• Individuals are not fulfilling their purpose without working towards a common good with other individuals.

Individuals do not live in a vacuum, Nor are they the basic unit of society. Individuals can only be biologically conceived because of a relation between two others. Individuals can only become psychologically, Emotionally, And intellectually mature with much labor from other individuals in relation to them (i. E. A mother fulfills a unique role in childhood development, A father fulfills a unique role in childhood development, Peers fulfill a unique role in childhood development, Etc. ). Any lack of, Breakdown of, Or unhealthy one of these relations is problematic, Simply from the standpoint of an individual becoming a mature adult.

To think then that mature individuals are exempt from the inherent relation-based reality of humanity is ridiculous. While it would seem that technology's advance have given individuals the ability to live without relationships (and technically, It has given individuals the physical and technological ability to do so), It has not given individuals the relational, Mental, Emotional, Or biological ability. Pathologies thrive when any individual is unable—through individual or societal fault—from relating in a healthy way to other individuals.

The basic unit of society is the family, I. E. Individual + relationships. Thus, By extension, There is some level of relationships outside that family that each individual in a family needs simply in order to function within that family as he or she ought.

Thus, Some form of welfare, Or contribution to the common good of other individuals is necessary from the point of view which considers the nature of human beings.

• There should be welfare

There should be welfare because everyone deserves a second chance in life if there were no welfare there would be tons of innocent mothers fathers and children out on the street because the amount of money they were making couldn't support them and anyone who wouldn't want to help an innocent family off the streets is a heartless and empty person on the inside.

• There should be welfare

There should be welfare because every single family and every single person deserves the right at a good meal in their stomachs, a roof over their head, and clothes on their back. Some single parents are trying to work and take care of their children by themselves. They need help. It is our job to help them. The least we could do is pay the taxes and let the government help these people who need their help.

• Nothing wrong with welfare.

People and companies all pay taxes and receive some sort of benefit from the state. Corporations receive bailouts why can't an individual. It's not a place we want to be for long, however if it helps to get a family or a person through a tough period, yes I believe government should provide assistance when needed.

• The government's purpose is to serve the people, therefore it should ensure its citizens are cared for.

Why do we really need a government if it serves no benefit to the people? Do not get me wrong I believe everyone should pull their weight in society and not milk the system just for the sake of it, but for people that have really been through hard times and have no other way to survive welfare is essential.

• Yes they should.

I do believe that the government should provide welfare. Sometimes people are down on their luck and they shouldn't have to be hunting in garbage cans for something to eat. The government spends so much money on needless things that they could spare a little to make sure that poor people eat.

• In a limited sense

There is a difference between welfare and making people dependent on the government. Welfare is often used to buy votes during an election, so it almost always moves in one direction (to be expanded), which is where much of the opposition to the system comes from. Helping people in need is noble; creating a dependence helps nobody.

• The government should provide welfare for its citizens.

The government should provide welfare for its citizens. A government should exist to meet the needs for the needs of the people that pay into to its services. If it does not exist for this purpose, then it is not much of a government at all. Welfare is necessary to help people who are temporarily down on their luck.

• ONLY for those who NEED it.

Welfare is a subject that I tend to debate a lot with certain people; however, I don't think it should be completely abolished. If someone needs help, by all means, they should get help, and try to maintain it.I just don't think it's right when someone lives off welfare because they have a family and refuse to work.

• Yes, welfare is the government's responsibility.

Since we all pay into taxes, there should be welfare programs available to those who run into hard times. It should be limited in time and closely monitored by those who administer the programs to make sure that the right people are getting the help but it should be available.

• Whatever happened to self responsibility?

Both of my parents are the children of immigrants who came to this country with nothing and made something of themselves with ZERO welfare, Ebt, Free phones, Etc. What motivation does someone have to provide for themselves if they are provided everything for free by the government aka tax payers? Americans need to take responsibility for themselves and work- PERIOD. I don't care what your situation is- I and other people who work for a living should not have money taken out of our paychecks to pay for people who refuse to take care of themselves. I think charity organizations are a wonderful idea and should be encouraged but forcefully taking money from working people, Even if it's just a few dollars a month, IS WRONG. PERIOD. If you are incapable of providing for your family then stop having kids. If you are incapable of providing for your family is not someone else's responsibility to do so. Get a job! Mcdonalds doesn't even interview and hires people on the spot. The problem is people are too egotistical and entitled to work their hands to the bone to make money. I understand sometimes families fall on hard times that are out of their control- and that's what church, Family, Friends, And various other charities are for. Taxpayers should still not be held responsible for your family. Did you find out that baby your expecting has down syndrome or some other serious genetic defect? You should have to pay for that child's care yourself 100%. YOU CHOOSE to bring kids into the world, You should be 100% responsible for them regardless of what health issues they have.

