• Suicide and mental well-being should be one of the main subjects

A few friends I know not saying if that includes me or not but a few friends I know have depression and have suicide thoughts and adhd and we never talk about it about school which makes my friends feel like they have no one to talk to at school and there home life isn’t the bets and this is just one of the many cases

• Why Should It Not?

Sure, It's a lot of responsibility but some parents don't have any care in what their children do. Having a choice to take a class can change the minds of many suicidal kids. I don't think it should be in every grade but at least junior high and high school. Teachers spend a lot of time with students, At least 6 hours a day, And learn a lot about them. They pay more attention than most parents at home. I've dealt with a lot of suicidal people and all of them have gotten help but not everyone is that lucky. At least making kids aware of the signs would be good enough.

• Bro yes tf?

Should suicide and self-harm be talked about in school?
    Or even at least considered being talked about with students?
    School is for education right? , So learning about this sensitive topic should be considered a subject in high schools.

Yes, I say high schools because there is no need to go as far as primary or intermediate, By simply giving students the choice of learning or having a say in self-harm and suicide could really improve the thoughts of suicide in minds and change opinions on it. You never know, Your could really help several people.

• Suicide should be talked about in schools!

If you talk about it with others who are going through the same thing as you it will help it helped me a lot. I was at the hospital for suicide attempts i tried killing myself 2 times. I don't think i could talk to anyone by myself if there was a group of people i'd be better and i'll know i'm not the only one going through this. I won't be alone. I just want you to know if you guys ever feel like suicide is the only way out talk to someone. Even if it is hard. Your not alone you are loved. But yeah i think suicide prevention should be taught in schools.

• It's an important topic!

Yes, School is for education, So why not get educated about life, AND death? ! English and science won't teach you why your friend since the age of four killed themselves. There should be annual talks about suicide in schools, And it should show statistics AND personal opinions, Because no one is going to listen to JUST percentages and numbers for an hour, They need to FEEL with and for you.

• Student suicide in school

I feel like talking about suicide can help several people and kids around the world. It can be a sensitive because people have had it happen to them and they've been through it but if the think of it, It could help several kids who have suicide on their mind

• Depends On The Age

I think that they shouldn't be talking until grade 6. I think that later they will get more stressed about work and that is when they need this lesson or something like this. If teachers talk about it before grade 6, I think they might just be curious about it or have more questions. If they talk about it when stress is going to almost overtake their mind, They might understand it and won't ask silly questions.

• Yes if it had been talked about then I wouldn’t have attempted it

In schools nowadays there seems to be a stigma surrounding suicide, depression and self harm. People who feel certain ways are looked upon as strange or some suicidal weird guy. You don’t feel as if there is any support or anything. People joke about it and do not realise that anybody - that person laughing at what you said, that person smiling over there - could be feeling that way, and children talking like that because of a lack of education. It needs to be talked about, but it shouldn’t be a clinical, following a programme talk. It should be an open discussion where people share their views and experiences and make it seem like a human thing that people care about instead of something that only professional people care about. In conclusion we should talk about it to break the stigma and educate people on how it feels, but it shouldn’t be treated as something which should be treated like a procedure.

• Yes it should be taught in schools ffs.

To help people learn to stop making children make them feel like they need to hurt themselves as people can make children worthless. Also, children are very vunreable and need guidance and pupils shouldn't laugh at them and call them attention seekers. It is fucking dumb. And we should teach our students to learn that self harm is normal and we shouldnt doubt their actions and say their dumb, but help them. Self harm and suicide is a fucking serious topic, so we should learn our students to see the signs of a self harmer, depressed or suicidal person, help them, make them feel like they aren't worthless and help them. Teach our kids to stop being bitches and care about others, we are all human beings ffs.

• Yes needs to be talked about

I have these issues and i kissed a blade to my skin and i know how if feels to have no one there maybe if my high school talked more about maybe we would of had one of us kill them selves schools need to make sure kid know that they are here for them

• No, suicide and self-harm should not be considered part of the general subject matter in schools

Suicide and self-harm should not be considered part of the general subject matter in schools. Including such subject matter as a general part of schools' curriculum would seem to place a lot of responsibility of the children in the hands of school officials. Such subject matter would seem to be more appropriately discussed between a parent or parents and a child. Yes, school officials spend a significant portion of time with students, something to be kept in mind. However, where does the line end at school officials educating children and raising them.

• It's NOT a good idea!

There are people in schools, Such as myself, Who just can't sit here and listen to stuff like this, Maybe they lost someone to suicide or like me have tried it and just can't handle talking about it. If anything ASK a student if they want to go to these programs not forcing it!

• Not to 11/ 12 year olds!

It’s just became apparent that my 12 year old daughter has started cutting herself. Only 6 mths ago she was at junior school and was thriving. She got taught about self harming at her new senior school and then started doing it. I’m 100% sure she would of never even thought about it or known about it before that lesson. As far as I see she has learnt a method of expressing herself and gaining attention from being taught this as she tells me she started doing it after learning about it! The schools are supposed to be safeguarding the children, not putting stupid ideas in their heads at such a young and impressionable age.

• It's too heavy a topic.

Suicide is a very heavy topic, and it should be left up to parents to talk to their children about. I wouldn't feel comfortable with just any homeroom teacher talking to my kids about suicide. In large classrooms like we have today, the topic would be brought up, brushed over, and leave kids more confused then ever! I also feel that introducing the idea of suicide might glorify it and make kids more likely to harm themselves.

• Teens are assholes

As a cutter myself, I understand the need for proper education on serious things like this. Notice I said proper education. I'm currently a seventh grade student. During drug and alcohol education, I looked around at the class and only about 10% cared about what was being said. A class on self harm and suicide would do nothing because barely anyone cares. All it would is shame the self harmers into harming themselves worse. Now maybe if a specific student had issues then teachers should discuss the issues to the class or to their friends but without any specific reason, they won't care.

• We have better things to talk about!

The reality in most schools is that the majority of students are healthy and 'normal'. Suicide remains a very rare event in the life of most schools. However, mental health difficulties are relatively more common. The key messages we need to be promoting relate to positive mental health interventions and help seeking. Rather than discussing suicide, let's discuss depression and anxiety; let's discuss how to help a school mate who is feeling down or having a tough time; let's discuss how to get access to counselling services; let's discuss online help for mental health problems; let's discuss how we can train staff better to recognize depressed students; let's discuss strengths and positive psychology; let's discuss positive coping strategies and good stress management; let's discuss effective anti-bullying practices; let's discuss really good drug and alcohol education; let's discuss helping kids cope with gender identity; let's discuss promoting positive parenting practices. By doing all these things, we are doing really good suicide and self -harm prevention but without the risk of inadvertently promoting what we don't want to promote. Of course, I fully recognise that in the relatively fewer schools where there is a significantly greater risk of suicide (ie, very low SES; large number of kids exposed to trauma; high percentage of kids with known mental health problems) there may be more of a need to more openly discuss suicide and self harm.

• It could give kids ideas

If self harm and suicide was mentioned in school then the kids who do self harm would get nervous , worried that they might check ask questions to everyone . And if suicide was mentioned and there was a kid that didn't know what to do and in school they started talking about suicide then they might do it . Talking about self harm and suicide should no be allowed UNLESS a student or staff has kill them self and has to explained what has happened they need to lay a smack down in bullying not self harm and suicide