Should the age of sexual consent be raised to 21 because the drinking age is 21?

Asked by: Lato1
  • Yes we need this absolutely!

First of all, this will reduce the amount of risk that a child may commit sexual acts, significantly. This will also reduce unwanted children as somebody else stated on this poll. This will also give children an easier path to college and education. Additionally, this will reduce the amount of excessive social liberalism that many people in the youth experience today, since it's dangerous.

• People are getting married later in life so 21 could make since.

If You make the age of consent 21 it could reduce unwanted Children. It would also make it easier to go through college or start in a career. The risk of a child your not ready to raise is a problem that last a lot longer then a hang over.

• Its scientifically correct

We know the brain doesn't start to cognitively mature until the mid to late 20s so letting people "experiment" just because its "natural" is rather asinine. Its natural for teens to physically fight and commit all manner of crimes and yet sane and rational people don't just blow that off with some excuse about them being young. We shouldn't be recruiting 18 year olds into the military either for this reason, And to be consistent, But of course its too profitable to not be doing that

• Yes it should be

I think that we should have to raise the age of sexual consent to 21 because 21 if the perfect age to have sex ok and yes I think that we should raise the age of consent to 21 for good ok so we should have to absolutely raise the age of sexual consent

• Yes it should be raised

I think that we should have to raise the age of sexual consent from us ok because it would prevent sexual abuse form happening ok and yes I think that we should have to raise the age of sexual consent to 21 like the drinking age to 21 to protect children

• Yes we should

I think that we should raise the age of sexual consent to 21 like the drinking age to 21 ok and yes I think that we should raise the age of consent to age 21 for good because it would benefit from it if we raise the age of consent for good ok

• Yes it should be

I think that we should raise the age of consent ok yes I think that we should raise the age of consent to 21 because 21 is the perfect age to do it ok and yes I think that we should raise the age of consent to 21 for god sake

• Not a single teen should even be doing sex

Most adults aren’t mature enough to handle the consequences of promiscuity and it disgust me to think people of the age of 16 are practicing this. Even worse mature adults are taking advantage of them because they can’t say no to certain stress situations. Having sex isn’t even a form of love it’s a form of reproduction and should be treat as such and relationship should not be formed because of it

• Let’s round it all up.

Considering the actual psychology of teenagers and having been one less than 2 years ago, I’m thinking consent should either be based in our realistic capacity to harbor sexual desire in conjunction with knowledge about the process and its consequences (acquired typically at 16), OR more easily, Based in some realm of science— in that around our 20s, Our brain becomes fully developed.

Why can’t people talk about this? And why do people constantly just sheepishly scream “it’s wrong! ” when they themselves have fucked as a teenager. It most definitely was stupid and dangerous, But are we considering if they can give consent or if that deliverance of consent is a safe decision. Either way. Make it 21. It’s easier, And while your at it, Make it 21 for everything, Driving, Army, All of it. Why can I operate a metal death chariot, But not my own body?

• Creepy its not

The main argument behind drinking age being 21 is because brains aren't fully developed. How can they be developed enough for life altering choice such as sex but not to drink a beer? These so called consent laws were obviously made by men who don't care about actual consequences emotionally or physically that come with sexual relations. They just want to sleep with young women. .

• The drinking age is stupid anyways

No, it shouldn't. A person who's 18 years of age is perfectly capable of making decisions. The drinking age is also an absurd law. You can buy pornography, vote, die for your country, own a house, pay taxes, and have all the responsibilities of an adult, but you can't go to a bar and have a beer?

I understand we need an age for sexual consent, but 18 is fine. There's no reasons to change it.

• Non-sequitur, and may result in more crime.

Firstly, I would like to challenge the OP to explain to me how the age of sexual consent is related to the drinking age enough that they should be equal.

Secondly, if you raise the age at which people can have sex, you are effectively reducing the amount of people that can legally have sex. This could mean that there are more people arrested for sexual acts with minors.

Thirdly, increasing the age of sexual consent means that people will be more pressured not to have sex. This increased pressure will only result in increased levels of sexual stress which may be harmful to students who want to express their sexuality with their partners. Such increased stress may lead to additional cases of rape and molestation.

Fourthly, this would harm the porn industry, as there would be less people available to act in pornographic scenes. Lewd scenes depicting people under the age of 21 would be reduced to masturbation and strip teases only.

Therefore, the age of sexual consent should not be increased. Not to 21, or any other age for that matter.

