Should the age of sexual consent be raised to 21 because the drinking age is 21?

Asked by: Lato1
  • Yes we need this absolutely!

First of all, this will reduce the amount of risk that a child may commit sexual acts, significantly. This will also reduce unwanted children as somebody else stated on this poll. This will also give children an easier path to college and education. Additionally, this will reduce the amount of excessive social liberalism that many people in the youth experience today, since it's dangerous.

• People are getting married later in life so 21 could make since.

If You make the age of consent 21 it could reduce unwanted Children. It would also make it easier to go through college or start in a career. The risk of a child your not ready to raise is a problem that last a lot longer then a hang over.

• Its scientifically correct

We know the brain doesn't start to cognitively mature until the mid to late 20s so letting people "experiment" just because its "natural" is rather asinine. Its natural for teens to physically fight and commit all manner of crimes and yet sane and rational people don't just blow that off with some excuse about them being young. We shouldn't be recruiting 18 year olds into the military either for this reason, And to be consistent, But of course its too profitable to not be doing that

• Yes it should be

I think that we should have to raise the age of sexual consent to 21 because 21 if the perfect age to have sex ok and yes I think that we should raise the age of consent to 21 for good ok so we should have to absolutely raise the age of sexual consent

• Yes it should be raised

I think that we should have to raise the age of sexual consent from us ok because it would prevent sexual abuse form happening ok and yes I think that we should have to raise the age of sexual consent to 21 like the drinking age to 21 to protect children

• Yes we should

I think that we should raise the age of sexual consent to 21 like the drinking age to 21 ok and yes I think that we should raise the age of consent to age 21 for good because it would benefit from it if we raise the age of consent for good ok

• Yes it should be

I think that we should raise the age of consent ok yes I think that we should raise the age of consent to 21 because 21 is the perfect age to do it ok and yes I think that we should raise the age of consent to 21 for god sake

• Not a single teen should even be doing sex

Most adults aren’t mature enough to handle the consequences of promiscuity and it disgust me to think people of the age of 16 are practicing this. Even worse mature adults are taking advantage of them because they can’t say no to certain stress situations. Having sex isn’t even a form of love it’s a form of reproduction and should be treat as such and relationship should not be formed because of it

• Let’s round it all up.

Considering the actual psychology of teenagers and having been one less than 2 years ago, I’m thinking consent should either be based in our realistic capacity to harbor sexual desire in conjunction with knowledge about the process and its consequences (acquired typically at 16), OR more easily, Based in some realm of science— in that around our 20s, Our brain becomes fully developed.

Why can’t people talk about this? And why do people constantly just sheepishly scream “it’s wrong! ” when they themselves have fucked as a teenager. It most definitely was stupid and dangerous, But are we considering if they can give consent or if that deliverance of consent is a safe decision. Either way. Make it 21. It’s easier, And while your at it, Make it 21 for everything, Driving, Army, All of it. Why can I operate a metal death chariot, But not my own body?

• Creepy its not

The main argument behind drinking age being 21 is because brains aren't fully developed. How can they be developed enough for life altering choice such as sex but not to drink a beer? These so called consent laws were obviously made by men who don't care about actual consequences emotionally or physically that come with sexual relations. They just want to sleep with young women. .

• You people are delusional

Old enough to consent to student loans. Old enough to swear the oath to join the military or become a citizen. Old enough to operate a motor vehicle and old enough to work full-time.

Still not old enough to consent to sex.

See how ridiculous this argument is? Age of consent is a feminist attempt to exclude young women in the dating market as it is; a blatant attempt to legislate based on "morality" in a nation with a theoretical separation of Church and state. If any such law is ever passed I wouldn't be living in that state/nation much longer.

• Old enough to fight in the military, Old enough to have sex

Also think that you should be old to drink alcohol if you are old enough to fight in the military. Being in the military is one of the most dangerous jobs. You are basically risking your life to serve their country. If you are old enough to be in the military, You should be old enough to do everything. Unfortunately that’s not how society is in the US.

