• Smoking should stop

Smoking is rank.. It is an awful habit with the most disgusting consequences.. It has a very bad influence on younger people and its awful to see parents smoking around their children. It is wrong and should have never begun in this society. The smell is vile and the effects on teeth is horrendous. It is an all round disgrace.

• Government indeed has to tighten smoking laws.

I agree I don't have any right on others choice of living style. But smoking is such a style where not only the smoker is affecting his/her life but that of the person next to him. As a passive smoker I dont want to endanger my life for some fools.

• Yes they should

Smoking is bad for health Smoking can kill you and it takes time to kill you. You will suffer a lot before you die. You will leave behind love ones and I don't think anyone wants to see their loved ones suffer because of their unpleasant habit. Smoking in Public also poses a threat to society. Second hand smoking is more dangerous than first hand smoking.

• Smoking is bad for health

Smoking can kill you and it takes time to kill you. You will suffer a lot before you die. You will leave behind love ones and I don't think anyone wants to see their loved ones suffer because of their unpleasant habit. Smoking in Public also poses a threat to society. Second hand smoking is more dangerous than first hand smoking.

• I definitely agree

People from the age of 12-17 are smoking, and this might be a bad start for them since they are very young. They could get addicted, and later possibly get very sick. This sickness could even lead them to cancer, so I think the government really should tighten the laws.

• Why is this a hard choice?

If you smoke it will affect the ones around you and yourself if you do smoke. All it will do is lead to addiction and harm you until you die of lung cancer or shorted life spand. It will not even give positive affects in your life. It will make you look like a person that likes to smell a burning stick full of toxins for fun.

• The smokers just don’t care

I say No because the government is trying but the smokers keep smoking and they don’t care so the government really should stop trying. If the smokers don’t care about themselves then that’s their problem. If they don’t care about ruining their Kong’s, then that’s their loss because the government at least tried

• You shouldn't be allowed to harm others around you!!

I have very bad allergies that are especially affected by cigarette smoke. Even if we are both out, if you are near me with a cigarette, my sinus cavity immediately becomes inflamed. If I have to continue being around it, my sinus cavity gets so swollen that I can't breath through my nose. It's unbelievable so many people are just oblivious to how much smoking hurts OTHERS AROUND THEM. I've grown bitter towards smokes and hate that I have to suffer because they want to poison themselves. It's not fair. It's bad for EVERYONE. GET RID OF IT COMPLETELY.

• Yes ples do thees

Smoking bad, quitting good jhbsddddddddhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhh h h h hh h h h h h hh h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h hh h h h h h h hh h h h

• Smoking does kill

I’m going to ask you to do something. Single out five people you know, including yourself. One of you will die a premature death from smoking tobacco cigarettes, or at least, according to statistics. Smoking causes 1 in 5 deaths per year and is currently the leading cause of preventable deaths in the United States. Why should we watch and let our loved ones, our family, our friends, get hurt and potentially die due to the smoking of cigarettes? In order to protect our loved ones, we need to make more laws against smoking.

• I support free smoking.

The government should not tighten smoking laws, based on the fact that smoking is entirely a personal choice, and this nation is supposed to support all individual choices like smoking, even though smoking can cause a nuisance and pose a risk of health damage to others, that is the sacrifice we make for having a free nation.

• We have been fine up to this point.

There is no evidence that 2nd hand smoke actually causes any increase of cancer unless you are constantly exposed to it. Most of the harmful chemicals inside of the smoke die off and get diluted so much that by the time someone else inhales it doesn't really do any big amount of harm. People have been smoking for 100's of years and mankind survived. Smoking is a huge epidemic suddenly? This is only so people can feel better about themselves by "helping" others.

• No

Allowing government to regulate and control one group of people, gives equal access to a change of power to regulate you just as equally. Is smoking dangerous? Yes, so is driving, drinking, swimming, shady neighborhoods, drugs. Freedom should never be trumped for one group to protect another or both will end up loosing all freedom.

• I do not agree with the government tightening smoking laws.

Why should the government tighten smoking laws when they don't seem to care if another person drinks! If a person wants to smoke they should have the right to do so. This is a free country and I can't think of anyone who doesn't do something they enjoy. Yes, smoking is hazardous to your health but so is race car driving, sky diving, and excessive drinking as I stated before. The government should not have the right to tell people what to do in their personal life.

Posted by: EantDirty
  • Instead of tightening smoking laws, ban lawn chemicals which are much more harmful.

The entire anti-smoking campaign is based on not only the harmful effects of smoking but a moral issue that deems smoking "bad". If we are really concerned about our health, then lets look at lawn chemicals, chemicals in cosmetics and yes, the chemicals in cigarettes. It has been hypothesized that it is chemical fertilizer that causes the alpha-particle emission in cigarette smoke, thus causing cancers.

Posted by: 54IInferno
  • NO!!! Let people smoke

Smoking is a persons choice and if they want to smoke i say let them. People know the danger yet they still choose to do it. I think if people want to give up they can because they are plenty of product out there to help them. Smokers know that it will be life theterning but its a choice.

• Smoker's gonna smoke. if you want to prevent it, then you educate kids to never touch a cigarette.

Smoking is dangerous. Second hand smoking is dangerous. It's a vile monopoly that makes money on the cancer and death of people they managed to addict. Don't rule with an iron fist and make smoking illegal or price it out of range. That hurts people more than it heals. Making smoking illegal would just encourage a black market of tobacco, and you see what's happening with the marijuana black market. Too many people dying and too much government spending to prevent it, where it takes 200,000 bucks to keep a guy in jail for a year because of a 200 dollar drug transaction. In any situation of substance abuse, you just have to educate people to avoid them.

• I don't care if they tax more, but there are already strict laws in place.

For smokers, really the only place left to smoke is outside buildings from a distance, in the privacy of their homes or in their cars. I think America makes quite a bit of money off of the tobacco industry, and putting more restrictions on it would be counterproductive. I do not agree with marketing towards children, yet if an adult chooses to smoke it is one of the last things a person can legally do to take the edge off. Let them do it in peace.

Posted by: PointlessElbert47
  • Absolutely not.

Smokers get enough crap from everyone as it is, and it makes me pretty angry that 59% of this debate is pro giving us even MORE crap. This country isn't about control, it's about freedom. Don't like it? Move to Saudi Arabia.

• I don't think smoking laws should be tightened, because people should be allowed to do what they want to their own bodies.

Government agencies should not be allowed to regulate what people chose to do to their own bodies. People should be allowed to put whatever they want in their own bodies, because the next step would be regulating tattoos and body piercings.

Posted by: TriteMyron

>