• Because once you're of age to reproduce, you're fair game.

Once you're of age to reproduce, you should fair game in the dating world. "Kids" younger than that used to take on much more adult rolls years ago, but we're so involved in coddling and sheltering kids these days that they're happy with spewing the "I'm just a kid" excuse well into their 20s. If you're worried about lowering the age limit because they cannot make such "adult decisions" then why is the age of consent 16 or younger in most places? 3 years doesn't make much of a difference to me. They look pretty much the same and damn sure aren't smarter in a lot of cases. We should be striving to prepare kids for these types of decisions earlier on so that they can choose for themselves if they want to engage in such activities. I find most girls will start losing their luster after about 21-30 years old anyways, so lowering age of consent standards will only help girls to find these aggrandized romances they've been so indoctrinated to seek out, and maybe they'll learn that there are more important things to focus on than all the lovey dovey, material romance BS promoted by the media. They'll also be that much more physically desirable for an even longer period of time. BTW I am not a pedophile. Pedophilia involves attraction towards prepubescent children, not young adults. I just happen to prefer my women unspoiled by age and cynicism.

• Yes as long as both families agree. Humans know right from wrong when they are around 7.

They should also have to get a job and work at 13. Americans are just gonna get fatter and lazier and soon this country will start treating people in their mid 20s like children. We need to get back to the way things used to be. Americans are immature because they have terrible parenting. I started working in my dad's shop when I was 8 years old, graduated high school at 16, had save my first 10k (that I earned myself) before my 18th birthday, graduated college at 19, and paid off my home at 29. I also became sexually active at 13, I knew the consequences of my actions because I was made to take more and more care of myself at an early age. Parents now days want to hold their kids hands until they are 30. It's time for Americans to grow up. I'm not saying it's right to prey on the young, but what parents are doing isn't good either, stop sheltering and start letting them be responsible for their own actions.

• 13 Year Olds Are Both Mentally And Physically Mature Enough

13 year olds are both mentally and physically mature to have sex and not get the female party pregnant. Both families should know and agree, and both parties should be using protection. Otherwise, 13 year olds can very well be in love, and if it's an act of love, go ahead!

• Definitely yes, Perhaps 12 even

Teach better sexual education in schools
    But sex should not be something feared.
    You can't put an age on when someone is ready for sex, everyone matures at their own pace
    But a 13 year old is responsible enough to make this desicion.
    Expecially if they learn about safe sex, sti's and pregnancy earlier
    then they can make responsible choices

• The age of consent was the fault of homophobic feminists

The age of consent was raised from 13 to 16 in 1885 in the very same bill that criminalised homosexuality. It was the result of campaigning by puritanical anti-sex feminists who essentially believe that 'All sex is rape'.

13 year olds are mentally perfectly capable of understanding the consequences of their actions to the required level as they have already lived longer than the life expectancy of many animals (e.G. Dogs, cats) most of whom would reproduce at a much younger age.

Not being allowed to have a sexual relationship at a young age can result in an increased risk of lifelong celibacy and failing to have any offspring at all (women have a biological clock, you know). This can of course result in depression and suicide.

• Because, most choldren by the age of 13 have started puberty

Teenagers should be able to have sex because they are bursting balls of hormones and it's like telling toddlers not to right on walls, they are going to do it anyway. If people didn't want teens at that young of an age to do that, then maybe they should stop putting sexual things all over the media.

• 13 year olds are smart enough and mature enough

Most 13 year olds in this generation are incredibly smart and mature, there is 5 kids who go to my school who already took the SATs and got higher scores than most high school students, they were all at the time 7th graders, and I am only 13 (almost 14) and my IQ is 159, Einstein's IQ was only 163.

• 13 for girls 16 for boys

Lets face it, girls mature much faster than boys. Most girls hit puberty between 9 and 11 and typically fully developed by 13 or 14 (not in all cases but most). Buys on the other hand hit puberty between 12 and 13 and don't typical fully develop until 16 to 20. I'll focus on the girls since that's the one that I think should be changed. As I stated about, girls are fully developed at 13. A girl who looks like she is around 19 or 20 is most likely 13 or 14. I can't tell you how many times I have tried to pick up on a girl thinking she was 20 only to find out she is actually 13. This created a potentially dangerous situation for the guy if the girl decides to lie about her age. There a many younger girl that actually like older guys and if willing to lie about their age to get with one could cost jail time for the guy. No guy is going to ask for a girls ID before having sex with her. The fact is that 13 year old girls know what sex is and some even want it and with who should be totally their decision be it with another teenage boy or someone in their 30's.

• Yes it should

Those saying that 13 is still a child are not realizing that at 13 you are a teenager. By then you have hit puberty and are capable of making your own decisions. You fully know what you are doing and should be allowed to have sex if you want to.

• 13 is the perfect age

At 13 girls are young with tight bodies and oozing with sex appeal. Look at any 13 year old girl these days and their hygiene is impeccable. They are mature ans fully capable of making these types of decisions on their own and they should be allowed to without consequence.