• Restrictions on US

You're trying to take away rights from us at 18 I am legally an adult I can vote, I can go to the military, And most importantly I can live alone. So you're trying to say even if I'm in my own house and I'm 20 years old I still can't consent to sex. This is one of the most outrageous changes I've heard in a long time. They've already changed the federal law for people smoking we have to be 21. Why are you taking things away from us? It is not stable and rape will be claimed a lot more by this becoming a law. Just putting an example out there say I'm 19 because I am; I see a 26 year old at a bar and we go back to my house and both consent to sex. I wake up the next morning and say hmmm I didn't like it very much I I could tell an officer and she would be a statutory rapist. It is a bad idea to do this maybe in the future with the way the world is going this will become a law but in 2020 no. Next thing you know they're going to ban sex until we have a stable job 2 cars and a house more than half of kids are not planned yet you say they shouldn't be alive because their "unwanted" no. You're trying to take our rights away and I do not agree with it many more feel the same.

• This is some of the funniest shit I've ever read

Only older women would be in favour of something so unbelievably nonsensical. Most girls are already experimenting sexually when they're like 13/14 and by the time they're 16/17 have already lost their virginity. Age of consent is a completely made-up concept to give women in their late-20's and beyond a little bit more bargaining power in the sexual marketplace. I can practically smell the crow's feet emanating from the "Yes" section lmao

• Bad for families

Raising the age of consent to 21 robs women of their best years for birthing healthy children. Honestly the better option would be to lower the age to around 16 and criminalize sex outside of marriage. Men's sexual value peaks in his 30s after he is established and women's sexual value peaks as early as she is fertile and can healthily birth a child due to hip size. Anything else is literally damaging humanity at a genetic level to allow businesses to make more money by putting women to work instead of allowing them to be home makers.

• What non sense

Most if not all the yes votes come from women, I'd bet the farm on it. The only reason to be in favor of voting yes is that OLDer women are seething at the fact the men want YOUNGer women. So what is their choice? Raise the age so they have less competition. Prove me wrong. PRO TIP: YOU CAN'T

• Hell f@$king no!

You will create a whole new class of "sex offenders" and fake "pedophiles". A 22 year old who has sex with a 20 year old would go to prison and be labeled a "sex offender" and "pedophile". This would be the most stupid law. I cannot believe how many people voted yes. Educate people on proper birth control and STD prevention. In the U. S. The age of consent is 16, 17 or 18 depending on the state. I think it should be 16 everywhere. Also the drinking age should be lowered to 18 also and even 16 if you drink under the supervision of your parents or guardians.

• But to buy guns should absolutely be raised to 21! I'm 45 and can't ignore biology sorry.

Prisons are already filled with juvi lifers without parole in spite of Miller vs Alabama and judges refuse to give them a chance. Also at what point does it stop? Keep raising the ages and he courts will be more overflowed and all the cases will end in hung juries due to voir dire... Excuse parents but keep on single males on juries.

• Bodily choice is prime, abolish age of consent

I saw a case of two thirteen year olds being charged with statutory rape for having sex with one another.

I have seen various cases of people dating, having consensual relations, and then because one of the people had a birthday, their actions become illegal. Again, nonsensical scenarios, so we need to go about this in a smarter way.

We need to strengthen laws around consent from a functional standpoint, and hammer down on cases where it is abuse of power, not set some arbitrary line where kids can be prosecuted for doing the stupid things kids do. If we focus instead on the nature of what makes sex for the underage wrong, I think we would be a lot better off.

In all cases, an adult having sex with a minor is wrong. It is not the arbitrary age that is the factor, though. It is the predatory actions, the grooming, the taking advantage of a vulnerable person, that is the problem.

As well, this removes the stupid aspect of the law where you are basically telling a person what they can and can't do with their own body. The young need to be protected, but there has to be a better way than an arbitrary line in the sand.

• 18 is too high in on itself.

A lot of people think lowering the age of consent will increase teen pregnancy while the US (one of the only countries in the developed world to have it as high as 18) has the highest teen pregnancy rate in the first world. The average age of consent among western countries is 16 years old. Where are all the news stories about how were so much better at keeping our kids from getting pregnant than these other first world countries? Germany's teen pregnancy rate is about a third or a quarter of ours and there age of consent is 14! They are one of the most educated countries in the world with a 0.884 out of 1in the education index as of 2013.

xmen808 says2021-07-21T02:18:05.213
*Laughs in Canadian*. 18 is the age of adulthood for everything where I am from (Alberta, Canada). When I turned 18, I gained the right to vote, Get married, Buy alcohol, Buy cigarettes and marijuana, Gamble, Get a firearms license, And even joined the armed forces. I am 19, I am adult, And that means I should be able to consent. Perhaps, The US should lower the drinking age.