• Smoking should be illegal for any age.

Individuals are not competent enough at any age to make their own decisions. We need local, state, and federal government to step in and tell us what is right and what is wrong. That will fix all of our problems. We need to take parenting and personal responsibility out of the equation. Those are such outdated and irrelevant concepts now of days.

• Keep kids safe and healthy!

I fully support raising the legal age to purchase cigarettes to 21, right along with alcohol. Whether or not teens will continue to be "rebellious" and try to consume these harmful substances illegally is less of a concern than the ability of adults to fully prosecute, penalize, fine and in all other ways hold accountable the Big Tobacco companies, convenience store clerks, BFFs, negligent parents and others who enable these vulnerable young people to become addicted to harmful substances long before they have the necessary confidence, independence and developmental comprehension to choose against taking a first puff or first drink.

• Yes, I agree that the smoking age should be raised to 21, because it is more addictive and dangerous than alcohol, which has a 21-year old age limit, so it should at least equal that.

Yes, I agree that the smoking age should be raised to 21, because it is more addicting and harmful than alcohol, which has an age limit of 21. If alcohol can have that limit because it is dangerous and can get people into trouble, it should be the same for cigarettes. A lot of the time, people say a 21-year old age limit is best, because a person is not fully mature until their early 20s. So, wouldn't it be wiser to have the smoking age raised to 21, so young adults can make wiser decisions? I think raising the age limit could decrease smoking rates.

Posted by: I33Iess
  • Raise it to 21

The smoking age should be raised to 21 because many people at the age of 18 are still in high school. Everyone knows that tobacco is not allowed on school property, however, when you have immature 18 year olds who are technically "allowed" to smoke, then they will push the boundaries and bring it to school. This will in turn get them in a lot of trouble. When in high school teenagers try to fit in and be "cool" like the seniors. If the seniors happen to smoke because of age, then that is their decision, however, introducing it at such a young age to underclassmen no longer is just affecting them selves. Smoking affects the people around you due to second hand smoke.

• Better Regulation to protect our youth!

A substance as addictive and harmful as tobacco will be used and abused by youth, but by raising the age to 21, the perception of harm and cultural norm is shifted, bringing the dangers to the public eye, and decreasing youth use through easier enforcement (same legal age to purchase and use alcohol, and getting tobacco out of High Schools and Junior Highs, since no one will be of legal age to posess or use tobacco).

• Limit teenage access to cigarettes and improve retailer compliance

By raising the legal age to purchase tobacco to the same age as alcohol we reduce teen access to easy purchases. Every high school has an 18 year old who can buy cigarettes for under age students, but few have 21 year olds. We can then tie tobacco and alcohol retail licenses together increasing the risk for a retailer who allows someone under age to purchase these products. Better compliance and reduced access.

• I hate smokers

The reason I don't support is that that stuf can kill you and I actually care for people I hate that people smoke in front of me i mean that it can really kill you inside out first you have breathing problems then a hole in your throte and die.

• Smoking should be raised to 21

Smoking is terrible and no good for your body. If it's lowered some kids will pressure others to do it the the whole world will do it. We want the wold to be healthy no sick!No smoking = a better life. If you smok try and to stop or you'll be hefting your self!

• Keep kids healthy!!!

Report Post

• Just do it

Whether you want it or nah its gonna happen sooner or later.This change is crucial to our country and will make a huge difference in our world as many countries can see us as role models that are really the next einsteins of our current milky way galaxy warlords,earth.Yay for america

• I believe the smoking age is fine at 18. By raising the age, kids will feel more of a need to smoke earlier, to be "badass" and "rebellious", and overuse tobacco products, as they currently do with alcohol.

By leaving the smoking age lower, kids will see a smaller number of their friends begin to smoke, and will be able to decide for themselves whether they want to or not, rather than feeling like they should smoke just to be rebellious.

Posted by: BigLacy
  • Screw this rule and anyone who agrees with it

There is no perfectly good reason to raise the age limit. Why raise the age limit when the age limit now is totally fine. If you raise the age limit on smoking it's only going to make things worse. As my grandfather says "if it's not broken don't fix it"

• We know the risks

Us smokers know the risks associated with smoking. We choose to ignore these because we are adults and enjoy it. By raising the age to 21 you are only stripping away basic freedoms from young adults. The definition of adult should be changed to 21 as well as joining the army.

• No, because any minimum smoking age has proven to be ineffective.

Age is no matter, teens will always have a way to get cigarettes regardless of age. Kids smoke because they try to fit in with many other teens. Once they continue to do it, they begin to do it because they enjoy it. Fitting in no longer becomes the issue. Smoking is a choice; if a kid wants to smoke it's his own decision. Raising the age will only infuriate kids and cause them to rebel and find even more ways to get the tobacco they love.

• Once you're 18, you're an adult.

I dislike the smoking habit, I'd never personally do it. But once you're 18, you are indeed an adult and can choose for yourself whether you want to do such a thing. Taking away this ability will only make people want to do it more at a young age, so why bother?

• No

No I do not think that the age should be raised to the age of 21. The reason why I think that is because there are more serious issues that need to be looked at. When you're 17 you can be tried as an adult and you can enlist in the army. Smoking is a personal lifestyle and as long as it affects only the smoker it shouldn't be considered an issue. Who is the government to tell people that they can smoke at this certain age? And even though the drinking age is 21, how many people get arrested for underage drinking or how many people perish from drunk driving ? If that's the case shouldn't we just ban liquor all together? These are the same questions to think about when considering people who smoke. The age is not going to create anything but more of a media playground because then you will have underage people buying cigarettes.

• You can buy a gun at 18.

There is no reason to treat an adult like he or she cannot make his or her own decisions. The drinking age should be lowered to 18.

Also consider Colorado and Washington in all this. Smoke *what*? The question is ambiguous when we're in an era where we are beginning to legalize other smoking materials.

• Why make it higher?

Why should smoking be changed to age 21 when all its going to do is have more underage smoking? Why not actually move the smoking age down to 16? All these teens these days are smoking underage due to peer pressure and stress. So why not change it to 16 instead of 21? That's the real question.

• If I can vote, enlist in the military, & be tried as an adult, I can decide for myself if I'd like to have a cigarette

Upon becoming a legal adult, you become responsible for your own life. You can live on your own, support yourself, join the military and vote for the freaking president. At this age, you're old enough to make your own decisions. I'm not a smoker, I just believe in my constitutional freedoms and think that an adult should be able to make adult decisions

• Double standards and being an adult.

Drinking age: 21
    Proposed smoking age: 21
    Age for legally grabbing a gun and fighting to the death against other people (military): 18
    Do you see a problem? Do you spot a double standard? It should be pretty obvious. If a person has the trust and responsibility instilled in him by the government to fight for them and possibly die for them, I find it ridiculous and illogical to deny them the trust and responsibility of drinking or smoking. I propose an answer to these double standards without allowing high school students the ability to smoke: adjust the age for smoking, drinking, and joining the military to the same age. I think the perfect age for this is 19. If you are 19, chances are that you have graduated high school or are just about to. This means that seniors in high school cannot buy cigarettes for younger students, discouraging smoking among teens.

>