Should the United States Maintain Its Embargo Against Cuba?

  • Yes , No they are not dangerous

    The communist island of Cuba is no longer a real threat to a country like the United States but i believe that cuba should stay under an embargo until the government of cuba decides for better human rights laws , A more democratic society and just overall being peaceful to the US . A relationship does not work if both sides dont put in their fair share & yes i know people are hungry but just because you lift the embargo doesnt mean its going to feed those people its just going to make the 1% of wealthy communist loving cubans fatter.& not the other 99% of starving cuban citizens - A Cuban Refugee 2003

  • The United States should Maintain Its Embargo Against Cuba.

    Cuba is a dangerous communist country and we should continue to punish them with economic sanctions. If Cuba were able to trade with other countries, they would just start more conflicts like the Cuban Missile Crisis in the past. The best way to deal with this dangerous country is to impose sanctions.

  • Why is this still a thing?

    Why is this still a thing that goes on? Haven't the times passed enough that our anger and fear of a close island to our country has passed? I feel that if we attempted to make peace and were honest and sincere about it, that perhaps Cuba could one day become an actual ally to the US.

  • No the embargo hurts the us economy

    The US Chamber of Commerce opposes the embargo, saying that it costs the United States $1.2 billion annually in lost sales of exports. [19] A study by the Cuba Policy Foundation, a nonprofit founded by former US diplomats, estimated that the annual cost to the US economy could be as high as $4.84 billion in agricultural exports and related economic output. "If the embargo were lifted, the average American farmer would feel a difference in his or her life within two to three years," the study's author said. [20] A Mar. 2010 study by Texas A&M University calculated that removing the restrictions on agricultural exports and travel to Cuba could create as many as 6,000 jobs in the US. [19] Nine US governors released a letter on Oct. 14, 2015 urging Congress to lift the embargo, which stated: "Foreign competitors such as Canada, Brazil and the European Union are increasingly taking market share from U.S. industry [in Cuba], as these countries do not face the same restrictions on financing... Ending the embargo will create jobs here at home, especially in rural America, and will create new opportunities for U.S. agriculture

  • No

    The Cold War is over and there is no reason to isolate Cuba. They don't pose any threat to the United States because the USSR no longer exists and China isn't about to set up shop there. All it does is secure votes from critical voters in Florida and that is bad.

  • Well past relevance

    There's no reason this should still be going on. That would be a true statement a decade ago. It's not beneficial to anybody, but thankfully there are implications that we might be slowly working our way to being done with this. Cuba is headed in the right direction, we should be on speaking terms with them when they get there.

  • No, there is no reason.

    There is no reason to continue this embargo. We are not at war with Cuba, nor is there any reason to engage in any hostile acts with Cuba. Therefore, the embargo should be lifted. It would open up a lot of trade opportunities for both our nations, especially for the poor and destitute.

Leave a comment...
(Maximum 900 words)
No comments yet.