Should teen drivers licenses be tied to school attendance or grades?

Asked by: Fanny
  • It reflects responsibility

If someone was regularly skipping school than obviously he/she does not have enough responsibility to be trusted with a car.
    Why is that?
    Well that is because going to class is a part of the school rules and if someone is skipping and/or disregarding school rules then he probably has a disregard for rules in general and why would you hand over responsibility to someone who has not earned it.

• Yes because it affects others

As a student I have experienced students who clearly do not care about their school work, Which distracts other students in the class. Having a student not paying attention when getting called on to read or answer a question holds back other students who are engaged. You would care about your grades more if your license was on the line

• Yes it does

Irresponsibility it the leading cause of teen accidents. If you cant be responsible in class then what makes you think you will be responsible on the road. Think about it, it is common sense. If you cant get to class on time and keep your grades up then you shouldn't be driving

• Teen drivers licences should be tied to school attendance and grades.

If someone is not responsible enough to have good grades, do there homework, or turn things in on time, then how do you think that they are going to be responsible enough to fill there gas tank every time it is empty or even show up at court when they get a ticket. If they forget to turn things in on time then they might forget to leave there house with there licence. If they are not going to follow the rules of the school, then what makes you think that they will follow the rules of the road.

• Teen drivers licences should be tied to school attendance or grades

Teen drivers should not drive if they do not come to school on time. Coming to school on time is a rule in school, and if you are not following the rules in school. What makes you think that they will follow the rules on the road. That sis why teen drivers licences should be tied to school attendance and grades.

• Yes, it should

Driving is a privelage and a responsibility, if you cannot show responsibility in your class work then how are you responsible on the road. Driving is a privelage that can be taken away not a right. .............................. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

• Read this because u will learn

If someone is skipping school obviously they are using their car to go places. So if parents take advantage they would take away their car so they won't be able to go anywhere and teachers will have to keep them at school. Teens should go to school first and drive afterward to keep them at school.

• Yes because of responsibility

Driving is a privilege like I said so before and kids who drive in cars without rules and responsibility (which is taught throughout school) is stupid! How would you feel if you were a teen who skipped school for no reason and caused someone to die because of you being irresponsible A.K.A STUPID!!!

• Uh yes because...

Driving is not a right it is a privilege and if you can't be trusted in academics you shouldn't be trusted at all because it is very dangerous and it is one of the leading causes of death for teens and why should you drive if you don't have respnsibility

• No because i said so

Because I said so and I am always right and that's all the reason you need so everyone will agree with me because I am amazing and better that all of you so you better agree with me because I am right ok? Deal with it or else you will eat some rotten cake with barf green frosting

• Stupidity at its worst what's school have to do with driving

High school dropouts may actually need a car to go to work or deal with family issues. Driving and school are not related. Also what happens to the mvr if those whose license are revoked for dropping out? This nonsense like suspending licenses for child support and drugs must stop

• They should not.

People drop out, and have bad grades for many reasons. It doesn't directly effect how they drive. If they drop out they will need a car to get to their job, or if they have bad grades, they may still need a car to get around. Grades have nothing to do with driving or safety on the road.

• They should have nothing to do with one other.

A few years ago, when my son was 16 and wanted to apply for his driver's permit, we were sent home by the DMV due to the fact that I was lacking his Certificate Of Attendance form. The closest DMV is not around the corner so needless to say I wasn't happy. In fact, I was pissed! I had never heard of the government getting involved in whether people drove cars or not and I completely did not agree with it. I am now going through this with my second son and once again have to go through the inconvenience of having to find the form, fill it out, find someone to notarize it, and add it to all the other crap load of paperwork that I need to "remember" to bring to the DMV. It almost seems like they want the blood of your unborn child to be able to drive a car! I really don't see how driving a car at a legal age has anything to do with attendance at school. If they become truent, then I believe that is breaking the law and therefor entitles government involvement. But not in driving a car. There should be no connection. I'll have to research when this law cam into effect. Never knew about it!

• Didn't make the grade...

Virginia was the first state to try this new attempt of raising attendance and grades for students to provide them with the opportunities that a high school education can offer, but it's effectiveness dropped back to 0 over time. One in four students before this law would drop out of school, and when it was put into order, the numbers dropped positively. So what is the issue? More attendance was what the goal was, and that's what they got at the beginning! Along with the Drivers License revocation rules many others were put together in a group of other attempts, meaning that tracking the individual success of the afore said law was not reliable because of the other acts put into place. Also, over time the dropout rate sank back very near the 1 of 4 ratio. Therefor driving privileges and school attendance are not the duo needed to improve students success in their post graduation life, which was the target of the initial bill.

• I do not agree.

The responsibility that comes with driving cannot be determined by just good grades.
    To begin with, a lot of people have been taught to take tests, not learn. According to the Council of the Great City Schools, the average amount of time spent testing in just eighth grade is a little more than twenty-five hours in the school year. Instead of taking the time to actually learn, the students pour information into their heads, spit it out for test, and then they forget it all.
    Second, people are not necessarily more intelligent or responsible based on if they get good grades or not. Einstein was expelled from school. Thomas Edison, Benjamin Franklin, and Walt Disney were drop-out students. Neither Isaac Newton nor Winston Churchill were considered intelligent by the school. All of these people became great scientists, inventors, scholars, and speakers. But not by the school’s standards.
    Last, even if the only people driving have good grades, that will not stop accidents from happening. Bad things happen to even the most intelligent and responsible people.
    Some might say students may rise to the occasion and work hard enough to get good grades if they want it badly enough. Others think if you cannot be trusted with good grades, you should not be trusted with driving. However, in a school system, there will always be people with different grades, whether good or bad, because of the bell curve.
    Grades cannot define who a person is. Responsibility and grades do not always go hand in hand. Besides, what if someone misses school because of health problems?

• Completely unrelated from each other

Certain people need driving for certain reasons and they cannot assume that it is not nessecary even though to most it is. Don't argue and stop being ignorant. You will see that it does not do anything after everything you try to take away. I don't have anymore words to fill

• Driving and School are not related.

I believe that grades/attendance should not be associated with the ability to get/maintain a driver's license. They are not related, and you do not need one for the other, or vice versa. Several people I know are great drivers, but do not necessarily have the grades though. Attendance could be low for several reasons, especially medical. I think that they should not be linked together, not now, and not anytime in the future. It will simply just ruin people's lives more than benefiting others.

• No, thats ridiculous

If kids are struggling, they should not be punished even more. I don't know if you realize this, but some students are actually trying, but they may not be good at learning certain things. Also, a driver's license is between an individual teenager and the state, so school boards shouldn't be able to determine whether a young person gets to drive. Also, some kids have to miss school for important things, so stop butting into their personal lives and telling them what they can do. YOu know, if you say that someone can't get a driver's license because they're not good enough, you are just assuming they are not smart enough to drive, even though you don't even learn to drive in school, you learn to do it somewhere else. Anyways, some kids won't even care, so it's not a good punishment. If kids are denied this right, they won't learn responsibility for their lives and others lives. TAKE THAT NOAH

• No NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

No because i said so Because I said so and I am always right and that's all the reason you need so everyone will agree with me because I am amazing and better that all of you so you better agree with me because I am right ok? Deal with it or else you will eat some rotten cake with barf green frosting

• NO, THAT"s RIDICULOUS

>