• But to buy guns should absolutely be raised to 21! I'm 45 and can't ignore biology sorry.

Prisons are already filled with juvi lifers without parole in spite of Miller vs Alabama and judges refuse to give them a chance. Also at what point does it stop? Keep raising the ages and he courts will be more overflowed and all the cases will end in hung juries due to voir dire... Excuse parents but keep on single males on juries.

• Bodily choice is prime, abolish age of consent

I saw a case of two thirteen year olds being charged with statutory rape for having sex with one another.

I have seen various cases of people dating, having consensual relations, and then because one of the people had a birthday, their actions become illegal. Again, nonsensical scenarios, so we need to go about this in a smarter way.

We need to strengthen laws around consent from a functional standpoint, and hammer down on cases where it is abuse of power, not set some arbitrary line where kids can be prosecuted for doing the stupid things kids do. If we focus instead on the nature of what makes sex for the underage wrong, I think we would be a lot better off.

In all cases, an adult having sex with a minor is wrong. It is not the arbitrary age that is the factor, though. It is the predatory actions, the grooming, the taking advantage of a vulnerable person, that is the problem.

As well, this removes the stupid aspect of the law where you are basically telling a person what they can and can't do with their own body. The young need to be protected, but there has to be a better way than an arbitrary line in the sand.

• 18 is too high in on itself.

A lot of people think lowering the age of consent will increase teen pregnancy while the US (one of the only countries in the developed world to have it as high as 18) has the highest teen pregnancy rate in the first world. The average age of consent among western countries is 16 years old. Where are all the news stories about how were so much better at keeping our kids from getting pregnant than these other first world countries? Germany's teen pregnancy rate is about a third or a quarter of ours and there age of consent is 14! They are one of the most educated countries in the world with a 0.884 out of 1in the education index as of 2013.

• Why the difference exists.

The drinking age three years past when a person is in the real world has a more clear etiology. During prohibition no one was allowed alcohol. This was per Constitutional amendment. Probably the only way the Federal Government had around the extant Tenth Amendment. While subsidized Higher Education has followed an increased trajectory, actual public education ends about 18 (although roughly 75% change age during the American school year). The workforce would not function as we know it since a person over 21 should wisely refuse to drive alone with an 18 to 20 year old co-working.

• Minors can still legally have sex.

In all states minors can still legally have sex with one another and in a lot of states minors can legally have sex with people at or above the age of consent as long as they are within a few years of their age. I live in Tennessee, and here a person at or above the age of consent can legally have sex with a minor as long as they are within four years of their age.

• People underage can still have sex legally

In all states minors can still legally have sex with other minors and sometimes even with people at or over the age of consent as long as they're within a certain amount of years of there age. For example, I live in Tennessee, and here the age of consent is 18, but you can legally have sex with a minor as long as they're within four years of your age.

• You're legal, its your body , do what you want.

As of the age of 18 you are legally an adult, therefore you can do as you please without harming anyone. If the government says that you're old enough to support yourself, go to college, and pay taxes you should be able to be sexually active without getting in trouble. I also think that the same should go for drinking, considering that you can legally make decisions for yourself.

• They're either adults or they're not.

Assuming we're talking about the same concept here, you need to be an adult to be able to give informed consent *for anything*, barring exceptional cases dependent upon the person and not what it is you're consenting to.
    Assuming that you somehow aren't able to be 'properly' considered an adult at 21, then ALL laws need to account for this. That means no moving out of home (without becoming emancipated), no buying or looking at porn, no voting, no owning your own private property, no enlisting in the military, and no paying taxes as though you were an adult.
    The people we're talking about are either capable of making decisions like whether they drink, have sex, join the military or vote, or they aren't. There is no compelling reason to believe that 'adulthood' REALLY begins at 21 rather than 18, and so no reason for age of consent laws to try saying that.
    Just personally, I think the drinking age of 21 in the US is ridiculous, and I don't exactly think that's a very good watermark to be comparing anything else to.

xmen808 says2021-07-21T02:18:05.213
*Laughs in Canadian*. 18 is the age of adulthood for everything where I am from (Alberta, Canada). When I turned 18, I gained the right to vote, Get married, Buy alcohol, Buy cigarettes and marijuana, Gamble, Get a firearms license, And even joined the armed forces. I am 19, I am adult, And that means I should be able to consent. Perhaps, The US should lower the drinking age.