• What perv thinks this is ok?

13 year olds ARE CHILDREN. No one in their right mind would think a 13 year old has the emotional maturity to knowingly consent to sexual relations with an adult. 13 years olds should be shielded from predators who want to abuse them this way and anyone who is so delusional as to think that 13 years old is an adult should be punched in the face.

• No, the age of consent should not be lowered to 13.

At the age of thirteen, children still are very immature and don't completely understand the meaning behind their actions. They are too young to be having sex. At that age they are just really staring puberty and they don't understand how to protect themselves. The age of consent should be sixteen or seventeen.

• No Consent At 13

Although A 13 Year Old May Look As Though They Are Capable Of Making Decisions Of This Nature, In Actuality They Are Not And Regret It Later In Life. They Are Too Easily Influenced By Peer Pressure And By The Thought Of The "Act" Of Doing Something "Grown Up". Simply Put, Most Teens At 13 Are Naive And Don't Realize The Gravity Of An Early Pregnancy On Their Future.

• It encourages grooming and abuse

In the UK the age of consent is 16. I believe that this is the right age for the law to stand at. But to think that influential people believe that it should be lowered to 13, it just disgusts me! We cannot let these perverts abuse anymore young children and let them get away with it.

• Cannot give consent

Of course not, how is this even a debate? I was lead to believe that the age in question would be 16, but there's no way a 13 year old can give consent. Consent is the only thing that should matter, and the fact is that those under 16 cannot give it.

• Much too young

13 as the age of consent? I am sorry to say that even 16, in my opinion is a little too young and someone is suggesting to lower it to 13? Please forgive me but I am in total disagreement. 13 is the age where young teens just beginning to understand about responsibility even then, they are in a stage where they can easily be swayed into doing things that are harmful to them. At the age of 13, teenagers shouldn't be worried about sex and the consequence though I support the idea of teaching them in a proper channel about sex, family relations, responsibility and such but not the act of sex itself. Call me old-school or whatever other nasty names that some of you may have for people like me but I strongly believe that teen years are the years where children are transitioning into young adults. And that we as adults should befriend them while teaching them, within reason, the etiquette and proper conduct that will later make them splendid adults.

Adults are supposed to be role models. So how can a teen or a child look up to the adults for guidance in their quest to maneuver through this world when the adults themselves are suggesting things that even teens and children thinks is stupid?

Sorry but for this matter, my answer is a big NO. Children and Teens are meant to be nurtured, protected and taught and not asked such a question about consent for sex.

• 13 is much too young of an age

13 years old. Despite some called it the age of responsibility, perhaps that is not entire true. 13 is the age where children began their transition into adolescents which will later lead to adulthood. It is not the right age for the young one give consent to things as heavy as intimate relationship between a man and a woman. It is the age where these budding young adults just beginning to learn and discover their identities and what drives their passion and talents. Hence, it is actually the adults' responsibility to befriend these teens and teach them the virtues and proper etiquette that will be the foundation of an splendid and well-mannered adult. A teen may ask question but it is the adults' responsibility to at least listen and then explain in a proper manner. And not suggesting what is considered as something quite unnatural.
    This is my honest opinion on this matter and I shall say it once more, my answer to this is a big NO.

P.S: Instead of suggesting things like this, perhaps, it will better to suggest things that can help polish the teens' talents and passions in a positive light.

• That's messed up

Why are there more yes votes than no votes? It makes no sense. This has to be the most messed up thing anyone has ever seen in their lives? Who was the idiot who thought this thing was a good idea. Everyone vote no on this poll so we can save humanity

• This is an outrage

Children at that age has to have boundaries and limitations. They can be taken advantage of. A law like this can give pedophiles and sex offenders a green light to start molesting little girls and boys. If a law like this went into effect, more children could be scarred for life, or better yet, killed.

• Wanting age consent at age 13 or lower= support of pedophilia and teen pregnancy

I'm sorry but really?

Does anyone like shoving their genitals in or on a developing genital and risk harming that developing body?

Does anyone want children at a young age and risk the possibility of having their freedom taken away or have damaged bodies due to childbirth at a young age?

If so, then why?

It seems the Apocalypse is closer and more real than I thought. I fear for humanity's fate.

PathtoWisdom says2021-10-13T17:45:05.727
Most states don't have a minimum age of criminal liability. So they literally think a 14 year old can commit a crime and be tried as an adult, And ackowledge the fact that she/he can make a desicion, But can't decide if he/she wants to be touched or not. That's stupid. I also want to adress the Austin Jones case. The internet celebrity "forced" a teenager to send him her videos while twerking. He forced her, That's wrong. But a 14 year old is both physically and mentally mature enough to make desicions about his/her body. And she made a video about the case, Crying all over the video just for the views in my opinion. She is using Austin for views. And he is in prison. Girl, You were 14, Not 8. Of course it was wrong for him to force her, But the girl is playing dumb for views on You Tube. Austin got 10 years in prison which is really stupid. American laws on age of consent MUST change.