Should the internet be regulated by the government?

• Porn porn porn

Kids could be searching innocent things on the internet and then BOOM! PORN PORN PORN they could be scared for their life and then they might show their parents and they would be the ones to get in trouble and what if they stumbeledd across an R rated movie or an 18 plus then they would be to scared to sleep and if the watched a scary movie then the parents would blame them again

• Anybody can do anything. . .

The resources we have available to us is uncanny! Any teen has free access to anything their thumbs wish! Take the bombing of the Boston Marathon. The second some random person decides to type the words "how to make a homemade bomb" is the second many deaths or tragedies can occur. Innocent people's lives depend on internet regulation!

• Yes it’s needs to

Well things called porn kids can see and their childhood can be turn into a aggressive person while frowning up into a person that has been the biggest person it’s awesome private th Bat has it been ugliest but bye people these are the way they get acted like nothing

• Yes it should

The only way to remove indecent images of children, Rape videos, Video's uploaded without consent, Terrorist material etc. . . Is to make sure we have control of what is hosted online. The argument of 'its taking away my privacy' is useless when so many women, Men and children especially have there privacy taken away and images/videos which can/will ruin there lives is shared for profit. The government and isp's monitoring the websites you visit is a small price to pay to stop child abuse.

• School Schootings?

In Florida there was a shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, FBI says Nikolas Cruz was posting very alarming posts of guns and commenting how he'd shoot up a school. If the government had control of technology then they could've prevented this horrible massacre which brings me back to my reason why the government should control social media. The government would be able to prevent school shootings or see if someone is acting a little suspicious

• The internet should be regulated the same way the media is

If your favorite media site starting reporting that America was in the center of the world, Would you believe them? If you say yes, then you need a dose of scrutiny. The internet, like every other data producing organization, needs to make sure that it posts the truth. The problem, no one wants to regulate it as they think that it will infringe on free speech. I'm fourteen, and I can't go into a R- rated theater without a person older than 17. So, Why can I find porn on GOOGLE IMAGES WITH SAFE SEARCH ON?? The internet will not regulate itself, so the GOVERNMENT, under the commerce clause in the constitution, can regulate interstate trade, I'm pretty sure that the server your on right not is not in your state. Therefore, it's interstate trading of data.

• Government Should Have Some but NOT too much control

Enough control to help monitor bad things that are posted and allowing people to have their privacy. Insure that what is posted is not offensive to the majority of people. Government should pass new laws that protect people from the government limiting what people post on the internet and how much control the government has of the internet.

• The internet should be controlled but only for safety reasons

I believe the internet should be controlled but only for safety reasons, as there are terrorist websites that terrorists use to spread their ideas and some teenagers and children are easily convinced. Other things government should control is drug dealing, weapon selling etc. But they should never ban sites for political benefits because this will show the people that there is no freedom of speech and people will go against the government.

• PORN kills lives

Pls don't kill ma kids. Pray for meh. I mean its god's plan. Imagine if I never met the broskis who made inyetrnet shiny and cool. Then the kids watching sexual content and be wanking their tallywagers . Ples help meh in the best way possinble. Pray for meh. PLSS

• The Internet needs regulation!

Yes, maybe the government is not the best organization to regulate the internet, especially since one government should not be able to control something the whole world has access to. But some sort of regulation must be enforced! Some sort of international group should be in charge of supervising parts of the internet and how said parts are used! Even a simple viewing license-one that can't be scammed by some crafty teen-would be all the difference in ensuring chaos does not ensue in our physical world because of our virtual world.

• People who say yes don't know how computers work.

Yes #1: Children seeing porn.
    Yes #2: People spend too much time on the computer.
    Yes #3: Terrorism
    Yes #4: Cyber bullying
    Yes #5: Hacking

#1. A simple Google search, could easily show you to block certain website(s) for people using the internet.
    #2. You can setup log-on schedules so that you can limit computer activity as much as you please. Also, a little self-control would help.
    #3. Terrorism will live long past the censoring of the internet, it would just restrict the people of the US to information about these subjects.
    #4. Cyber Bullying there is this awesome thing called BLOCK that allows you to block people who are harassing you online, if it is severe enough, REPORT them to the website admins, and/or authorities, if needed.
    #5. Hacking will always be around, it will never go away, id we secure the internet, hackers will be all over it, they live for the challenge.

All in all, if you said yes, please do yourself a favor and take an internet safety class or something.

• Education for the children

A lot of children use the Internet for good use like homework, research papers, and we need our privacy
    PRIVACY MATTERS!
    The Internet is a very useful tool for our college, high school, middle school, and even elementary schools. Controlling the internet is controlling our lives. Give us a break. PRIVACY MATTERS!

