Should the age for adulthood remain at age 18 or be raised to 20 or 21?

Asked by: Sholay255
  • I choose 18

He reason why I say this because 18 is not a child anymore even though it is still in the teenage years but it does not mean that people should still be treated as children like not be allowed to make their own choices/decisions, be more independent, responsible and do things for themselves, be in a relationship with much older people, have more rights and responsibilities and be encouraged to be adults at this age when I always believe they should. Also 18 is and should always be the acceptable age to be an adult and to do many things in most countries without it increasing to a higher age.

• I think age of 18 is quite the right age

The reason why I say this because 18 is not a child anymore even though it is still in the teenage years but it does not mean that people should still be treated as children like not be allowed to make their own choices/decisions, be more independent, responsible and do things for themselves, be in a relationship with much older people, have more rights and responsibilities and be encouraged to be adults at this age when I always believe they should. Also 18 is and should always be the acceptable age to be an adult and to do many things in most countries without it increasing to a higher age.

• Teenage maturity levels have declined.

I believe that there are certain aspects of life that an 18 year old can not grasp yet. We now live in a world where information is at the tips of our fingers, and because of that, our minds are subjected to the subtext of that information. It's not until after we graduate high school and go out into the "real" world that we truly begin to make decisions for ourselves.

• I think it's a good compromise

A lot of people start thinking they're already adults by age 16 and are already doing things they aren't legally allowed to, like drinking alcohol, etc. They would probably rather lower the age of adulthood. People do mature at different rates, and some people are smarter and more responsible with the choices they make around that age. Just because not all of them are as rational doesn't mean we should punish the good ones for wanting to take on more responsibility or have fun. If they can handle things like an adult can, then they are an adult, regardless of their age. I think 18 is the right age for adulthood. If someone isn't fully an adult yet by then, it gives them time to ease into it.

• Brain development data

In my opinion, eighteen should not be considered the age of adulthood. The biggest reason is that most neuroscientists believe that the brain is fully developed at twenty-five.

Brain development begins from the back of the cortex and ends in the front (the prefrontal cortex). That means that most people under the age of twenty-five do not have completely formed prefrontal cortexes. The prefrontal cortex regulates focusing, complex planning, impulse control, decision-making, personality development, risk management, and organized and logical thinking. Because of this, many people under twenty-five tend to make risky decisions and do not think things through thoroughly. In fact, the U.S. Department of Justice shows that the highest rate of age-specific arrests are those in the age group of sixteen to eighteen. This sadly also goes for violent crime, rape, and robbery, among other things. Therefore, I believe that the age of adulthood should at least be raised to twenty-one or higher.

Of course, I am not undermining the maturity level of eighteen year olds. In fact, I myself just turned nineteen four days ago and would like to be somewhat independent. However, I realize that my brain is not fully developed enough to make critical decisions until I reach my mid-twenties. Therefore, I often seek guidance from my parents and those older than me when making such decisions. And as MitchV stated, maturity is a process. The brain does not jump from non-existent to complete, but rather gradually becomes increasingly complete. In light of this, eighteen year-olds are more mature than they were a year ago, but not mature enough yet to make important decisions completely on their own.

• Depends on the issue.

Maturity is something we slowly grow into. This is well recognized by lawmakers as we have various age restrictions for things like work, sex, alcohol, voting, and driving. Problem is, not everyone matures at the same rate. I think a better solution is to provide people some form of criteria to prove their maturity or earn various abilities as well as various ways to have them taken away.

• Even kids dream to be adults. We should allow them to follow their dreams!

Even kids dream to be adults. We should allow them to follow thier dreams!We asparents believe that kids need the thought of doing what they want, not what everyone else wants them to be. To kids out there reading this belive in you dreams. Never give up. Don't let anyone boss you around.

WCLH01 says2018-03-23T21:04:05.687
If you keep increasing the age then a time will come when a 40 year old will become an adult. To be honest a 16 year old is an adult and it all depends on the maturity of his mind . Physically a 13 year old boy can become an adult And a 9-11 year old girl can also become an adult because they both reached puberty and this was in 1200 A.D and earlier .
>