• In majority of cases no.

My immigrant holocaust survivor grandparents with no money or skills made it to to upper middle class. And here's the twist, they never got any handouts from the government. They worked out this technique where you get a job, make money, save money & invest it. If they can do it, almost anybody can do it.

• It enables lazy people.

A lot of people in this world don't have any ambition to work or contribute to society, and those people do not deserve to be enabled to continue their foolish economy destroying ways. Some people get put in situations where they need a little help and thats ok but there should be a time limit or specific amount given to them, and thats it. People should have to apply and get given a specific amount of money or time to get their shit together and thats it. A bit of help is fine but using the government to fund you because you're too lazy to get a job is a misuse of the system.

• States should provide welfare

Most Americans live in the cities LA, NYC, Chicago, Miami, and Houston. Unemployment in these comfortable area where people can walk, bike and take public transport in abundant, these are also Sanctuary cities that pay for illegal migrant living. If a state decides they want to enact a SAFE PLACE for aliens those states should foot the bill not the farmer in rural Indiana who is saving for his/her child to go to college because the working class doesn't qualify for financial aid. I believe welfare is needed, and the state should pay not the feds.

• The bible says the we should care for one another.

Deuteronomy 15:7-11
    “If among you, one of your brothers should become poor, in any of your towns within your land that the Lord your God is giving you, you shall not harden your heart or shut your hand against your poor brother, but you shall open your hand to him and lend him sufficient for his need, whatever it may be. Take care lest there be an unworthy thought in your heart and you say, ‘The seventh year, the year of release is near,’ and your eye look grudgingly on your poor brother, and you give him nothing, and he cry to the Lord against you, and you be guilty of sin. You shall give to him freely, and your heart shall not be grudging when you give to him, because for this the Lord your God will bless you in all your work and in all that you undertake. For there will never cease to be poor in the land. Therefore I command you, ‘You shall open wide your hand to your brother, to the needy and to the poor, in your land.’

• No. The money belongs to the people not the government.

While charity is admirable, stealing from one to support another is not. My money, which is paid in taxes, is not intended for redistribution. No matter how noble the cause, it will never be moral for someone to take from one individual to help another. Please, if you feel compelled to give away that which you have, to those less fortunate, write a check or make a deposit directly, but don't legislate my morality and generosity. The question for those who oppose my point is simple. What entitles you to that which I have fought for and earned? I am a veteran (multiple OIF and OEF deployments), I own a business, and I have never received an inheritance or otherwise received "assistance;" I have been fortunate, and I give generously to causes that align with my values. I ask no other citizen to give their money to things that don't benefit them. Stop asking me to give you my money; it isn't yours, and you didn't earn it.

• It makes people lazy

It is morally unjust to steal compensation from labor from certain individuals just because they have been more successful. Almost everyone in america gets a fair shot at life and just because some people messed that up does not mean we can steal from those who worked hard and put in the hours to be successful. You can just drop out of high school and get checks from the government every week so much easier.

• It is killing the American Dream

Government is taking away from the american ideal that was ever present during the first half of the 1900's. When Government welfare was not given out to seemingly everyone, people had to fight to stay alive. That fight increased the economy, national pride, will power, and strength of this nation. The american dream, to be whatever you want to be, is all but dead. Why get a job when you can live off of welfare and do whatever the heck you want? People are too dependent on the government, and the will to survive and succeed is almost dead.

• No, churches should provide it.

No, the government should not provide welfare, because churches and other charities can do a much better job of it. Churches can get to know the people they are giving welfare, and they can do a better job offering them credit and job counseling. They can help vet for fraud and other abuses. The government should not provide it because the church can do a better job.

• Welfare is no safety net, it's a hammock!

Welfare, the moment it is created, creates a way of having bums take from the producers, by their act of failing to find work. They will usually be single mothers, with a father that ditched, whose children will become just as irresponsible. Look at Greece. End of story. 35% disability for pyros and pedos... That is disgusting.

>