Should the government censor hate speech on social media?

• Yes they should

To a certain degree, there should be some censorship. With the growing platform of social media and how much power a single person has on social media, this gives an extreme amount of freedom to any author who has an internet connection to say anything and to even start groups that have the same beliefs. I believe in and support free speech and the right to form groups based on beliefs, but when it comes to hateful and disrespectful speech there must be a line drawn, especially on such a broad platform

• No, they shouldn't.

No it shouldn’t be censored 🤬 I say this because then it would be defying freedom of speech hate speech isn’t good of course it isn’t but if I can handle hate speech then others should be able to handle hate speech that is why the government should not be able to censor hate speec

• Hate speech is extremely dangerous, and should be censored.

More and more social media is being used for cyber bulling. Some shocking statistics from Cyberbullyhotlin.Com is "
    81% of teens say bullying online is easier to get away with
    3 million kids per month are absent from school due to bullying
    20% of kids cyberbullied think about suicide, and 1 in 10 attempt it.
    4500 kids commit suicide each year" The government should censor the hate speech because these statistics are scary. If social media continues being completely free to say anything, they will only go up. On http://nobullying.com/six-unforgettable-cyber-bullying-cases/. The very first story tells of a young boy who commits suicide because of cyber bulling, and none of the bullies received consequences. Because it is protected stories like this are happening more and more. The government should censor this hate speech.

• Absolutely They Should

Hate is a terrible thing. It hurts and it can be stressful. When you receive it (especially from a friend) it can make you seem worthless. It can even make you want to commit suicide! It is also another way to bullying. And no one loves to get bullied. So I think they should censor hateful things of social media

• Yes, they should.

To a certain degree, there should be some censorship. With the growing platform of social media and how much power a single person has on social media, this gives an extreme amount of freedom to any author who has an internet connection to say anything and to even start groups that have the same beliefs. I believe in and support free speech and the right to form groups based on beliefs, but when it comes to hateful and disrespectful speech there must be a line drawn, especially on such a broad platform.

• Yes, to a point they should censor vulgarity.

The government should protect young ears from hearing hate speech that goes along the routes of this nation so easily. They should not, however, prohibit it from television no matter what. There should be another channel on TV or a certain media source that allows these sort of things actively.

• It's ridiculous. Really.

"Hate" is an emotion. It's subjective. What one person hates is something another person loves - like with food. There is no objective way to identify and block "hate" on social media, and it certainly is NOT the place of the Government to regulate. A ban on social media "hate speech" by the Government is really a barrier to entry that new social platforms must pass. It's anticompetitive!

• The government should not control everything we do

I believe that people should have the right to say what they want if what somebody is saying really is hate speech then they will get judged for it. Also how do we know that the government will be responsible with this I mean what if they just consider something minor hate speech

• No it shouldn’t be censored 🤬

I say this because then it would be defying freedom of speech hate speech isn’t good of course it isn’t but if I can handle hate speech then others should be able to handle hate speech that is why the government should not be able to censor hate speech. 👍

• No, they shouldn't.

I, myself believe that they shouldn't censor hate speech on social media. The reason why is because the internet should be open and shouldn't be censored. I'm not saying that hate speech is good, but people should be free to use it. Nothing in this country should be censored, there is no reason why the government should censor hate speech, or anything.

• No the government shouldent

I think that hate speech is a form of artistic protest no matter how violent, because a lot of the time hate speech is used in dire situations, and not in causal arguments. An example of hate speech being necessary is during the american civil war, without hate speech the war may never had started and slaves would still be legal in the US, because the caucasians wouldn't have had the right to protest slavery without consequences, and the government would have remained the same thus allowing slavery today.

• No they shouldn't ban hate speech

• No they shouldn't

I believe that the government should not censored hate speech. I don't agree with hate speech,however people should have a right to speak their mind, because the first amendment protects freedom of speech. I think that they have a right as american citizens to be able to use hate speech on social media.

• No the government shouldn't,

I think the government should not censor social media because we have the freedom of speech we may say anything we want true or not true, but we may not do, meaning do not hurt anyone physically/causing it . Plus its away to express our opinion, censor that then whom we must tell? Also censor social media then we aren't that free because we wont get to express our opinion nor will we have our rights!

• No abousloutly not because it isent fair that the goverment does not let you speak about what you think.

What I mean is its not fair because its like if you where gonna vote and they tell to vote for somthing else its just not fair.So yeah thats what i mean that isent fair its like you dont even have a choice that you wanted to pick,so yeah it is a no.

• This shouldn't happen,

I believe that hate speech should not be censored because most people want to speak their minds about a certain topic. Some topics could be talking about people who might have hurt their feelings. Also this can also occur to violence going on around the world , even about our presidents and what they say. And this is why hate speech should not be censored.

>