Should the government be allowed to monitor social media?

Asked by: dabeast5764
  • There are a couple of reasons

First of all, if you put something on the Internet it can be viewed by anyone who really wants to. It's not just the government. If you don't want your personal information getting out somewhere, it's perfectly fine not to have a social media account. There are lots of things one can do outside of Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and so on.

Second of all, the government monitors Internet to flag potential threats. Obviousl there aren't nearly enough people in the government to spy on each individual person. Instead, if you post something like "I'm going to blow up the airport" it'll be flagged, in fact this probably got read by someone in the government. When they see it has nothing to do with an intention of blowing up an airport but simply serving as an example, it gets unflagged and they don't spy on me . If it's in the context of someone who looks like they may legitimately be a threat (even someone threatening in a way maybe commonly viewed as threatening wouldn't be look at as legitimately threatening by them) then they actually start "spying." However, this is legitimately used for the safety of America not for the simple pleasure of spying.

• I'd prefer government monitor it as opposed to...

Our jobs, most of which are already monitoring our social media posts, even some that you think are private. If you've got a corporate job, and logged in on their internet? They have your password via keylogger. If they are not quite that sophisticated, Many bosses befriend their employees online under other identities and will personalize anything you post, jump to conclusions, judge you for the dumb comments of friends, and so on. The government? Used to our opinions, maybe will act if something seems really really "off". Think its more alarming if you did NOT drink on spring break. Also less likely to gossip and derail your career.

• People who get on the internet and tell people to die must be caught

If you cant say something nice to someone don't say anything at all. People hide behind screens but don't have the courage to say something to another persons face you don't have the right to judge people for stuff not a lot of people can control like facial features or how people like stuff others don't. If someone is fat you can at least try to help with it don't bully them, help them.

• For the security of country, especially to prevent the potential threats raised by terrorists.

Social media right now provide a great convenience for terrorists to gather their people and gain their financial support, which cause greater danger of whole world and does harm to the world peace. Government monitor the social media will be able to reduce this kind of possibility to a great extent.

• Shut off Facebook and say it to my face

Have the guts to say your opinions to peoples face and stop hiding behind social media. Stop cyber bullying. Proven that terrorist use Facebook let the govt monitor. If you are not saying or doing anything wrong what difference does it matter if the govt knows? What will happen if Facebook shuts down ? Nothing life goes on.

• Everything can be seen by anybody anyway.

Monitor just means observe or watch, so all they would be doing is looking at what you do, they cannot change or block anything you do so it would not violate any freedoms. In addition, it only says social media so they would be observing what literally anybody else can anyway, so there is no difference.

• The government should be allowed to monitor social media?

It has been proven that the government and its agencies have already been spying on us through social media for many years. The NSA is spying on its own people that have been here for a long time and love the country they live in. “We assume as Americans that if somebody in the government is looking at your information, it's because they have a reason” (Karen GreenBerg, director of the Center of National Security at Fordham Law School). The evidence provided here show that people who work for government agencies are spying on people through social media to keep the people in check, and to make sure there are no threats to the country and its people. To conclude, this show that people that people have been spied on for many years and have had access to social media to watch you when you are on the web.

• What if The Truth Was

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Anal is the answer - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - -

• No, They should not!

When I was in 7th grade my mom always checked my phone. I remember how annoyed I would get, I wanted my stuff to be private. I'm sure others here have gone through the same thing or something similar. Now imagine instead of your parent or guardian going through your stuff its the government. Umm can I say embarrassing or what? I, Personally, Don't think the government should regulate social media. That is my space, That's private, Not to mention that's plain uncomfortable, And on top of that it violates the constitution.

• No, They should not!

• Just simple privacy

I would have said originally before coming here that most people would want to remain hidden in all their affairs online but judging from this debate it turns out that most people actually want to be spied on. Furthermore the self-conscious people that use the internet as a way to escape from the world and the way they are perceived would lose and and may even feel more self conscious due to the government probably knowing more than they could reveal to a normal person by speaking to them. As much as people would end up feeling more secure in general with the government always watching, the stuff you want to share with only your best friends would cease to be a secret due to the government knowing about it.

• People will be VERY uncomfortable

Everyone loves being able to go on their phones or computers as a way to escape their regular lives. If the government was then able to watch everything that we do, we could become self conscious of what we do on the internet and we will also be afraid if the government thinks that we are doing something bad. The internet is a fair and enjoyable place where everyone doesn't have to hide who they are, no one really judges people because they don't really know them, so if someone is always watching us, we would lose that aspect of the internet.

• It is our privacy.

I do not want anybody to see my private stuff in my computer. Even if there is cyber bullying, or sending inappropriate images, nobody could just check your computer without permission. Internet is also private, so nobody can just see your computer. It is also kind of creepy I do

• Lol lol lol

Y The only problem I had was the app crashes and the game crashes and crashes when you get the same message to me and you can't get to a page or something to play on game of thrones and I am so proud to say I have to be a little bit more than a little more time than I am now and I am not sure what to do

• No they shouldn't

In Canada we have the freedom of speech. That's one of our rights. Therefore the government cannot take it away. Other than that lots of people like to watch porn and I don't think they want everyone to know. I don't think the government should be allowed to block websites we visit and people we follow

• No the should not

If the government monitors what we say that will defeat the purpose of our first amendment which is freedom of speech. People should be able to voice there opinion without being worried about whether they will b judged for doing so. Everyone deserves privacy and should be able to freely express themselves

• No, they shouldn't monitor it

It denies us our right of freedom of speech, we can say what we want without getting prosecuted so why bother doing anything? The govt. Needs to have a reason to look at our accounts, not just look at everyone's account b/c of a few people. The govt. Protects us and our privacy, but they don't need to monitor it, they need to stop people from monitoring us.

• No they should not be allowed to monitor social media.

The government should not be allowed to monitor social media as it begins to form a scare tactic of those afraid that they will be prosecuted for voicing their opinions. This is an indirect violation of the constitution, that allows all people to speak freely without free of being prosecuted.

Bullrider22 says2016-05-22T18:15:38.127
One of the benefits given by restricting what is posted is that we can stop people from getting influenced to join ISIS and other terrorist organizations. CIA Director John Brennan says that the interconnected technology of today “help groups similar to ISIS coordinate operations, attract new recruits, disseminate propaganda and inspire sympathizers across the globe . . . A lone extremist can go online and learn how to carry out an attack without ever leaving home.” Since this permits them to extend, do remote attacks, and stay organized out, it has gotten to be harder to dissemble terrorist groups. The extreme nature of ISIS is why the government should control social media.
(http://fordhampoliticalreview.Org/how-isis-recruits-through-social-media/)
Bullrider22 says2016-05-22T18:15:49.327
>