• Freedom will be terminated

If the government regulated the Internet, then it will cause MAJOR problems with wanting freedom. What I mean is that in order to get on websites that you frequently visit, you'll have to pay the government extra money in order to do so. Probably even more than once! So essentially, they'll put a tax on major websites like YouTube and Facebook. And minor websites (with the chance that one may be owned by a family member or even you) WILL BE COMPLETELY WIPED OFF CYBERSPACE!!!!! And you might have to pay MORE money than usual: some for keeping your website up, and the rest to browse it. IT MIGHT STILL BE MORE THAN ONCE!!!!! This is why I believe that the government cannot be allowed to regulate the Internet: LOADS of taxes. And that's already a real life problem! WE DO NOT NEED OR WANT A TAX ON THE INTERNET OF ALL THINGS!!!!!!!!!!

• The fat cats want a bigger piece of the pie.

Right now any user regardless of race, creed, religion or "WEALTH" can log on search, view, post on any site they have a desire to. When companies advertise there business to attract clients to view their business and or products online it should not have to include what income range or broadband range they would like to appeal to. When advertising in a newspaper or direct mail you may chose an area, for the most part you are not choosing income level. Its just another way for the companies that offer Internet services to increase their revenue when it works just fine the way it is. I'm not against companies making money, why should they be entitled to earn more money off what was not designed or invented by them. When TimeWarner blocked CBS being viewed if you were using timewarner broadband. Many people were outraged, some even cancelled their service. What is wrong with the way the Internet is currently working? The fat cats want are being greedy and want a bigger piece of the pie when they are not actually entitled to it.

• Internet should not be regulated.

When we speak about something being regulated, I wonder about who or what is supposed to regulate internet? Is this government? In this case, it would never work. If this are corporations - then we automatically give it up into their greedy hands - and they'll make sure to make their profit on our basic right.
    I won't claim that internet resembles our right to free speech because it's so much more. It's rather our right to free knowledge and information that it provides. When I read comments of those who are FOR internet regulation, I am rather surprised. I don't understand the reason to sensor internet. We have a mouth - does it need to be regulated by anything else then beholder? No it doesn't. You choose what you say - and it's better something coherent. I would also avoid comparing internet regulation to parental control, because parental control deals with your personal computer, but internet is an extremely powerful thing to be controlled by both bureaucratic organization, or greedy Scrooge. As for those parents who want to stop their children from watching porn - you'll never succeed. Just remember yourself in their age. If they really want it - they'll find the way to do it.
    And lastly, some people say that it needs to be regulated because of the security reasons. I'd agree with this, however, as it's been proven, government is not able to successfully do it. All they can do is collect our emails or calls, and use their base when there's a need. If this is their way of "securing" our online live, I'd better get off this train.

• Should they be able to find every little detail of your life? Absolutely not.

We have the freedom of speech. The government, back in the day was limited to very few tasks, and regulating the people and their conversations was NOT one of them. The government regulates the news and internet, keeping certain things from the general public. We have the freedom of speech, and our natural rights include the right of pursuit of happiness. If for some disturbing reason your pursuit of happiness is to search perverted stuff on the internet, the government can do nothing to stop you. The government also tries to keep news stories from the public, and who knows, they may even delete this comment. I am not a person paranoid of "conspiracies", but I do know that the government keeps things from the public, and we have the right to know.
    I would like to send a shout-out to my fellow teenagers out there: I am 16 years old and I genuinely care about the freedoms the government is taking away from the people every single day. I invite you to do the same. Take a stand to protect our rights.

• It's Fundamental to free speech

For centuries ordinary people have had no voice and now we do this creates a problem for governments as they want to control us. I admit the internet has bad point but if you are that easily offended you shouldn't be on the internet. Using the internet many scandals have been exposed and spread across the world this wasn't possible in yesteryear.

• No to me a falls under free speech and free expression. Certainly not!!!

I don't think the Internet should be regulated. It is a place of free speech and free expression, which means that some people (mostly parents) will need to monitor what their kids are doing on the Internet. Of course not. The government is group of people that rule the country and its people for interests of the group. Internet is most democratic system for information's distribution. Yes, I agree that this problem is hard, 'cause there are many porno sites, but I think even this shouldn't be controlled by the government.

• This would be counterintuitive

It would be a useless attempt to create welfare to the US government by creating a financial drain to the US taxpayers. Ironically this would create an entire new governmental agency that needs funding. This would equate to a waste tax dollars to enforce taxation. It would hinder growth and hijack the beautiful potential to give every human a voice in the conversation. Do not make the same mistake with the internet as we did with the DEA, NSA, CIA and IRS. We need less government, not more.

• Certainly not. They have no right to see what we do day in and day out.

The government has already done things that should not be respected. If only twenty percent of what the government does is honorable, we shouldn't trust what they will do now, no matter how helpful they wish to announce it as. If we give them one inch, they will take another and another until they rule us completely as if we have no right to the choices we should be able to make. Personally, I would call it a crime to spy on people who have not done and will not do any harm to the government.