable to talk to someone qualified, and the more and more I experience life, the more I see how people hide their pain--that even some of the most idyllic people are struggling in silence. I firmly believe it's because suicide, depression, and mental illness--whether it be temporary or long term, or for whatever cause for these negative feelings--are stigmatized. I understand, it's a heavy issue, but if it's so heavy--a weight that brings people down, why not make it light? Why not make talking about it easier? Those rates just might go down. It's best that we talk about it in school so that in the future, if one must come across such feelings, or a person in need of support because of those feelings, they'll know what to do and they won't feel afraid of asking for help because it'll already be instilled in them. Talking about it won't make things worse, but not talking about it will allow things to fester. People feel helpless and hopeless, and suicide occurs left and right. I mean, look what happened this year? So many were in agony to see the headlines spread the word about Chester Bennington's death, right on the birth day of Chris Cornell--a dear friend who previously had committed suicide. Many feel that the world doesn't care or, again, understands. Why not show them otherwise? Why not care if another light goes out?

• Yes, its very important

The reason i say yes is because kids need to know what to look out for kids can use what they learned for signs to look at other kids can go into deep deppresion which makes it hard for them it could make them want to self harm or even kill thenmselfs

• No, suicide and self-harm should not be considered part of the general subject matter in schools

Suicide and self-harm should not be considered part of the general subject matter in schools. Including such subject matter as a general part of schools' curriculum would seem to place a lot of responsibility of the children in the hands of school officials. Such subject matter would seem to be more appropriately discussed between a parent or parents and a child. Yes, school officials spend a significant portion of time with students, something to be kept in mind. However, where does the line end at school officials educating children and raising them.

• It's NOT a good idea!

There are people in schools, Such as myself, Who just can't sit here and listen to stuff like this, Maybe they lost someone to suicide or like me have tried it and just can't handle talking about it. If anything ASK a student if they want to go to these programs not forcing it!

• Not to 11/ 12 year olds!

It’s just became apparent that my 12 year old daughter has started cutting herself. Only 6 mths ago she was at junior school and was thriving. She got taught about self harming at her new senior school and then started doing it. I’m 100% sure she would of never even thought about it or known about it before that lesson. As far as I see she has learnt a method of expressing herself and gaining attention from being taught this as she tells me she started doing it after learning about it! The schools are supposed to be safeguarding the children, not putting stupid ideas in their heads at such a young and impressionable age.

• It's too heavy a topic.

Suicide is a very heavy topic, and it should be left up to parents to talk to their children about. I wouldn't feel comfortable with just any homeroom teacher talking to my kids about suicide. In large classrooms like we have today, the topic would be brought up, brushed over, and leave kids more confused then ever! I also feel that introducing the idea of suicide might glorify it and make kids more likely to harm themselves.

• Teens are assholes

As a cutter myself, I understand the need for proper education on serious things like this. Notice I said proper education. I'm currently a seventh grade student. During drug and alcohol education, I looked around at the class and only about 10% cared about what was being said. A class on self harm and suicide would do nothing because barely anyone cares. All it would is shame the self harmers into harming themselves worse. Now maybe if a specific student had issues then teachers should discuss the issues to the class or to their friends but without any specific reason, they won't care.

• We have better things to talk about!

The reality in most schools is that the majority of students are healthy and 'normal'. Suicide remains a very rare event in the life of most schools. However, mental health difficulties are relatively more common. The key messages we need to be promoting relate to positive mental health interventions and help seeking. Rather than discussing suicide, let's discuss depression and anxiety; let's discuss how to help a school mate who is feeling down or having a tough time; let's discuss how to get access to counselling services; let's discuss online help for mental health problems; let's discuss how we can train staff better to recognize depressed students; let's discuss strengths and positive psychology; let's discuss positive coping strategies and good stress management; let's discuss effective anti-bullying practices; let's discuss really good drug and alcohol education; let's discuss helping kids cope with gender identity; let's discuss promoting positive parenting practices. By doing all these things, we are doing really good suicide and self -harm prevention but without the risk of inadvertently promoting what we don't want to promote. Of course, I fully recognise that in the relatively fewer schools where there is a significantly greater risk of suicide (ie, very low SES; large number of kids exposed to trauma; high percentage of kids with known mental health problems) there may be more of a need to more openly discuss suicide and self harm.

• It could give kids ideas

If self harm and suicide was mentioned in school then the kids who do self harm would get nervous , worried that they might check ask questions to everyone . And if suicide was mentioned and there was a kid that didn't know what to do and in school they started talking about suicide then they might do it . Talking about self harm and suicide should no be allowed UNLESS a student or staff has kill them self and has to explained what has happened they need to lay a smack down in bullying not self harm and suicide

>